Easter Eggs!

LeoIvanov

I think there's certainly room in PZ for humor, but I'm not sure referencing outside sources is the way to do it. The penultimate struggle of horror games, and survival horror in particular is to never break immersion. By calling humor from other games, movies, etc. you remind the player that they are indeed playing a game, which directly detracts from immersion.

I'm not saying it couldn't be clever or funny , but I don't think this game is the right game for that flavor of humor.

I agree.

Such things could work in a "story" (e.g. Till Death Do Us Part), either official or a user-created one, just fine, but I don't think they'd work well with the tone of the default "sandbox" game of grim survival. A bunch of dated internet jokes would kill that for me.

A selectable "story" where the goal is to go out into the woods and find a guy dressed as Slenderman because he thinks it might scare the zombies away? Or one where you find an old bearded survivor in a cabin, insane with grief because he had to kill and eat the young girl he'd been travelling with to not starve? Or one featuring an NPC you encounter who's too busy photographing zombies in their underwear to notice them surrounding them ("Fantastic!")? That would be a lot of fun for a change and pretty damn funny. But having those things crop up in the basic, sandbox game at random would ruin the mood for me.

Of course, it could be done like New Vegas' Wild Wasteland, which solved the dilemma I had with liking Fallout 2's crazy stuff yet wishing it didn't kill the game's atmosphere so badly!

You.... you derailed the thread right back into it's original trajectory!

Now you know how Enigma feels on Skype with me.

Please, my only failing is spelling.

Oh, and those two words you've used that i haven't heard or read in several decades. I forgot about those.

My curiosity grows stronger and stronger...

Now you know how Enigma feels on Skype with me.

Please, my only failing is spelling.

Oh, and those two words you've used that i haven't heard or read in several decades. I forgot about those.

My curiosity grows stronger and stronger...

It was "sexual intercourse"

hahaha

Would you like some Aloe, EG? Because you just got burned.

I've always liked easter eggs, like those in Fallout 1: A gigantic footprint references Godzilla, yet fits in with the game about post-nuclear creatures, just fine.

A random whale is washed upon the shore, with a  pot of flowers shattered beside it (HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy);

Grey aliens crashed in an unknown craft out near the Glow -- turns out to be an early viral experiment gone wrong (all alien conspiracies).

Even Indiana Jones trapped in a fridge in Fallout: New Vegas is a good one.

All fit too well into the  game to be noticed at first.

That's the key. It has to be referential humor that fits within Project Zomboid, rather than stands out above it.

I've always liked easter eggs, like those in Fallout 1: A gigantic footprint references Godzilla, yet fits in with the game about post-nuclear creatures, just fine.

A random whale is washed upon the shore, with a  pot of flowers shattered beside it (HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy);

Grey aliens crashed in an unknown craft out near the Glow -- turns out to be an early viral experiment gone wrong (all alien conspiracies).

That's the key. It has to be referential humor that fits within Project Zomboid, rather than stands out above it.

What's interesting with those you mention is that they're all optional random encounters (like the Star Trek shuttlecraft crash or Monty Python ones, too). While I spotted almost every one of them as a fun joke rather than a part of the game, they didn't detract for me. Of course, Fallout was more "darkly humourous" than PZ, so that made the fit easier.

But if PZ had little optional things like that tucked in faraway corners (say, an isolated cabin with a Necronomicon book item on a desk), that would be equally fun to find and certainly wouldn't spoil the game, IMO.

Someone give this man a medal.