The new Ranged Weapon System

You can actually open the eye not looking down the scope when aiming a rifle. It can be a tad bit disconcerting, but you don't lose sight of your surroundings if you do it. Also, since you have to "aim" a gun to shoot, it would suck to lose your entire FOV just to pull the trigger on stuff at close range. Would impact gameplay extremely negatively imho.

When I hunt, I view the scope with both eyes open. It's how I was taught, and I hear it's not uncommon.

So yeah, I agree.

Yup, Standard training here. Both eyes open.

How often will the bolt action rifle actually appear?

I would hope it is slightly more common than the shotgun

For states with both high powered rifle and shotgun hunting, the amounts of each are pretty close to equal in my experience. I'd love to see some actual figures as to the shotgun/rifle/handgun ratio in the US, though, and statistics are much different in states like I live now (Iowa) where some/all of the state doesn't have any high powered rifle hunting seasons.

This is going to be an awfully dumb question but there seems to be a lot of gun experts here and I've never owned or fired a gun (and I live on the mean streets of Los Angeles no less).  I was under the impression that guns needed regular, careful, and frequent cleaning after each use.  Failing to clean your gun can result in a misfire which can potentially kill the user.  Is this true or are the dangers wildly exaggerated in my head?

I had heard Revolvers are better for novices in that the cleaning and maintenance is easier and safer.  Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I figured in KY every household would have a gun. How do we explain the in-game scarcity of firearms in homes to loot? I always figured "the owners ran out to fight zombies and died with their weapons in hand"

This is how I choose to explain the ridiculousness of finding a handful of bullets in random places throughout peoples' homes. I think it's pretty normal for people to store their ammo in places different than their gun, but they still usually store it in boxes. The ammo we find is the stuff that slipped through the cracks when the owner was GFTOing.

This is going to be an awfully dumb question but there seems to be a lot of gun experts here and I've never owned or fired a gun (and I live on the mean streets of Los Angeles no less).  I was under the impression that guns needed regular, careful, and frequent cleaning after each use.  Failing to clean your gun can result in a misfire which can potentially kill the user.  Is this true or are the dangers wildly exaggerated in my head?

I had heard Revolvers are better for novices in that the cleaning and maintenance is easier and safer.  Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Wildly exaggerated. You're thinking of, what, muskets? :3

But srsly, it takes at least 200 rounds for even the most unfriendly gun to start risking a misfire, and I think the current durability rate of guns sufficiently simulates that.

Though, some handguns might be lower than that. I doubt it's very significant, though.

Surely the Pistol will still be usable at aiming level 0 though, right? Especially if you're shooting at zombies less than 5 feet from you. I'm not sure how the new system handles distance in relation to accuracy, but in such a tiny space (given little to no panic), it would be an easy head shot.

Thanks MafiaPuppet. Are misfires typically lethal or do they just result in a broken gun?

All this gun talk has me thinking about taking my wife to a shooting range for a date. She would really enjoy it I'm sure. I assume I can rent a gun at one? I have such bad eyesight that I doubt I could hit the broad side of a barn. I'm more of a "support" type guy during the zombie apocalypse. Like peeling potatos or something.

To be honest, a jam is the most likely thing to happen with many/most firearms when they aren't cleaned and maintained properly. This simply requires you to cycle the action again or possibly open it up and pull the round out. With modern weapons, the chances of it actually exploding in your face are virtually nil. You'd have to have poured concrete down the barrel or something. Don't get me wrong- it happens from time to time (guns exploding, not pouring concrete down the barrel); it's just incredibly uncommon with modern firearms to the point where it wouldn't be worth representing in game in my opinion.

Surely the Pistol will still be usable at aiming level 0 though, right? Especially if you're shooting at zombies less than 5 feet from you. I'm not sure how the new system handles distance in relation to accuracy, but in such a tiny space (given little to no panic), it would be an easy head shot.

At,less than 5 feet from a zombie panic would not be negligible. Factoring in the need to get a head shot, an inexperienced person could maybe get two. If you're facing half a dozen zed in that situation irl... Run. You don't stand a chance. I've fired quite a few guns in my day, in not stressful situations, and if you're in that position you're zed food without backup.

Updated the OP with the weapon modification part ;)

[Weapons modifications !]

You love tuning ? You love weapons ? You'll LOVE Weapons Tuning ! Erm, modifications..

So yeah, modifications, they come in various type, scope, sling (or ammo belt), laser, red dot, canon extension, fiberglass stock...

You'll need a screwdriver to mount/unmount them, they'll increase or decrease some stats of your weapon, for example :

- x6 scope : increase your max range, increase the min raneg needed to aim (that's a bad thing, with a scope you won't be able to shoot at close distance, well, you can with some luck..), increase weight and aiming time.

Those modifications will come with some luck directly mounted on the rifle, or you can fine separated parts at a gunstore.

I KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ! I have superpower.. Or something, but yeah, I read your mind : You want silencer ?

Well, after many researches, silencer are really rare out there in Kentucky, they are expensive and need a ton of papers/registration, so everything is done for any modders to code them, once you have the sprite you'll just need a new items, check the current weapons modifications to understand, it's really easy.

But trust me, you'll have fun with those weapons modifications (if you don't.. Well, you're not a funny guy. That's not my fault :P)

One idea for an upgrade might be canted ironsights.   They are a secondary sight on a rifle that let you aim at close targets without using the optics.    That might take away or reduce the minimum range on rifles.

I use them in Battlefield 4 all the time.   I use the scope for distance shots but when moving into a building or around a corner I turn the rifle and bring up iron sights.   With a x6 scope and canted iron sights you've got all your ranges covered.    Maybe rarity would balance it.

I hope the new bolt action riflewill look something like the rifle in this picture, When the model get's made :)

I587Jay.jpg

Wow - what game is that from?!

It's not a game, It's a website where you can create a survivor. Tons of customization.

It is actually from game in developement called Inna Woods, which has released that dress-up thing :) It is an Jagged Alliance style game.

One idea for an upgrade might be canted ironsights.   They are a secondary sight on a rifle that let you aim at close targets without using the optics.    That might take away or reduce the minimum range on rifles.

-snip video-

I use them in Battlefield 3 all the time.

This isn't really something you find on civilian weapons... pretty much ever. Requires a rail system and they're quite uncommon. Further, none of the weapons we have in the game would be compatible with that style mounting system.

I admit it, I haven´t read all of the thread, shame on me, but wouldn´t it be possible to aim at a specific zombie? So in combat mode your mouse acts like the real aiming-point, so you can pinpoint a specific zombie/player/npc. All the randomising stuff based on skills would still apply.

-snip video-

I use them in Battlefield 3 all the time.

This isn't really something you find on civilian weapons... pretty much ever. Requires a rail system and they're quite uncommon. Further, none of the weapons we have in the game would be compatible with that style mounting system.

I just know what I read.   Robert mentioned .223.   Amazon has a $20 set of canted ironsights for an AR-15 with 1,100 reviews.   Just one product.

http://www.amazon.com/Front-Degree-Rapid-Transition-Backup/dp/B006X9DLQM

Just an idea.

I hope the new bolt action riflewill look something like the rifle in this picture, When the model get's made :)

I587Jay.jpg

Wow - what game is that from?!

It's not a game, It's a website where you can create a survivor. Tons of customization.

It is actually from game in developement called Inna Woods, which has released that dress-up thing :) It is an Jagged Alliance style game.

Wait so there is a survival game that looks like this?

Ok so even though build 28 will have some nice goodies for multiplayer, I'd say its primarily a firearms overhaul. Does this mean we'll finally get to have firearm magazines? 

It would be great to be able to find magazines around, load up the bullets comfortably at your safehouse, put two or three mags in the 'ammo belt', load one up into your pistol and go guns blazing into town square, mall or whatever.

Where tapping R would cycle through magazines and holding down R would unload/load magazine (so you can reload bullets onto the magazine). As for reloading magazines requiring you would equip it as primary or secondary and then hold down R to began reloading. 

I believe this system is fairly similar to the already one in place if you change reloading difficulty to highest. But that system is kind of buggy. And only having one magazine available kind of defeats the purpose. Not to mention it doesn't have a sprite assigned to it.

read the whole thread, can't believe no one even talked about magazines tsk tsk.