How can you tell how many rounds you have left in a gun?

Riche

was thinkin of making a mod for this. much like the coordinates mod. instead it's just on the side of your primary or secondary icon, depending on which you have your gun equipped, tells you how many bullets are in weapon and how many mags you have for it.  altho it sorta kills that realism side of it  of having to check your inventory and how many shots you have fired etc

was thinkin of making a mod for this. much like the coordinates mod. instead it's just on the side of your primary or secondary icon, depending on which you have your gun equipped, tells you how many bullets are in weapon and how many mags you have for it.  altho it sorta kills that realism side of it  of having to check your inventory and how many shots you have fired etc

Can you explain the logic behind this thought?

I don't know of a single gun or mag in rl that tells you how many bullets are left.  but i haven't fired any high tech guns.

but guns in video games always tell me how many bullets are left.

Are you sure you know what realism means?

Yeah, atm, counting your shots is the only way. Guns start empty, so you can count their max by how many shells you load in (with 'r') at the start. Shotgun, for example is 5.

Shotgun holds 6 rounds, not 5, surely?

Btw, I think this is an excellent mod idea, HeadshotDeluxe - if you can make a mod like this, you certainly should.

Who knows, if you make it, it might end up in the vanilla game at some point...

Currently, I only really use easy reload settings, but should move to normal. I was too lazy to change it - maybe that's why I never seem to get much XP for the reloading skill, is that affected by the choice of reload setting?

Edit:

Some ammo magazines have holes stamped in the side so you can see how many rounds are inside. But, from personal experience, a full clip is noticeably heavier than an almost empty one, and by pushing the round on top down (to feel the resistance of the spring inside the clip) you can feel if it's full, if it needs a couple more rounds to fill it up, or a lot more.

10 gage, 8 gage, 6 or 4 or 2you can get several loading sizes of shotguns and designs and to cap it different forms of shot. And addons. Etc etc.

Same with other weapons. You can get longer mags. Drums. Even belts depending on the weapon and design.

The world of balistic weapons is a very varied and creative world. Customisation is seen as the norm and people poor huge amounts of money in to making their choice of weapon easier to use towards them.

Yeah, atm, counting your shots is the only way. Guns start empty, so you can count their max by how many shells you load in (with 'r') at the start. Shotgun, for example is 5.

Shotgun holds 6 rounds, not 5, surely?

Btw, I think this is an excellent mod idea, HeadshotDeluxe - if you can make a mod like this, you certainly should.

Who knows, if you make it, it might end up in the vanilla game at some point...

Currently, I only really use easy reload settings, but should move to normal. I was too lazy to change it - maybe that's why I never seem to get much XP for the reloading skill, is that affected by the choice of reload setting?

Edit:

Some ammo magazines have holes stamped in the side so you can see how many rounds are inside. But, from personal experience, a full clip is noticeably heavier than an almost empty one, and by pushing the round on top down (to feel the resistance of the spring inside the clip) you can feel if it's full, if it needs a couple more rounds to fill it up, or a lot more.

Theres no point in upping reload difficulty until the next build! The settings don't save and you'll have to remember to set it to hard or normal every time you load. Pretty sure things get messed up and loaded ammo dissappears, magazines can only be found in new pistols, etc etc. I'd leave the reload difficulty alone for a while or start a new save to test it out

@PintLasher: thanks for pointing out that reload settings are flawed right now! I recall trying to change the setting over a month ago to play around with higher difficulty, and being frustrated at how it didn't respond correctly, similarly to what you wrote.

@HeadshotDeluxe: just knowing how many rounds are currently in the selected weapon plus loose rounds in main inventory would be a huge help in the middle of a firefight. Me like!

I'm a big fan of how the game is set up right now regarding the ammo system. I love the fact the pistol does not display the current mag as well how many I have in my equipped bag and my main inventory. Just running through the streets and popping off rounds here and there, you have to keep a mental reminder of how many spent and how many stored. I like rummaging through my bags looking for the other clips and in most cases panicking looking for the last half mag I have stored. I really don't think this game needs an ammo display, takes away from the game just the way I think about it.

I would just like there to be an indicator icon on the gun/magazine in my inventory to tell me if it is loaded or not while it is in my inventory. With minimal to no effort one can check to see if a firearm is loaded or not. You don't have to put a magazine into a gun and try firing it to check the capacity, you simply look at it and know.

I would just like there to be an indicator icon on the gun/magazine in my inventory to tell me if it is loaded or not while it is in my inventory. With minimal to no effort one can check to see if a firearm is loaded or not. You don't have to put a magazine into a gun and try firing it to check the capacity, you simply look at it and know.

Very true! That is one thing I would like. For when you have one loaded pistol in your inventory (doesn't matter if its one bullet or a dozen bullets loaded) I just wish it would give it a different name so it didn't get lumped in with the other unloaded pistols. I try to keep one pistol on me that is loaded and if I scavenge another pistol naturally is unloaded and it will get lumped in with my loaded pistol thats ready to rock n' roll. Just a minor issue that can delay you a couple seconds when its needed.

Let me give the real world explination of how you count your ammo, from an experienced soldiers perspecitive and a cops.  Rookies and Privates do what they do, until they learn better.

Soldier: You know you load out going in and have to gave a check after every fire fight (Bullets, Water & Wounds, add gas if you roll).  After every engagement you redistribute ammo and max out every mag you have.

1. M16A2 or M4 Carbine - You are firing semi automatic and you count your rounds.  I always counted down.  If I have a lul in the action and I am sitting low in my current mag, I switch out.  Nothing like being over run or trying to give cover fire and going "Bang!  Click!"  Also if I have to give a rep, I can just add then number of mags (x20) + what I have left.  3 mags + 12 rounds = 72.
  2. Crew Server Weapon (M60, SAW, M2, Mk19) - Experience gunners should have a feel for their load.  M2 and Mk19 are emplaced weapons, so you have cans of ammo.  You load you next to last can, you best have someone getting your more.  Nothing like running out and THEN shouting for more ammo.  Also, screaming "I'm out!" when you team knows that means low and taking a lag in fire can get an enemy to pop his head up thinking you are actually out.  :)
  3. M9 Beretta - This goes back to standard cop tactics, count your rounds.

Cop - Count your rounds, again I count down.  However, with standard automatic, the slide locks.  So it is not like you have to wait for the audible click.  This is not a revolver.  The slide locks back, you automatically drop the mag, slide in a new one and chamber the next round.  It is not EVER over, so be ready.

No you can do the Segal trick of pushing the slide back a bit to peek at a loaded round.... but that says he is accustomed to carrying around his weapon without a bullet in the pipe.  He checks to make sure.  Is it cool, yes.  However, I already know I am locked and loaded.  I dont have to peek.  If it is your last round, you can't tell by peeking in the chamber.

I carry a wheelgun for concealed carry and I still count rounds, I am just not as liberal with my trigger finger.  I only have to hit once with my .357 :)  Even wearing armor, 95%+ will be on their back "dazed and confused" or out cold.  I carry speed loads in my blazer.  Man I love my little Tarus, however it kills my hand when it goes a barking :P

Just to let you guys know - having it on hardcore has never caused me any issues but then I check every time I start up playing and after I load up, previous versions used to change settings all the time. If I remember correctly I had major problems before build 21 with mags or reloading even on newly found guns, seems to be gone now but I would definitely stick to using the same settings and not changing suddenly, likely that will screw you over. You have to have patience though with the mags showing up for pistols, they don't seem to appear in your inventory instantly so reloading the mag while being chased needs some finesse.

I like counting rounds, reminds me that my real life hud doesn't come with nifty info plastered all over the place.

Let me give the real world explination of how you count your ammo, from an experienced soldiers perspecitive and a cops.

Isn't that difficult while under fire? or just a matter of practice like anything else? I know I keep a count even on movies without meaning to.

Let me give the real world explination of how you count your ammo, from an experienced soldiers perspecitive and a cops.

Isn't that difficult while under fire? or just a matter of practice like anything else? I know I keep a count even on movies without meaning to.

Practice and a cool head.  Not to say it does not get your blood pumping.