Switching to NPC's

willow512

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea, I don't like the idea of been able to switch between characters as and when you choose. I think it if you die then the game randomly picks a player who's skills was less or similar to that of the character you was playing with before he/she died (I wold rather have the characters skills reset though).

• 3 weeks later...

Or have it work a tad similar to State of Decay.

When it comes in the future, there will be NPC's, and some of them will be our friends, which means sooner or later we'll end up being bonded with them (E.G : Kate & Baldspot). It would suck a lot when you die and don't get to see what happens with Kate next. Now, of course - the concept of playing as complete different character and one day stumble on your old safehouse, and see it completely empty, and Kate dead on floor is pretty cool, but I'd rather watch the story of my friends/relatives end myself rather than having it handled somewhere behind the scenes. After all, it's us who create the stories when we play, not the game.

So, in conclusion - if the NPC is your good friend/relative (Wife, brother, whatever) you get to play as him/her when you die in the same world. Sounds good? Throw your thoughts.

hm, that is a tricky one. especially when you take the "respawn in the same continuity" out of the equation.

as long as respawning on the same map is enabled I'm against it.

if respawning on the same map isn't enabled furthermore in the future, then I'm still against it. BUT: I'd like to see what the group is upto, lets say you die and you get the chance to watch the group in spectator mode (obviously in fast forward) to see how they break apart or eat themselves or whatnot... and then start anew

I don't like the idea of switching characters in game but a 'reincarnation' mode would be alright; I wouldn't use it though unless I really wanted to see what happened but if that's what your concerned about why not some sort of ghost mode or something where you just get to speed up time and scroll around the map without being able to interfere? like an epilogue to your life or something? Switching npc's in game is a terrible idea though, it is quite literally the opposite of the games ambience and themes; its about YOUR survival. I cant change people attitudes towards me in real life by simply being them for a while, this would ruin the immersion of the game and its realistic approach to the apocalypse.

Note to self: Ghost mode sounds awesome.......

Willow, just for the sake of clarity, the last time Lemmy chatted about survivor groups he actually said leadership would probably be in the hands of NPC's long before it was in our hands, so there's that. Like I said, it invariably will destroy any kind of group dynamic you had.

Also, it's worth noting, being able to continue your world in survival may not be around much longer.

It would actually be EXACTLY like the sims: Two people hate each other --- you control both and let them do nice things to each other --- no challenge at all...

Hey! Hey! The sims is hard! Don't play, you know it's hard and you're just dissing my gaming experience in saying it's not! :P

That being said, I don't like the idea either.

Something along these lines did occur to us when we were chatting amongst ourselves about NPCs. Can see from both sides and it's a tough call.

The only thing I would say is if we had something along these lines, then simply having another NPC in your group would probably not be sufficient to allow a "switch to that char on death". There would probably be other conditions in play, such as, "how well you and he/she get on", etc. But it's something to think about.

• 1 year later...

Don't have time to read the entire thread, about to get on a flight, however, I do think it's an interesting idea.

OP has a good point, people make all sorts of alts and just log into the alt when they die. Then they can just recreate their old toon.

With what Rath is saying, there is no way to make it so players don't know where their dead body is. It's just like any old school RPG, but your stats reset then you get to go try to reclaim your body. Also, the spirit of the game, whether it is group or individual survival goes out the window in MP when there are griefers/KOS players or you log on and your entire fucking safehouse is demolished for no fucking reason. Devs are tryin to fix this with the new safehouse system, though, if anyone hasn't read the recent update. I would like to remind everyone that it is still a game, some aspects of reality aren't achievable, but I do have an idea for max realism: when you die the game gets deleted from your hard drive.

I think it would be cool if your toon turned into an NPC and persisted while you were offline, rather than the common sleep persistence. This way you could possibly set a schedule or routine and have him guard your safe house. Can't wait to see the capabilities of the NPCs, and to see what kind of grief will be brought on when entire colonies are wiped by asshole griefers.

Oh so are you talking about something kind of like that one zombie game (forgot the name of it) but it was an arcade game? That's interesting, good comment sir. I don't know why I didn't like it before (I just read my previous comment.) but maybe I'm misunderstanding and I really don't like it, but idk.