Starbound

TheCenturion

Risk of Rain is one of my all time favorite games, so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Chucklefish didn't develop RoR, they published it. Two-man studio Hopoo Games developed it.

Like others, I'll wait for meaty updates or until the game is released to jump back in.

Now that you say that I do remember that being the case- my bad. Would still like to trust them based on their involvement, even if that is a bit naive.

Hmm, Im seeing all of these really good opinions of starbound, I think I might get it.

But then I read the steam reviews, now Im not so sure...

Now Im thinking terraria.

Wait until it's fully released IMHO.

While it's true I had fun playing the early builds a lot of it came from the prospect of a constant stream of added content and wonder. That's pretty much gone now and all I see when I start up Starbound is a mediocre game that's fun early game, great mid game and a fucking pitiful "going through the motions" late game.

Hmm, Im seeing all of these really good opinions of starbound, I think I might get it.

But then I read the steam reviews, now Im not so sure...

Now Im thinking terraria.

If you don't have Terraria, get it. It's by far one of the best games I've ever played, it's the best example of difficulty curve the game's industry has probably ever seen, and there's a crazy amount of content. One of the VERY few games I'd give a straight 10/10 to if pressed.

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of renting a server for starbound (only a 10-person server, anything more than that is bloody expensive) anybody have experience with server renting?

I'd set my own one up, but I don't have the know-how or a device decent enough.

EDIT: V. Upbeat giraffe changelog in the spoiler for those wondering about what it does.

http://playstarbound.com/hark-a-stable-update-v-upbeat-giraffe/

I'm thinking of renting a server for starbound (only a 10-person server, anything more than that is bloody expensive) anybody have experience with server renting?

I'd set my own one up, but I don't have the know-how or a device decent enough.

EDIT: V. Upbeat giraffe changelog in the spoiler for those wondering about what it does.

http://playstarbound.com/hark-a-stable-update-v-upbeat-giraffe/

could me and a buddy join that server? we are having trouble hosting our own

Alright, it's done - I'll message you guys.

The server is up for one month, if all goes well I might renew it again.

12 players maximum, will be adding a password so the IP/Port and Server pass will be included in the PMs I send out, please try to restrict how many people you bring on - So far there's about four people who will be using this, but I doubt it'll be hard for that number to inflate if more people ask to join.

EDIT:

Once the server is set-up, that is.

I may be interested in playing, though I must admit there are some things I feel this game took a wrong turn with. Like, for instance, the fact that the only real difference between the races was cosmetic. The developers point was that they were trying to promote equality or something, which to me sounds ridiculous. Not to mention, equality doesn't mean that everyone has to be the same, that's just conformity. Anyway, there seems to now be some differentiation between the races besides cosmetically and I like how some of the additions look on paper.

If someone wants to play, or if you set up your server, I'd be down!

You are aware that each species is meant to have its own unique abilities, right? *

Not to mention the weapon types they can craft early-on in the game is pretty different, now that the Novakids are in.

* The abilities haven't been implemented yet

I didn't know that but it's good to hear, I used to follow the game but I was incredibly turned off by much of the playerbase. People ranting and screaming at you the moment you voice any sort of critique on where the game may be headed, which is both strange and annoying when the point of Early Access(betas,alphas) is to make such critiques. One thing I would argue for was making the races different in some aspect, even subtle changes, so that they weren't just carbon copies of one another.

At the time, the different armors and weapons could eventually be built by all races so each play through was unaffected by the race you chose. I remember getting so much hate just for suggesting that Avians, or whatever they're called, set to be better jumpers. Hytotl's to be able to swim faster. The point was that I was suggesting subtle changes, and yet they acted as if I were some sort of traditionalist Nazi because I want the races to be "different" and therefore "unequal." It was ludicrous and offensive, considering I've faced real discrimination in my life, and they felt that somehow making the races different was some sort of discrimination. The outrage caught me off guard and it really made discussing anything about the game redundant. Since I couldn't have my voice be heard when that's the point of an Early Access, or else be drowned under an avalanche of vitriol, I gave up on the game. . . Anyway, let us know if you do set up the server, I'm sure there would be a few fellow Zomboiders eager to play, I don't really know many people that play the game so could be fun.

I'm playing now on the server if anyone else wants to join, just on my own at the moment.

Edit: So, after collecting core fragments at the starting planet's core, I tried warping to another planet in the starting solar system. I've been able to teleport onto that planet, but regardless of which version of Starbound I launch (experimental, openGl), it will crash. The starting planet I can play fine but, unfortunately, can't move off of it.

Edit: So, after collecting core fragments at the starting planet's core, I tried warping to another planet in the starting solar system. I've been able to teleport onto that planet, but regardless of which version of Starbound I launch (experimental, openGl), it will crash. The starting planet I can play fine but, unfortunately, can't move off of it.

That's odd.. As much as I don't want to recommend this have you tried removing Starbound entirely then re downloading it?

That's odd.. As much as I don't want to recommend this have you tried removing Starbound entirely then re downloading it?

I'm going to check and see if it happens during single player as well. My truck had problems this morning so I'm taking my first day off of the year! My streak is at an end! :D

What is this "day off" you speak of? I know naught of these things.

It's this legendary day where you do..

Nothing.

Speaking of which, you want in on the server Rath?

Even better than doing nothing, you do everything you need to do that your job does not allow you to do on an average day! As in fix things, plan, and speak to businesses that are otherwise closed while you're at work. It's pretty cool!