when will NPCs return?

elthore

This post'll contain a bunch of guesswork and what not, but basically, IndieStone said NPCs will return with version 3.0. Currently we're on 2.9.9.17 or in short, 2.17. If they do NOT start skipping version numbers eventually, we're 83 updates away from version 3.0. If we do get weekly updates continuosly, that means 83 weeks, so more like one and a half years til 3.0 and NPCs.

I'm under no illusion when it comes to this - the numbering is pretty much a perfect way to make people stick around while being able to say: 3.0 will bring NPCs finally! I'm saying this with all due respect and I also really like the game, but if we go through every single number between now, 17, and 99/100/3.0 at the current rate of update output, I'll be extremely disappointed - not with the game itself but with the cheapness of this version number thing. If what I wrote will turn out to be actual fact like I said in my first paragraph, you can throw three months until NPCs are back in right out the window. Just do the maths...

This post'll contain a bunch of guesswork and what not, but basically, IndieStone said NPCs will return with version 3.0. Currently we're on 2.9.9.17 or in short, 2.17. If they do NOT start skipping version numbers eventually, we're 83 updates away from version 3.0. If we do get weekly updates continuosly, that means 83 weeks, so more like one and a half years til 3.0 and NPCs.

I'm under no illusion when it comes to this - the numbering is pretty much a perfect way to make people stick around while being able to say: 3.0 will bring NPCs finally! I'm saying this with all due respect and I also really like the game, but if we go through every single number between now, 17, and 99/100/3.0 at the current rate of update output, I'll be extremely disappointed - not with the game itself but with the cheapness of this version number thing. If what I wrote will turn out to be actual fact like I said in my first paragraph, you can throw three months until NPCs are back in right out the window. Just do the maths...

Who said we aren't having a 2.10.1 and start all over again, tinfoil? :P

"Coming Soon" Says everyone at Valve hq.

Well at least we can count to 3.

Can we? We're currently on Project Zomboid Alpha Version 0.2.0 RC2.9 Sub-Version 017 2.9.9.17. I'm not seeing any threes in there.

But we at one point had 2.9.9.13. That has a three in it.

Who said we aren't having a 2.10.1 and start all over again, tinfoil? :P

oh screw you im not w8ing like uh actually this can go on for more than 100 years because you can go on to 2.100.1 then 2.1000.2 oh god no ill be dust by then :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah well, for all I care you guys can all poke fun at what I posted earlier. At the end of the day I'd love it if I'm wrong and will be the first to admit it and also laugh about it - but until then no one will convince me otherwise. As it is, time will tell and show if I'll eat my words or not. 

I mean, the Steam version got an update, it sorta kinda fixed the blackscreen on savegame loading but so far, 2.17 is more borked than ANY of the previous versions combined. Seriously - it's what, three years of development now? Still incredibly bugged alpha? Kidding? I'm not trying to insult anybody but this is slowly but constantly kinda like as if 3D Realms had released early access versions of Duke Nukem Forever back in the days. 

Like I said, I will merrily eat my own words if this clusterf*** gets sorted within the next 3 months and we get NPCs within a reasonable timeframe from now, but until then I'll stand by what I said (I can be a little headstrong indeed) and will play State of Decay once it's out on Steam (whilst hoping for a less frustrating experience with that game). 

Every development process has it's ups and downs :)

I agree that it has taken much longer than expected but alas it will be fixed and I can live with that.

Soon!

Yeah well, for all I care you guys can all poke fun at what I posted earlier. At the end of the day I'd love it if I'm wrong and will be the first to admit it and also laugh about it - but until then no one will convince me otherwise. As it is, time will tell and show if I'll eat my words or not. 

I mean, the Steam version got an update, it sorta kinda fixed the blackscreen on savegame loading but so far, 2.17 is more borked than ANY of the previous versions combined. Seriously - it's what, three years of development now? Still incredibly bugged alpha? Kidding? I'm not trying to insult anybody but this is slowly but constantly kinda like as if 3D Realms had released early access versions of Duke Nukem Forever back in the days. 

Like I said, I will merrily eat my own words if this clusterf*** gets sorted within the next 3 months and we get NPCs within a reasonable timeframe from now, but until then I'll stand by what I said (I can be a little headstrong indeed) and will play State of Decay once it's out on Steam (whilst hoping for a less frustrating experience with that game). 

I don't think anyone was poking fun at you mate, they were just pointing out that versioning doesn't work like that.  The dev's likely said version 3.0 for the very reason that its doesn't imply a specific time frame.

:/ I'm a little fustrated that they promised a npc video 2 mondoids ago, then they brush it under the carpet to do work on steam? IMO steam isn't a necessity/priority... but that's my take on it

Steam is now a necessity/priority to the future of TIS.

The RC3 paradigm has been discontinued -- I'd link you to the old forum's post about this, but I'd have to find the darn thing.

They've moved to this new naming system to help alleviate confusion as to just what the heck is going on. That doesn't mean the features of RC3 won't be in, but they might be in for Steam's Version 1.0 build in the near future (that was supposed to be RC3).

I  kinda agree with this, when I use to post here early last year I mentioned I don't think the NPCs will be finished anytime soon, they will just keep getting pushed back and If they are they wouldn't be as smart as we are being told.

People said I was being silly and wait for a few months they will be here, fast forward to now and they have been put back for the 5th time? or Something.

I hope I'm wrong but they don't look like they will be around this year at all. I'm just following the evidence we have seen on here with the "NPCs are coming along fun" "NPCs are close now" etc then nothing. 

I  kinda agree with this, when I use to post here early last year I mentioned I don't think the NPCs will be finished anytime soon, they will just keep getting pushed back and If they are they wouldn't be as smart as we are being told.

People said I was being silly and wait for a few months they will be here, fast forward to now and they have been put back for the 5th time? or Something.

I hope I'm wrong but they don't look like they will be around this year at all. I'm just following the evidence we have seen on here with the "NPCs are coming along fun" "NPCs are close now" etc then nothing. 

I understand that you are a bit disappointed about the lack of NPCs in the current version (I guess we all are), but what you have to understand is that they are in the works and there are lots of other factors that have to be taken into account (just think about expanding the map, fixing bugs, etc.).

I'm pretty sure that we will have some form of NPC implementation this year (just look at the mondoids and all the progress there).