Easter Eggs!

LeoIvanov

So, I'm not sure if Project Zomboid already has them (Hence their name), but it'd be good if the game had some kind of easter egg in it, or more than one.

For example, if you wander too far off into the woods at night, you might hear some creepy noises that otherwise would never bother you at night (Howls, maybe some kind of nerve-ticking whispers). Or, since it's easter egg, why not even adding some kind of slenderman who at some point can be seen watching you from afar? So when some youtuber makes a letsplay, his viewers may go "Holy SHIT, have you seen it? I think there was Slenderman out there by those trees to the right at 07:33 o_O Not sure though."

You know, just a little something that either walks away from the main point of the game once (And reminds you that it isn't to be taken seriously), or just adds some rare references to something. (One type of chips/crisps that say "Andy" on them, etc)

If they told us, it'd ruin the point, wouldn't it?

I am not asking them to tell us if they have easter eggs or not, I am telling them to add if they haven't yet and trying to bring people who will support the idea/ tell us if they actually seen any easter eggs in PZ before.

I think there's certainly room in PZ for humor, but I'm not sure referencing outside sources is the way to do it. The penultimate struggle of horror games, and survival horror in particular is to never break immersion. By calling humor from other games, movies, etc. you remind the player that they are indeed playing a game, which directly detracts from immersion.

I'm not saying it couldn't be clever or funny , but I don't think this game is the right game for that flavor of humor.

I think there's certainly room in PZ for humor, but I'm not sure referencing outside sources is the way to do it. The penultimate struggle of horror games, and survival horror in particular is to never break immersion. By calling humor from other games, movies, etc. you remind the player that they are indeed playing a game, which directly detracts from immersion.

I'm not saying it couldn't be clever or funny , but I don't think this game is the right game for that flavor of humor.

Yeah, I think PZ world should be pure from other games references or else it won't feel as authentic as it is now.

Maybe if they added the "no more room in hell" speech from dawn of the dead over radio chatter or that sort of thing?

You know, just little ways to pay tribute to the greats of the genre.

But so far there is already little easter eggs (or at least oddities) in the NPC dialogue scripts.

That is why it's called an easter egg - they are meant to pull you out of immersion and make you grin, smile. They are also meant to bring in those references from other games/developer's lifes/forum inside jokes/ other stuff that you'd love to see when you stumble on it.

For example - Have a place where somewhere on it's wall (maybe even make it so it's on the other, non-visible side, mirrored and backwards, so people have problem distinguishing it from other "sprays") is written a thing like "The end is nigh - no ETA"

It's a simple and harmless joke, and it's not like it pulls you out of immersion that much, and definitely you get some good laugh/grin, and carry on playing. It will also bring replayability - you wouldn't believe how many people like the idea of hunting for easter eggs in the games.

In my "Slenderman" example, I never intended it to be like a usual thing, where Slenderman always watches you or something, but as an extra when you travel out in the woods and it becomes dark, and all you have is flashlight... People who played Slender, would most likely go "Oh man, it so reminds me of slenderman", when suddenly - BAM, SLENDER, WHAT THE FUCK? DID YOU SEE THAT TOO? WAS IT THERE? AM I IMAGINING THINGS? JESUS. I MUST CHECK INTERNET, SEE IF SOMEONE ELSE SEEN IT TOO. HOLY SHIT, SLENDERMAN IN PROJECT ZOMBOID, AAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I didn't want it to become a usual thing when you travel into forests, or even when you do it at night with flashlight. I meant to present it as a rare thing that happens 1/10 times, and doesn't stay there for too long to pull you out of immersion/to even notice it at first.

Edit : Easter Eggs are meant to be the things that you normally wouldn't stumble on if you technically weren't ESPECIALLY looking for it. Like in The Last of Us, for example, you wouldn't stumble on toy figures from Uncharted (With Drake, and other characters from it) if you weren't focusing your attention on specific toys in specific room. Weird eh?

That's really weird, because I've actually thought about a reworking of PZ as a coping-with-slendersickness-survival game, but been too shy to talk to anyone about it.

Like, with no zombies proxies going around trying to screw with you and slendy popping up trying to mutilate/adopt you, Then trying to survive as a proxy (if he decided to make you a proxy or something) and hunt other players or something. I don't know, it sounds really dumb now that I type it, but I'm going to post this anyway because it makes conversation.

I agree with Rathlord here. Please for the love of god I.S. Don't put bloody slendy in. It's been done to death. Please for christ's sake d̖̥͙̮̮͍̯o̪͇̹̺n̺͓̟̭͇'̪t̝ p̲͕͍̠̜̬u̠̣̲͖͎t̜̩̙͇ s͝҉̺̼͓l̛̦̰͓͈͈͖ͅȩ̺͡ń̘̗͡d͖͖̖̙͍̟̭͔͜͝͠e̴̴̛̲̱̥r̶̛͍̕m̪͕͈͡ͅa͔͓̪̱͓̜̘n̶̲͍͟ i̟n ̼t͈͓̻̺͔̳h̫̤̲̳i̭͔͙̖̫͉͕s̥̱͚ g̪̣a̦m̲̱͙͚e̗̭͖̭̦ͅ.͕̳̘͈̜ͅ

Leo I'm afraid you missed the point of my post so fundamentally I don't even know how to respond.

If I said "the primary struggle if survival horror games is never to have ice cream in them," you would have just giddily shouted "but I have chocolate ice cream!"

And it is from this post that I discovered the quite useful "like this" tool.

Leo I'm afraid you missed the point of my post so fundamentally I don't even know how to respond.

If I said "the primary struggle if survival horror games is never to have ice cream in them," you would have just giddily shouted "but I have chocolate ice cream!"

I was never trying to say that my "slenderman" example should be the one that they shall add to the game. :/ Can a man dream for once?

Anyway, There was this other example of mine... which doesn't involve "ice-cream". That being spray paintings on the wall with some forum inside jokes. E.G: "The end is nigh, no ETA"

Those aren't really the type of easter eggs that pull you out of immersion. Normal players would just take it as normal spray painting, and only those familiar with the "no ETA" would get the joke.