Shopping Trolley, Inventory Space Galore!

noxiousd

Where to find: Most markets, some storefronts, the occasional one strewn near abandoned buildings

Primary Use: To hold a large amount of gear (50-100 slots?) and transport it

Other possible uses: To carry corpses away, makeshift battering ram, carry injured friends

Negatives: Moves slower off road, makes a noise (similar radius to the shouting), can be tipped by Zombies (causing small wait to make it upright), can't be moved through doorways, possibly can rust/break?

Why its needed: Many a time me and my friends have become annoyed when trying to migrate our bases, or even just carry a few items at once, its really awkward slowly shuffing items between places, this would help (at least until vehicles or something that uses the railway is added)

I'd imagine it would be simple enough, just add in one of the boxes already ingame, and make it attach to a character (though im no expert)

This has been discussed quite a lot before. In the future, have a quick look with the search function before suggesting anything.

And, welcome to the forums! Apart from the odd friendly fire incident bit of close air support, we're a friendly bunch :)

I did, upon searching the term "shopping trolley" there was 1 comment hidden inside a thread vaguely mentioning it, this is a more in-depth explanation. :)

I don't know why, but when you called it a "Trolley" I felt the urge to harm children..

Regardless 30-50 slots is more fitting for the "Trolley"

Is it not called a trolley where your from? Its pretty commonly known as this in England

Ohohoh I know where its from..

Sorry watched a movie the other night, heard THE MOST ANNOYING ENGLISH ACCENTS EVER!

That and got forced to watch Harry Potter, The terminology just bothered me..

*cough cough*

Stuff like this will happen, used to have a wheelie bin for stuff like this.

This has been discussed quite a lot before. In the future, have a quick look with the search function before suggesting anything.

And, welcome to the forums! Apart from the odd friendly fire incident bit of close air support, we're a friendly bunch :)

Apollo!, don't tell them about that 'thing' where i stole Rathlord's hammer of Bannification, otherwise, i'm toast.

I kind of agree with this idea, one negative is that you would move a bit slower, but sprinting can help a tiny bit with pushing it. And yes, welcome to the forums. Where all devs put me in their watch list since i got 2 warning points!, now i'm hiring you to do my dirty work(Not really).

I did, upon searching the term "shopping trolley" there was 1 comment hidden inside a thread vaguely mentioning it, this is a more in-depth explanation. :)

Maybe try 'shopping cart' ;)

I do support this idea though. I'd also like to see hand trucks to move larger objects like fridges, sofas or large piles of heavy items etc. :P I like to choose the color of my sofa even in the apocalypse. :D I think this is a bit far fetched atm though.

I'd love a trolley, but how would it work exactly?

It'd have a pretty fat storage space suitable for lots of logs, planks, piles of canned goods, etc.

But how would it be moved around? Could its noise level vary? Will the player be able to "sneak" with it as well as "sprint"?

the noise a standard shopping cart from my local grocer makes would get every zombies attention for probably 2-300 yards all around, when going across a paved parking lot. they are not designed to be quiet, only to haul enough items that you go broke buying the weeks food needs.

there may be a way to deaden the sound with thin foam pads attached to the basket, but then you have the noise the wheels make. and trying to take one off a hard surface (concrete, blacktop) onto uneven grass, thru a field, even thru a wooded area could get frustrating and it could easily tip over....without having a load in it. would also cause issues with the wheels if they get stuff stuck in whatever type of ball bearing system they use.

don't get me wrong, i want something like this to haul logs back to the base like everyone else, but in real life it would be a hard thing to work with. and don't forget, the lower frame work, the part the wheels attach too, tends to get a little bent causing that one wheel to chatter and randomly spin in circles. you know what i mean, we've all had that one cart that drove you nuts in the store.

some people would suggest the plastic basket carts common at Wal Mart and Target, but those would most likely break when you threw a few logs in there, and there is no way to really fix broken plastic, you would end up wasting a lot of useful materials to try and keep the cart useful.

A little bit to add on to this here:

I know vehicles lining the streets are eventually planned, but what about taking Ambulances into account? They usually have those wheeled stretchers with them to carry bodies - and in most lore, the apocalypse starts with all ambulances being deployed to small emergencies before anyone figures out what's actually going on.

One of those stretchers could easily be used to carry a lot of supplies, as a ram, etc...

It would be a nice way of having a few (more varied) wheeled carts outside of the down-town shopping area.