The new Ranged Weapon System

I'm a bit lazy to go through the 7 pages so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked (and it probably has).

How does the Policeman profession influences the aiming skill ? Do you have a basic "solid" aiming skill ? or do you level up faster ? like an XP multiplier as books do for other skills ?

And another question :

Will you fix the "reload difficulty" along with the weapon overhaul ? It's been broken for a while and it would make sense to see it back in the game while you guys are working on firearms imo ^^ I liked the fact we were able to remove magazines and have a couple of spare ones in our pocket instead of having a couple of loaded guns !

And It would be pretty nice to see it in MP, would add a more "tactical" aspect before going into quests/missions : preparing a few mags, maintening your weapon in a decent state etc...

Also I'm a gun noob irl, does bolt action rifles use magazines or do you load them bullet by bullet just like the shotgun ?

I did not know the older versions you could load individual magazines before using them.

The day that is added back in and if they add it the ability to check your magazine ammo count  will be great   (not starting dispute again promise)

• 3 weeks later...

The way firearms synergise with certain traits (coward and pistols don't mix well as you may already know - I think I could be a strong contender for Most Noisy and Futile Death Awards :P) I do appreciate, and it's helped me with balancing out my character traits instead of trying to min-max it so I get 4 good traits with 9 negative traits... experience is a good teacher :lol:

Despite my jokes towards minigun mayhem, I would prefer - especially at this stage - to not have full-auto weaponry; all that will do is rip through your ammo supply...

Any thoughts on a real aim-cursor? I´ve written more about it in post #95.

I talked with Lemmy and RJ about this at one point. It's doable, but I'm not sure it's doable in the short term. It may be a concept we can revisit later in development (no promises of course, after all I'm just the tech support guy :P )

Maybe this could be implemented specifically for certain types of career paths (police officer, security?, other 'firearms based' careers that may be available in future builds) when you start the game, and for other classes you have to get to a certain skill level before it kicks in? Just a brainstorm here :D

I shoot frequently, i also have a license to carry concealed.  Really like the panic and timing influence on aiming skills and also changing up the whole system, didn't enjoy how a "0" skill would be headshotting away at zombies in rapid fire while moving, LOL  I usually go shooting with two of my friends.  Both are crack shots with pistol if they take their time and set their stance, I am a decent shot if i take my time.  To make it where I can compete with them, we do timed intervals, ex. 2 shots in 3 seconds from draw or at tactical ready depending if out on my land or at the range.  The added stress of timing and competition makes it to where I can sometimes win and definitely mutiplies the size of the grouping.  Like with anything though, practice brings competency.  That said, I am usually terrified when I go to the range, not from zombies, but from the average person and their lack of firearm skills and disregard for safety.  I think if a "0" skill person is running and gunning the zombies with a pistol there should be a slight chance they shoot themselves.   And don't forget the 21 foot rule.  If a gun is holstered, an attacker can cover 21 feet and attack before an experienced shooter can pull and shoot, inexperience shooter would probably shoot themselves or get stabbed. 

Shotguns and spread.  Being from a rural area (live in city now), I can say that most people who have shotguns will have them for bird hunting with bird shot, or small rodents like the rabbit, There are a few tactical shotguns around, but most will be for hunting.  There will be some supermags around for shooting 3.5 inch mag buckshot (personally i believe the remington 870 supermag is one of the best weapons ever made), but even then, most people dont hunt large animals with shotguns these days.  The spread on the gun depends on what choke you have installed in the tip of the barrel or what choke the barrel is manufactured at.  Most guns sitting around in redneck land with be modifed or improved choke cause thats usually what people prefer when bird hunting and or rabbits.  

Choke patterns look something like this....   https://www.dropbox.com/s/9hjqyewi5mesz5t/chokes.jpg?dl=0

Assault rifles, depends on where you are located.  I am in north texas, i have a semi automatic ar-15 with 30 round mags, iron sights and a red dot sight, they are easy to get here and don't cost too much, but only in semiautomatic, no automatic.  There are 3 stores within 5 miles of me that carry them and in quantity, i live in metroplex.   rural areas they will be in more homes, but not in stores.  They take a lot more maintenance than your shotgun, rifle or pistol.  They would degrade a lot faster especially with low skill users.  And your 0 "skill" would have no idea how to load or shoot them.  It would take trial and error with lots of practice.  there are add ons that will make them almost fully automatic, like the bump fire stock, but there are not many of them around.  

.22's.  I have had a .22 pump action rifle since i was 8 years old.  wonderful weapon, takes very little know how or maintenance.  ex, i let my little brother borrow it, and he put over 10,000 rounds through it and never cleaned it.  i wasn't exactly happy about it, but it never jammed, but misfiring is a different story with rimfire ammunition.  rimfire ammuntion is cheap dirty stuff that frequently misfires. more you shoot, more chance of misfire.  would not take a .22 into a situation where there are more reliable weapons around. such as an axe or a .45 cal glock which i happen to shoot and carry.  

.22 automatic pistols, are terrible unless you keep them well maintained, which average person doesnt do.  i have a 22 automatic pistol for practicing back when 22 ammo was cheap, cleaned it every time i shot it, used a cleaner more expensive ammunition, and it would still jam, and no i wasn't limp wristing it.  add cheap and dirty ammunition to that equation and it's not a win win situation.   headshots with a .22??  LOL, with a rifle sure, but with a pistol the average person has hard enough time hitting center mass, forget a headshot.  and yes, they will bounce off of the skull, .22's will ricochet off of water if the angle is right, learned this from many years of shooting turtles in the pond.    

Anyways, thanks for updating the firearms and weapons system.  RJ if you are ever in the metroplex area, pm me and i will take you shooting if i am in country.  

Thanks for the feedback Spensume, lots of good stuff there.

I definitely concur that people who aren't familiar with firearms could have a fair chance of shooting themselves, especially in the legs/feet, however I'm not sure it makes for a great game mechanic- I can imagine it would be quite frustrating to have a character that's doing really well end up losing because an automated "mistake" shot them in the leg- just my 2 cents, though.

I got RJ to add in choke tubes already, so we're good there. I will make one note regarding big game and shotguns- some states don't have high powered rifle seasons for deer (such as my current location, Iowa), so places like this still have a fairly lively buckshot/slug scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure bump fire stocks were made illegal some years ago. Obviously that doesn't preclude them from existing, but they weren't real common to begin with and have gotten much less so.

I'm not sure whether you're talking about semi- or full automatic .22's, but you're right that they do jam a fair bit- nicer models are much more reliable, though. The semi-automatic Ruger .22 I shot with as a kid only jammed once on me to my recollection.

Thanks again for the input, and good shooting!

I definitely concur that people who aren't familiar with firearms could have a fair chance of shooting themselves, especially in the legs/feet, however I'm not sure it makes for a great game mechanic- I can imagine it would be quite frustrating to have a character that's doing really well end up losing because an automated "mistake" shot them in the leg- just my 2 cents, though.

I got RJ to add in choke tubes already, so we're good there. I will make one note regarding big game and shotguns- some states don't have high powered rifle seasons for deer (such as my current location, Iowa), so places like this still have a fairly lively buckshot/slug scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure bump fire stocks were made illegal some years ago. Obviously that doesn't preclude them from existing, but they weren't real common to begin with and have gotten much less so.

I'm not sure whether you're talking about semi- or full automatic .22's, but you're right that they do jam a fair bit- nicer models are much more reliable, though. The semi-automatic Ruger .22 I shot with as a kid only jammed once on me to my recollection.

Bumpfire was hovering in that legal/illegal limbo for awhile, not sure where it's at now.  I looked at buying one, for novelty, but then i did a cost analysis to .223 ammo, wasn't worth it.  Plus, what do I need fully automatic for?  No need for suppressive fire on varmint's or a burglars.  Pretty much same with zombies.  LOL.  I am enjoying the new system.

Just did some slaughtering with shotgun, noticed the choke was full.  very nice!

• 2 weeks later...