Really quick questions

doomblood66

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest easy AI opponent

3. Why do you keep asking? The answer remains the same. Constantly asking doesn't change an answer. Keeping track of the Mondoids can help keep you apprised of new developments. ;)

Refering to the Mondoids for a source for infos on NPC development is a joke as they contain no info whatsoever... at least for 2014.

3. Why do you keep asking? The answer remains the same. Constantly asking doesn't change an answer. Keeping track of the Mondoids can help keep you apprised of new developments. ;)

Refering to the Mondoids for a source for infos on NPC development is a joke as they contain no info whatsoever... at least for 2014.

And pointing  that out won't make some appear. Like as not, Connall is right: the answer remains the same and asking the question in a multitude of ways doesn't change it either. The Mondoids are your best bet for getting information . . . when it's available.

Mondoids not having info about NPCs is a pretty clear indicator that there is nothing the devs currently want to communicate about NPCs. Asking about it separately doesn't improve the situation.

Mondoids not having info about NPCs is a pretty clear indicator that there is nothing the devs currently want to communicate about NPCs. Asking about it separately doesn't improve the situation.

Well, you could always try and convince one of the devs to grab a few brews with you and have the issue *somehow* come up. That or go full ninja-infiltrator-stalker. Just don't be surprised if you still get the same answer - them be some persistently ETA-hatin' folk. Ask the McCoys. ;-))

1.) have no idea

2.)hope so

3.) i never played the game when it did have em so there's nothing to miss on my part, however seeing these thing here has gotten me excited about npc though, cough phew what cobwebs hehe.

Mondoid-01-07-2013    

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/01/tales-from-the-metaverse/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvHWTPzBwgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsL_7xQnCSA

all in good time, my friend

Guest easy AI opponent

Yeah that was last year. After this giant cliff hanger they announced something

big alongside NPC development "for the next week" just to shortly after announce

sidetracking NPCs in favour for Steam development.

Naturally this caused frustration. TIS blamed it to be the peoples fault for beeing hyped.

So they ceased to show any material of the NPCs. Shortly after they completely ceased giving out any inforamtion regarding NPCs.

you see its completly the peoples fault.

All this inforamtion can be found here:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7535-npcs/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4962-comment-i-made-on-mathas-latest-video/

But i repeat it for you and other newer forum members because this topic is not "pinned" anymore.

How can it be the fan's fault when it's TIS doing some of the hyping? :( There's a reason it won't be happening again unless they're sure of something more coming of it other than hurt feelings on both sides.

Obviously, with multiplayer now out, relatively stable, and the game on Steam, even back then NPCs couldn't have been very close (despite making them a topic in the blogs). We can even repeat this conversation in blog form: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/01/the-third-act-twist/

Or, even look at this week's Mondoid, where Chris mentions the future virtue of being able to work on NPC scripting with Ringod in the same room, due to the possibility of acquiring office space.

It'll take as long as it takes. We all have to make peace with that. :-|

Guest easy AI opponent

How can it be the fan's fault when it's TIS doing some of the hyping? :( There's a reason it won't be happening again unless they're sure of something more coming of it other than hurt feelings on both sides.

I can remember that mods claim something like "people like you are the reason why there is no information"....

But anyway even when its not the fans fault, its the fans who get punished with information deprivation.

Or, even look at this week's Mondoid, where Chris mentions the future virtue of being able to work on NPC scripting with Ringod in the same room, due to the possibility of acquiring office space.

What i read from that message is that its not going so well at the moment but hopefully it will get better once the guys can work in the same room.

Actually most if not all mondoids of this year have been somethin along the line:

..."we are starting to get the NPC train running again"...

..."we are preparing the ground work for dialing up on NPC development again"

or something.

Guest easy AI opponent

But anyway even when its not the fans fault, its the fans who get punished with information deprivation.

And with too much information, passions soar and dreams die. Quite the conundrum, isn't it?

Then why not try and find the right amount of inforamtion?

We already had to less and to much.

Now give us the intermediate! (fedora)

We would never blame those waiting for NPCs for 'being hyped', we blame OURSELVES for posting NPC videos and info way before it was going to be finished and hyping people too early. That's why we've stopped showing off stuff that's ages away, and why you only got to see MP videos about a week or two before it was released.

So we could totally do a Mondoid next week about NPCs. We could fill it full of lots of tasty NPC goodness, and people would be excited. And then it might take another two months to get finished with the NPCs, and everyone would be pissed. Those Mondoids would start getting referenced instead of the ones last year, and we'd just reignite the 'WHERE THE FKIN NPC' flame.

You've got to understand something about the Mondoids. We're so glad we do them, as it makes the community feel more informed as to what's going on, but bloody hell they are stressful affair. To be honest I haven't spent a weekend in the past year without stressing for the majority of it 'what are we going to write about this Mondoid'. We fell into the trap of wanting people to have a rewarding and rich information full Mondoid about NPCs, to help tide over the wait. But there's only so much you can show, and once that runs out either we have no information, or we start repeating ourselves. And in that pressure to provide interesting Mondoids for people, we once upon a time spilled beans way prematurely and we've learnt our lesson from that. Us not showing videos of NPCs doesn't mean there isn't videoable stuff about NPCs to show. It means we don't want to hype people for something that's still not directly around the corner.

NPCs are in development, they have been on and off since they started development. However they have had various rethinks, system rewrites, design changes, all par for the course for arguably one of the most complicated and ambitious NPC systems in the history of gaming? 

Are we capable of pulling it off? I'm 100% certain of it. We knew exactly our capabilities when starting this game off, and are not biting off more than we can chew. For all our foibles and failings, that is not one of them.

Are we however just going to be able to pull it out of the bag without roadblocks or other major design changes that reveal themselves to be necessary? Nope, that's not how game development works. That's before you consider the mental effect of working on something so hard without any breaks to work on other stuff. If I'd been working on NPCs solidly since those Mondoids were posted I'd be in a padded cell by now, and you'd not have your NPCs anyway. We can't do a magic trick and make NPCs miraculously finished, it's just hard relentless graft. And no, we're not releasing NPCs this week, or next, or the week after. That's just the way it is. And if it is gonna be 2-3 months before we're in a position to release them, then having NPC videos and crap on our Mondoid riling everyone up is the last thing in the world we should do.

TL;DR - We're working on it. It'll take as long as it takes, but surely we've earnt enough credit over the past 3 years that we'll stick to our promises and deliver what we promise, even if it takes longer than people would like. 

I don't care when NPCs come out. Cuz I know they will be balls-to-the-walls amazing when they do.

Ahah lemmy that was awesome post i'm glad there will be npcs and i don't mind if it takes a year because i know they'll be amazing thing

I actually feel slightly bad for TIS because this is the bar of expectation right now, which is why it's understandable why they would want to take their time in doing this when the community have such high expectations. Not bashing you guys, be hyped but keep in mind, it might not be everything you imagined. ;)

We would never blame those waiting for NPCs for 'being hyped', we blame OURSELVES for posting NPC videos and info way before it was going to be finished and hyping people too early. That's why we've stopped showing off stuff that's ages away, and why you only got to see MP videos about a week or two before it was released.

So we could totally do a Mondoid next week about NPCs. We could fill it full of lots of tasty NPC goodness, and people would be excited. And then it might take another two months to get finished with the NPCs, and everyone would be pissed. Those Mondoids would start getting referenced instead of the ones last year, and we'd just reignite the 'WHERE THE FKIN NPC' flame.

You've got to understand something about the Mondoids. We're so glad we do them, as it makes the community feel more informed as to what's going on, but bloody hell they are stressful affair. To be honest I haven't spent a weekend in the past year without stressing for the majority of it 'what are we going to write about this Mondoid'. We fell into the trap of wanting people to have a rewarding and rich information full Mondoid about NPCs, to help tide over the wait. But there's only so much you can show, and once that runs out either we have no information, or we start repeating ourselves. And in that pressure to provide interesting Mondoids for people, we once upon a time spilled beans way prematurely and we've learnt our lesson from that. Us not showing videos of NPCs doesn't mean there isn't videoable stuff about NPCs to show. It means we don't want to hype people for something that's still not directly around the corner.

NPCs are in development, they have been on and off since they started development. However they have had various rethinks, system rewrites, design changes, all par for the course for arguably one of the most complicated and ambitious NPC systems in the history of gaming? 

Are we capable of pulling it off? I'm 100% certain of it. We knew exactly our capabilities when starting this game off, and are not biting off more than we can chew. For all our foibles and failings, that is not one of them.

Are we however just going to be able to pull it out of the bag without roadblocks or other major design changes that reveal themselves to be necessary? Nope, that's not how game development works. That's before you consider the mental effect of working on something so hard without any breaks to work on other stuff. If I'd been working on NPCs solidly since those Mondoids were posted I'd be in a padded cell by now, and you'd not have your NPCs anyway. We can't do a magic trick and make NPCs miraculously finished, it's just hard relentless graft. And no, we're not releasing NPCs this week, or next, or the week after. That's just the way it is. And if it is gonna be 2-3 months before we're in a position to release them, then having NPC videos and crap on our Mondoid riling everyone up is the last thing in the world we should do.

TL;DR - We're working on it. It'll take as long as it takes, but surely we've earnt enough credit over the past 3 years that we'll stick to our promises and deliver what we promise, even if it takes longer than people would like. 

You know what the sad part of all this is,and i can see why you can be"irritated" at times with it to and thats explaining yourself over & over i mean, about the same stuff. How many posts on Facebook & here about "When NPC's comming?" yea the community wants it and you guys are hard at work to give it. That aside you guys have other works in the process to attend, like i, go to work for 9 hrs a day come home to play alittle zomboid & not ruin the moment with WHERE THE F*%K MY NPC's AT?!? then come to this site or others and say the same shit again, maybe even worse and give it a bad review.

Either way im here to have fun in the end, dident post the videos or anything to throw in anyone's face

Best of luck to you Dev's for your work & hardship,that saying for everyone else they can decide to shut it all down at anytime as states the intro/b4 menu.

Man would i miss my Spiffo at night though,

Id like to make a few points here.

I have high hopes for this game and have been loading up newer versions once in a while just to see if its got NPCs or if the MP has otherwise hit a level of development where I can give the go-ahead for my friends to purchase. Development seems slower than most of the other projects im following, so although Id very much like to host a server or LAN this up with pals, sometimes it seems like a bit of a lost cause.

Ive studied comp. sci. and I have somewhat of an understanding as to whats involved in the development processes, which for me has always included target dates. Even if these dates are later broken, they still hold meaning and value. One of the main reasons target dates are still stated even if they are only an estimate is so the developer can learn and give a better estimate next time. The attitude here towards declaring feature completion dates makes it seem as though this was a hobby project, not a business one intends to make a living from.

Anyways, dont be offended, you already got my money and im not even playing, but my friends are waiting to buy and my response to them is to wait indefinitely because there really is no better answer at the moment. 

So, im gonna keep checking back here once in a while and im gonna keep looking for those ETAs(and be disappointed most likely). I'll take an honest yet incorrect ETA over all of the mondoids, aint nobody got time for that!

Guest easy AI opponent

Ive studied comp. sci. and I have somewhat of an understanding as to whats involved in the development processes, which for me has always included target dates. Even if these dates are later broken, they still hold meaning and value. One of the main reasons target dates are still stated even if they are only an estimate is so the developer can learn and give a better estimate next time. The attitude here towards declaring feature completion dates makes it seem as though this was a hobby project, not a business one intends to make a living from.

He has a point.

Has nobody learned the virtue of patience these days, wtf ppl. Yea this games goes into 3 or 4 yrs dev right? Well for those that love star wars so much must of had a rough rough unhappy,"WHERE MY FKIN STAR WARS AT" life, considering they had to wait 16yrs for the next episode 

For this game is the expression of the artist itself, its there art and as beautiful as it is, but instead of embracing what it has to offer we complain about what it should havefer, its like everything that becomes new, as the builds goes on turns into, whats next, this old, im bored. Cant wait. just wow i guess i cant and never will understand it.