Screams of agony

DIV

It doesn't make sense to me that the player in this game can take multiple scratches, bites, and blows and not make a peep from the pain.  I'd think most people, in real life, if they were bitten, would scream in agony.  This may make the game harder if it were implemented, but I would think it would increase the realism of the game.

As an offset to this feature, a trait could also be added that could do something along the lines of making the player less likely to scream or whimper in pain for minor injuries.

The player screams a lot if they torn apart, wouldn't take much to play a part of that sound effect when an attack hits.... like this idea too.... anything to make me jump :D

Can't for an animation s were you get torn apart. Guts n all.

I dunno.  Maybe this should be a negative in character creation.  Vocal (-2) -- Grunts, moans, talks, shouts and screams with negative stimilus moodles.

I have been bitten once, on the arm by a large dog while station at Ft Campbell.  I did not scream.  I did start cuffing the dog across the head and cursed at it while trying to get it off of me (both had no noticable effect).  I finally picked the dog up and slammed its head across the tailgate of the truck I was using and then pitched it into the bed of the vehicle.  The dogs gained its feet faster than I would have though possible and I ducked its snappy/lunge for my throat.  I had my sidearm out and was starting at the dog, its teeth barred with a low growl.  The then dog turned and trotted off.  I raised my weapon to drop a round in it when something caught my eye.  It was the blood spurting out of the artery in my arm!!  My vision went all wonky and I decided not to fire at the dog, trotting off about 75m in front of a housing sub-division.  I called for backup and was taken to the hospital.  We never found the dog :(

I never did scream, though my voice did sound pretty weak on the radio when I called for backup :P  If I had not been wearing my watch, the dog would have probably torn my wrist off.  That little stunt cost me a 2 month medical delay for PLDC.  Grrrr.

Yes, I did get the rabies series.  No, you do not have to take the shots in the stomach anymore.

Great idea, probably will get added with the NPC update. Text only though.

Can't stress this enough, I imagine people would get really annoyed hearing that loan grunting sound effect, especially considering the guy is quite the rest of the time. It would drive me up the bend at least. Or at the very least make the sound downplayed.

You're listening to this beautiful soundtrack, where upon you're hit by a zombie and all you hear is:

ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHH

I'm not saying we could get some sound at some point, it's just Project Zomboid is very atmosphere heavy. The music the sounds surrounding you, I just feel that sort of sound effect, where your character is quiet in all other regards, would become a bit of an annoyance, unless more sounds revolving around the player were included.

When I consider the proposition of screaming, I think we should simply look to those "speech clips" that appear above your head when you shout or when the NPCs talked. if you scream, that should float above your head. If a distant NPC that is not to far to not hear, but not in the picture screams, perhaps the "Aaugh!" line should appear to the side/corner of the screen, directing you to the source of the sound, but not utilizing speech.

EDIT: talking about NPC conversation gave me a new trait idea, how would "Mute" work?

When I consider the proposition of screaming, I think we should simply look to those "speech clips" that appear above your head when you shout or when the NPCs talked. if you scream, that should float above your head. If a distant NPC that is not to far to not hear, but not in the picture screams, perhaps the "Aaugh!" line should appear to the side/corner of the screen, directing you to the source of the sound, but not utilizing speech.

EDIT: talking about NPC conversation gave me a new trait idea, how would "Mute" work?

That is how most people think it would work.

Mute would be an interesting trait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was trying to lure a zombie from inside a house to the outside so I could kill him a little easier and decided to use the shout functionality. It's not something I'd normally use as I don't feel comfortable with the range even though your voice only seems to carry for a few feet.

It was then that I realized that screams of pain would be excellent mechanics within the game. You could hurt yourself doing any number of things. If your cooking skill is low you could burn/scold yourself. If your carpentry is low you could very easily bring a hammer down on a finger or thumb and of course you could very easily be scratched or bitten.

You could also have traits to offset these liabilities. High pain threshold or low pain threshold as appropriate. If you've been severely injured and returned to full health you may well develop this trait.

I thought it'd be useful as a mechanic for bringing zombies to your location. It'd also force the player to not take so many risks. You might be less likely to carry too much. Overburdened will increase the likelihood of injury. You'd be less likely to cook unless it was in good light. You'd not do carpentry in the middle of the night (as I have - and I'm sure everyone else - has done)

The only thing which puts me off this idea is when are you likely to scream?

I'd imagine to let out an involuntary bellow of pain you'd have to be hurt pretty badly. An adult might not make a noise if hurt otherwise.

Something to consider perhaps. As ever, I'm just brainstorming. If you don't like my idea then don't just ridicule it, offer an alternative suggestion. I'm not here to change the game, just offer suggestions.

I dont know about that. I have been in really fucking messed up situations like doing fun wrestling with my brother where he threw me into lego bricks ripping parts of my back open and i didnt scream out loud. He speared me into the thing on the wall that warms the room up if you turn it on, had a deep large cut in my head and i didnt scream, and when he was obese he fell right onto my foot and nearly broke it (the bone was kinda dislocated) and I didnt scream either. I wouldnt want my character to scream while sneaking in a horde simply because of being bitten by a zombie or because I have a wound, in which case I also dont scream or cry in agony. Im pretty sure if youre in the middle of a horde and try not to get seen you wouldnt scream loudly and alert a whole horde because of a scratch. Also note that I was in a young age, about 7-9 when all that happened and the sounds that I did were quiet "fffff..." "argh..." "fuck that hurts..." and not "ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHAHAHUAHUAHAUEHUEHEURHAHAHHAHAHARRRRGG"s. As a trait that adds points like +2 or +4 that would be ok, but not as a forced thing. Also, when my dog bit a deep bite into my arm I simply did that neck pinching thing with your fingers which shows dogs that youre the dominant one and it instantly let go, and even there I wouldnt scream loudly because of the bite, I just screamed loudly so that my parents would come and desinfected and get me to a doctor, but if I were in a zombie apocalypse situation I doubt id scream.