Barricading really needed?

Invader Jim

Maybe I have not played enough. I made it to a month. It seems once you clear your locale that barricades are not needed. At the very beginning they could be handy but by the time you are fully barricaded your neighborhood should be devoid of zeds,

Am I missing something?

I think there is something tweaking to be made with the game. Personally, once I secured the warehouse I was safe for about 2 months before I discontinued the save.

I think in the present build, no, they're not needed. If you intended to persists this save through future builds it might be a good idea.

I didn't barricade, strictly speaking, I did something slightly different. I put up wooden walls around my farming area. I build storage crates in front of the windows because when I climbed through I couldn't move. This proved to be true also of the zombies.

Exploitative I know... 

In the current build i would be tempted to agree with OP. Something isn't right with either zombies numbers or zombie migration. Certainly it's not as dangerous as it used to be and presently i think if you can successfully clear an area of zombies it will remain clear indefinitely, apart one or two rogues that seem to just appear from no where.  

I've still been barricading and building on my main safe-house though. 

I don't think the current mode of zombie spawning or migrating is intended to be permanent. I'm fairly sure that you're not supposed to be able to just kill them off in an area permanently. Though even with the current settings, after a certain amount of time, I can't remember what the span is, zombie tactics change, and large hordes gather on the map and will actively start hunting you. At that time barricades are absolutely necessary. You also have to take meta-game events into account. Just because there are no zombies around in your immediate area now, doesn't mean there won't be forever. Meta-game events happen all the time and can bring zombies into your area from all over the place. I have a game going now where I'm 4 months deep, and have long since cleared my area, and I still have zombies coming in periodically from meta-game events. Had a fair sized horde, maybe 25ish strong, come in the other night and attack my defenses while I was asleep. Complacency kills. You don't need to do anything in-game, but I'd bet that if you decided to stop building defenses on your safe houses that you'd be made to regret the decision eventually.

In the current build i would be tempted to agree with OP. Something isn't right with either zombies numbers or zombie migration. Certainly it's not as dangerous as it used to be and presently i think if you can successfully clear an area of zombies it will remain clear indefinitely, apart one or two rogues that seem to just appear from no where.  

I've still been barricading and building on my main safe-house though. 

I think it's say to safe that this general feeling had been brought up quite a few times in the forums now. Or at least I'm noticing a trend, so hopefully the zombie number/migration (whatever it may be) will be fixed soon.

Does the current build have gunshots and helicopters to bring in more zombies?

TC, it you really want a challenge go back to playing 2.9.9.15. That's version is a real b**** to play. Gunshots every day and zombies always planted in front of your safe house.

but if you don't need to fortify heavily there's no need to raise your carpentry skill. Can just wall off a nice section of garden and start farming. 

If you want to be able to build crates quickly or don't want the ugly low-carpentry-skill walls, then there's a good reason.

I large hordes gather on the map and will actively start hunting you.

They dont actually hunt you, they just gather and roam around the map in what seems to be a cycle , if they find you well too bad, if they dont then great! I cant seem to find it but a old mondoid mentioned this

Does the current build have gunshots and helicopters to bring in more zombies?

Yeah it definitely does.

What do you mean by bring in? Do you mean like move them around? If so, yes

I large hordes gather on the map and will actively start hunting you.

They dont actually hunt you, they just gather and roam around the map in what seems to be a cycle , if they find you well too bad, if they dont then great! I cant seem to find it but a old mondoid mentioned this

Yeah, it definitely happens. I haven't played on a save for long enough to see it since the Desura builds, just because building is generally what keeps me busy in-game and the whole lack of stairs thing has kinda killed that recently, but I'm sure that it's still there. I can't see why they'd take it out. Just keeps you on your toes. Never know when the day might come where you're kicking it in your safe house, totally secure in your safety, and suddenly there's an army on your lawn. Definitely had that happen before. They backed me up the old apartment building floor by floor until I had nowhere to go and I died in a blaze of shotgun shots over a year deep.

I'm pretty sure they all slowly move towards your location when it happens. I know from my limited experience with it, that once it happens no safe house is really safe for more than a day or two. The one time I survived it for an extended period I had to just keep moving from building to building the whole time because every time I slept they'd be on my lawn in the morning. I mean I guess they could have just been moving in specified cycles, and I just got unlucky and kept sleeping in spots that were in their specific path, but it certainly didn't seem like it.

Archived