How Will Trolls Be Dealt With in Multi-player?

ShotSpeedUp

I was considering this statement earlier while roaming about West Point, and thought what trolls would do and how it would affect the experience of PZ. I pondered one scenario; someone shooting a shotgun saying, "ha fagets i'm c00l shotin shotgun umad?" and attracting zombies to them and meeting their ultimate demise. Do you think the multi-player will be a fuckfest of trolls? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

Frankly, I think that such people will exist in any game whether you like it or not. I don't, but usually I don't let it bother me, unless it becomes too common (think DayZ).

I personally feel that PZ will be stronger with private servers over public, simply because a full, open public server will be very chaotic (still don't agree about online respawning either). That, and I'm hoping the game will end up to the point that the players that exist only to become idiots won't make it long. Hopefully those sorts of players will die out quite quickly, simply because they run around with a shotgun yelling. :P They make good targets, you know.

If you want it to be story friendly, consider them the people that go mad after the apocalypse. They shouldn't pose much of a threat. 

Frankly, I think that such people will exist in any game whether you like it or not. I don't, but usually I don't let it bother me, unless it becomes too common (think DayZ).

I personally feel that PZ will be stronger with private servers over public, simply because a full, open public server will be very chaotic (still don't agree about online respawning either). That, and I'm hoping the game will end up to the point that the players that exist only to become idiots won't make it long. Hopefully those sorts of players will die out quite quickly, simply because they run around with a shotgun yelling. :P They make good targets, you know.

If you want it to be story friendly, consider them the people that go mad after the apocalypse. They shouldn't pose much of a threat. 

Yes I agree, and this community is a strong and loving one. They should be spread far and thin. Hopefully!

My thought on "respawning" is that dying boots you back to character creation. And maybe lock you out of looting your own corpse so you can't just run back and grab your stuff.

Oh how lovely it will be.

Besides the dude shooting a shot gun running around can be killed. And shooting a gun off, won't attract a massive hoard unless your dumb enough to build a safehouse next to one. And even if so, the zombies would go after that guy not your base.

I like it. The trolls won't survive a week, and maybe they will band together and become a colony for which I will demolish.

eh shit. There goes my imagination.

Hordes are fairly easy to lure wherever you want if you know what you're doing though. I think for that very reason a group of maybe 2 skilled players could be much more dangerous than large colonies, simply for the fact that the smaller number is quieter and can coordinate more easily. That's certainly going to be my plan of attack. 2 players with guns that are coordinating could lure multiple hordes in at once from pretty much wherever. Especially if we end up getting portable/droppable noise makers.

Like most things, I'd like to deal with such people in-game as much as possible. The potential greatness of this game is great, so great that trolls are going to have a hard time being . . . well, trolls. Which is a great thing in my opinion. These people are worse than entitled gamers and are sorely in need of a reality check.

Trolls won't be bothering me since I'll be solely playing it co-op with people I know.

But you will get trolls regardless and the sad thing about that is death is final in Zomboid so getting griefed will have a much bigger impact than it would in the likes of say DayZ. Although I do reckon it will be a lot less of an issue than it is in other games.

Although I do reckon it will be a lot less of an issue than it is in other games.

I beg to differ, it is relatively easy to fuck things up for people in this game

Hence why it will be less of an issue. These things tend to work in opposites.

Could be wrong, but I'm hoping that the harshness of death will deter all but the most hardened of trolls away.

I think a cool feature (like stated earlier in the thread) would be when you die it boots you from the server. And then possibly puts a "You just died, wait (x) minutes before you can rejoin!" message when you try to rejoin to prevent the whole "I just got killed and will reloot my own body" and always have random spawns. That's for PUBLIC at least. I think Last Stand with public people would be AMAZING.

ALSO, I think public should only allow 8 on Survival (maybe 10) and 4 on last stand (similar to left4dead) 

Would be pretty nice to have a huge city, and then you stumble across a boarded up house and go "oh snap, HELLO IS SOMEONE THERE?"

Sure there will be trolls, but if they WANT to die... I mean, it's dumb. The point of the game is try to survive as long as possible, and they say "I want to die?" Okay. The point is to TRY to survive, I could understand if you could "WIN" the game, but if you are eventually going to die? pointless to troll it.

My guess is at the beginning of a game the players and NPCs spawn in and play. When a completly new guy joins the game, he either takes over a NPC or spawns on the far edge of the map, because he emigrated from an area.

I think there should be Hardcore servers like in minecraft, when you die you get banned until really all people have died.

My guess is at the beginning of a game the players and NPCs spawn in and play. When a completly new guy joins the game, he either takes over a NPC or spawns on the far edge of the map, because he emigrated from an area.

I think there should be Hardcore servers like in minecraft, when you die you get banned until really all people have died.

Well you kinda contradicted what you said

-completly new guy joins the game

-get banned until really all people have died

So yeah its not going to end up well.

I really dont see Zomboid as a game with more than 10 people playing in the same map.

I mean 2-4 players would be the best expirence if you know them.

Still i dont see how the game would continue after maybe some 10 hours of game in-server, most of the stuff would have been looted, most of the food would be rotten as well.

After that, the game would become a game about stealing crops or farmed food from other players.

But for the trolls thing, you cant do anything really, if people want to mess with you they will unless there is a fear of death, something like you said about banning someone from the server. Still for how long are you going to be banned?

Maybe when you rejoin the server, since you died, you get bad traits (hard of hearing,overweight,ect) and each hour you survive you remove 1 bad trait, but each time you die you gain another one?

This would lead to players trolling and killing each other just to make people mad over dying.

There is no escape from this 

Zomboid has (in my opinion) the best and most friendliest gaming community out there, so I don't think there will be many trolls to begin with however im not saying we don't have trolls in the community and I certainly don't want to see (when its multiplayer) zomboid to go downhill because multiplayer is based around pvp rather than survival. I place my trust in the devs that they will think of some thing to over come this but for now lets just enjoy our wubuless zomboid :3 (p.s cant wait for npcs!!)

It's also important to differentiate griefing from players who just want to be utter complete bastards.

The kind that are rping to survive at whatever cost, even if it means indiscriminate killing and stealing your stuff.

Thing is you don't really know why their doing it; there could be legit reasons behind it and there could be just lots of lollies.