Can Someone Explain Pain to Me?

RegularX

I feel safe writing that title on a 'net forum, since it is less likely that I'll get injured in a humorous attempt to respond...

I get pain from like falling, or zombies, etc.  But sometimes pain just seems to ... happen?  Is there something else associated like time walking/running?  Being too close to a hot stove?

It seems like the pain is a bit extreme though. one scratch and I am in agony (no I wasn't infected) or if i jump out a second story window i am in massive pain and will go into a terminal state of health if I do it again. I have jumped off a nice sized playground when i was in elementary school and it didn't put me in extreme pain or nearly kill me (maybe the character lands face or spine first?).

It seems like the pain is a bit extreme though. one scratch and I am in agony (no I wasn't infected) or if i jump out a second story window i am in massive pain and will go into a terminal state of health if I do it again. I have jumped off a nice sized playground when i was in elementary school and it didn't put me in extreme pain or nearly kill me (maybe the character lands face or spine first?).

Children are lighter. And I doubt a playground would reach two stories. Also, barkchips?

A zombie 'scratch' is probably more of a deep gash. It's quite painful, believe me. 

Children are lighter. And I doubt a playground would reach two stories. Also, barkchips?

A zombie 'scratch' is probably more of a deep gash. It's quite painful, believe me. 

pretty close to it when you include the railing on an already good sized playground but i suppose you have a point however i still wouldn't be in agony over it.

Well, considering a "scratch" in this game is something that bleeds pretty badly until you get a bandage on it, that would mean it's a fairly deep or long gash. And considering the fact that it's from a zombie, the wound is likely pretty ragged what with it being torn open by jagged, chipped, filth encrusted fingernails.

Agony is a subjective term, more or less, but a wound like that would be pretty damn painful.

Well, considering a "scratch" in this game is something that bleeds pretty badly until you get a bandage on it, that would mean it's a fairly deep or long gash. And considering the fact that it's from a zombie, the wound is likely pretty ragged what with it being torn open by jagged, chipped, filth encrusted fingernails.

Agony is a subjective term, more or less, but a wound like that would be pretty damn painful.

keep in mind though they aren't superhuman and they don't have super long nails which is why I didn't think of the cut being like a knife wound unless I have misunderstood the lore (Romero/Max Brooks ?) that they are following.

Hmm... It might be more like a rip, I guess? Grab onto exposed flesh, dig in with sharp and jagged fingernails, and pull really hard. That'd certainly hurt like hell.

i winced thinking about that actaualy happening to me, THAT would put me in agony.

• If you ate rotten/uncooked food, its most likely you get food poisoned -PAIN

Your character like an average person will get sick from time to time - PAIN

If you are bitten, scratched, punched by zeds - PAIN 

Supposedly, rain is bugged and can kill you.

That's my assumption - that's it is another moodle that's already vanished, but now acting as an aftereffect.  It seems to resolve itself easily with time+rest+food, but I've often just blinked and wondered what I did to suddenly be in agony.

I mean, other than witnessing the entire fall of humanity - of course.

Hmm... It might be more like a rip, I guess? Grab onto exposed flesh, dig in with sharp and jagged fingernails, and pull really hard. That'd certainly hurt like hell.

And since zombies use ALL their strength whereas humans wouldn't when scratching someone since you would feel bad about it/not want to hurt them, that combined with what you said... ouch.

I think scratches need to be renamed because they dont sound as severe. The zombie has broken through your flesh with its nails and caused bleeding and a 25% chance of infection. Sounds pretty painful and harsher than what "scratch" makes you think.

Yeah, but then it doesn't sound like something that would get you infected... What about keeping scratch, but making damage from it minimal? Then go around and add lacerations, which are more in line with what scratches currently do in game.