The army

Meat Pie

Now I dont know how much of this stuff is a big no no,but here me out.

I think that once npcs are added,It would be cool if the army was added.

At the start of the game they would have small squads that might be here and there,much like other survivors.

But they will be really good at killing zombies,would tell the player to ether piss off,or stay safe.

And would be hard for the player to kill if that was a option.

Then after like half of a in game year,they will have teams of heavy duty soilders that would have really good guns and would only come in helicopters.

They choppers would land around you when you here the chopper sound that plays now and then.

maybe they would be testing dead zombies or be taking over a building.

Also if they ever add a army base location then it would have a chance of having the army faction there.

Anyone think this is a good idea? Because I would think that the army would be around still,after the zombies.

I like the idea of a few isolated fireteams, but they shouldn't be organised in anyway, at least not beyond the first month or two. 

I also don't believe their weaponry should be much better than other survivors - I'm not too familiar with the timeline, but say the quarantine collapses and what's left of the army are shooting anything that moves, their ammo wouldn't last very long, and neither would they with all the noise they'd make. 

As for an army base, I think no. It'd be everyone's main objective to get there, clear it out and fortify it, it'd be too good. Unless it was absolutely CRAWLING with zombies, and had already been looted near-dry. As for the living military's presence, I like to imagine that in zombie media, the military has gone to absolute sh** and whoever's survived has grabbed what they could and buggered off. 

The odd zombie soldier with a (very) low chance of having some high-end gear on them would be cool, but they'd have to still be wearing their armour making them more difficult to defeat. Either that or on average they'd be stronger than your regular zombie.

One of the professions the player can choose will be military too, according to Professions.lua. Soldiers should have a positive modifier for interaction with each other.

Well let's say there was an army base, it has mg positions and possibly land-mines in the perimeter. First few nights of zombies and that place would be the noisiest place in the local area. It would be FULL of zombies. Not to mention the fact that it would be the main point of refuge for survivors and civilians. It could be something really fun to explore and add alot to the game.

As for ammo, doubt much would remain. But there still will be at least "some" left. More likely radio equipment and fuel will be prominent lootables in the base.

As for zombified soldiers. It makes sense for some of them to be armoured against firearms, also it would make sense for them to be in better physique than regular civilians-turned-zomzoms. Not supernaturally so, but definitely noticeably so.

I think there needs to be some motive for the military to be coming into the game.

I think that within the first week or two, there should be quite a few military squads that have been sent in to 'try' and contain what can't be contained, obviously this would fail and the military would fall back to their quarantine.

I'd say that every few weweks, a helicopter could land somewhere in the map, and a military research team could come out briefly to capture a few zombies and take them outside the dead zone for research into the virus and how the zombies can exist despite being dead, etc, etc.  Now say that you're with an organised group, and you spot one of these helicopters landing, say your group ambushes the soldiers and takes their gear, that would be pretty awesome.

I like the idea of Fort Knox being a 'safe' zone, however on the outside is completely swamped with undead, so it's near impossible to get in, but on the inside there would be a large military group, several refugee groups and tons of weapons and supplies.  However, due to the random nature of the game and with NPC's making decisions, who's to say that Sgt Jeff Jeffson doesn't somehow get bitten and the virus ends up inside the compound? Maybe they contain it, or maybe they all die.  Maybe, the fort won't withstand the horde outside.  Or maybe it will be overrun by another group or bandits.  

I do also think that the military quarantine should be a physical thing, there should be a large, thick wall around the quarantined area with regular military posts along it.  You won't be able to get out, and if you cause trouble (attracting loads of zombies) near the wall they could shoot you.  I think though that any military force should be ruthless (apart from those on the wall or in the fort), their mission is to capture a specimin and shoot anything that moves, then haul ass outta there, so you wouldn't want to be close to a chopper landing unless with a large group that can effectively deal with them.  Also the risk involved, a chopper landing would be loud, combined with gunfire on nearby zeds/humans would attract a huge amount of zombies from all directions, the military guys would be gone when the horde arrives but if you're still nearby.. :/

Knox county is quarantined. Though what if the infection hasn't spread out of Knox County; or it has, but hasn't had that much of an impact due to aforementioned strict quarantine. I'd think some people would love to do tests on the munchers. Also, considering the nature of the army, I'd expect some form of chain and command being adhered to, even if those in the military are essentially left to die. (I'm sure there'd be mass hysteria about Knox County if this was found out anyways, the military, and the government as a whole would go to drastic measures to make sure the infection stayed in Knox County at the very least.

absolutely right, the government would create some major type of "accident" just to cover up such a thing. it's what they do best, lie to the citizens and cover their own asses. and of course it would be in the name of Homeland Security, and would probably be blamed on a terrorist cell operating near Fort Knox.

I've always thought that the army and a strong 'outside' lore would kinda kill the atmosphere of the game. I mean, part of the fun is not knowing exactly what's going on; the fear of the unknown, if 'hope' exists or not. Has the quarantine been breached? What happened to Atari? Is Australia still afloat? 

Too much outside influence would, in my opinion, take away from the game's unique, desolate feeling. But that's just my opinion. :)

"There is no hope" I'm sure that the devs have big plans for this story. It seems as though it starts in Muldraugh so maybe as a reward for staying alive long enough you will eventually hear little snippets about the outside world and the global downfall of humanity ^_^ I like the idea of getting random chatter on a ham radio every now and again once they add in generators and radios and stuff. Louisville will be absolutely necessary for a real 1 year+ gameplay experience once they finally add in generators! I've only found 3 cans of gas so far and I can't see that lasting longer than a week IRL, probably more like 3 or 4 days.

Louisville is confirmed so we know for sure that it spreads out of Muldraugh, infects West Point, and infects Louisville. If a semi-major city becomes contaminated AND it is covered up (leaving infected people unaware of how dangerous they are) then you just know that this thing will spread. ^_^

A military command post could have been set up near to the middle at the begining of the outbreak with the hazmat scientists maybes a temp setup like in the movie outbreak (dustin hoffman).

Now after all control failed or some.of the medical.team.get bit then all hell broke loose and they abandoned this temp outpost and formed a huge military ring around the region.

So what you come across is the remains of a military outpost with a couple of die hard survivors. Few soldiers and two medical staff. Surrounded by piles of bodies throughout the area after control was lost.

Maybes they are trapped on the roof with a fixed radio and last of the ammo and supplies cut off by hordes of zombies maybes 300 zombies crawling the building below and outer fence line.

Burnt out cars. Destroyed tents. Bodies in body bags. Medical vans. Even abandonded helicopter with a zombie half alive pinned under the leg of the craft.

Judging from.the view the soldiers put up a fight but lost. Even some of them walk about dead with their equipment hanging off them dragging along the ground.

As far as temporary military camps being set up goes, I've always liked the idea of the scientist bunkers in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series. That is, a whacking great big steel and concrete edifice with pop-up radar equipment and the like, that has set up in the area via helicopter. How would you cover up the noise of large transport helocpters lowering such a structure into the quarantine area? Simple. Bomb the living f*ck out of an area in the opposite direction to clean the Z out.

If the idea of a large, truncated pyramid shaped concrete bunker doesn't tickle your fancy, why not something more unique? Say, shipping container based structures on pylons? Drop the whole shebang in one container at a time,each high enough off the ground to stop Z from entering. Rig up some rope bridges between them all and you're set. At the end of the tour/research mission/whatever, you can simply pack all the valuables into one of the structures, along with the personnel, hook up to the helicopter, and get lifted away, leaving the legs behind.

Naturally, finding such a mobile base after a major siege and calamity, complete with burnt out remains of a helicopter nearby, would be pretty awesome. The buildings are completely zombieproof, but, unlike the former research team occupying the area, you don't have a helicopter coming to pick you up. Starving to death above a horde of zombies would be a definite possibility...