retardant, zombie

realdead_man

and what would this be? I mean technically the virus that would start a zombification would work so fast and hard that most of the population, or at least the population in a certain vicinity would already be infected/dead/zombified before a pharmaceutical company would even start to look into this...

realistically speaking, I dont see a pill or medicine for zombification other than uhm [insert weapon of choice here].

but maybe I am mistaking and antibiotics would help a little, I dunno. depends on the zombie-universe the PZ creators have given us and what they think about it

Well, maybe the planed "armor' will address the issue I am trying to talk about. (not very clearly)

It is very sucky to spent X hours building up a safe house, leveling up, ETC., only to turn.

Right now, it is very easy to get zombified.   And that puts off semi-casual players.  Of which, by necessity, I am.

Maybe, and I'm just spitballin' here, stuff like a leather jacket or sturdier clothes will help a litte in the future. Armor like riot gear will certainly be an option (if implemented) to guard oneself from being bitten and infected, but curing the infection or the prevention of getting infected would make the game quite dull I'd say... then it would be just a zombie hack'n'slay, no?

I agree that there should be a way to stay alive after being bitten. Some form of medicine should be available to stave off zombification as long as you take it every few days. Right now a single bite means you might as well restart the game cause the next few days are just a pointless wait for the reaper.

Armor would be a good alternative also, to lower the chances of a bite penetrating the skin.

I agree that there should be a way to stay alive after being bitten. Some form of medicine should be available to stave off zombification as long as you take it every few days. Right now a single bite means you might as well restart the game cause the next few days are just a pointless wait for the reaper.

Armor would be a good alternative also, to lower the chances of a bite penetrating the skin.

NO, the Zombie Survival Guide CLEARLY states that the only way to stop infection after a bite or scratch is-

A: Destruction of the head (most commonly achieved with a bullet)

B: Immediate amputation of the affected limb (has an extremely low chance of success)

There is NO cure and there is NO way to slow down the infection.

I don't like the idea of a medicine that can keep you living seemingly forever after being bitten. Where would you find such a medicine if this kind of scenario would happen? Now I could accept that if antibiotics or some sort of rare anti-viral medicine could be found in pharmacies it could prolong your life by a certain amount of time, but not a wonder medicine that's designed to battle a zombie virus indefinitely. It seems implausible.

As for armor, it has been confirmed that clothing will get properties that will defend you from attack and if/when military is in I see no reason not to find a few bullet vests. I don't know what kind of body armor the U.S. military uses, but I doubt it covers much more than the head and torso. Also keep in mind that if you go running in 30oC with a leather jacket, kevlar patch, motorcycle helmet, boots, and thick denim pants, you're gonna have a pretty warm time (clothing heat is already implemented). Plus your vision (helmet) and agility would be reduced the more you wear. And actually this kind of set up would provide safety from maybe three zombies max and not for a long time either. So wearing über armor won't be saving you in PZ, but it might save you from some of those pesky moments where a zombie is hiding behind the door and bites you before you can say Spiffo.

If you're worried about your beautiful safe house you can always start a new character on the same save and go back to building.

The main point her being: You won't survive! It doesn't matter how hard you try, you will die.

The only thing I could say to a "cure" is that it shouldn't exist. I do, however, like the idea of being able to prolong the inevitable with some sort of mixture of drugs.

For example; You're bitten and you know you're infected. So, in a last ditch effort to mix some chemicals that do slow the infection rate, but not end it (giving you an extra week or so).

I dunno why you would need another week, maybe you need to return some important supplies to your group (like your group running low on water/food and you finding quite a bit of it, weeks worth, and you want to put that last bit of good karma in before the 'fat lady sings').

I believe that perhaps some form of antibiotic could keep you going in a weak state, meaning combat will be extremely hard even against a single zombie, and also you'd need to find more of this medicine if you want to stay alive long.  That, in my opinion should be a possibility, however inevitably you will die (either from not finding meds, being killed by zombies in the weaker and slower state, or being killed by an NPC/Player) So really, you won't last very long anyway.

I don't like the idea of a medicine that can keep you living seemingly forever after being bitten. Where would you find such a medicine if this kind of scenario would happen? Now I could accept that if antibiotics or some sort of rare anti-viral medicine could be found in pharmacies it could prolong your life by a certain amount of time, but not a wonder medicine that's designed to battle a zombie virus indefinitely. It seems implausible.

As for armor, it has been confirmed that clothing will get properties that will defend you from attack and if/when military is in I see no reason not to find a few bullet vests. I don't know what kind of body armor the U.S. military uses, but I doubt it covers much more than the head and torso. Also keep in mind that if you go running in 30oC with a leather jacket, kevlar patch, motorcycle helmet, boots, and thick denim pants, you're gonna have a pretty warm time (clothing heat is already implemented). Plus your vision (helmet) and agility would be reduced the more you wear. And actually this kind of set up would provide safety from maybe three zombies max and not for a long time either. So wearing über armor won't be saving you in PZ, but it might save you from some of those pesky moments where a zombie is hiding behind the door and bites you before you can say Spiffo.

If you're worried about your beautiful safe house you can always start a new character on the same save and go back to building.

The main point her being: You won't survive! It doesn't matter how hard you try, you will die.

I've been looking at US Military kevlar vests. They only cover the torso. However, Military clothing they wear when deployed is very thick, but also very heavy. Maybe we could strip down a dead soldier and wear their vest and uniform? It'd slow you down and would be really warm, but it'd defend really well.

Honestly I don't see the point in including any kind of medicine that only delays death. Today... A week from now... It doesn't matter. You're character is still gonna die and there's nothing you can do about it.

But I think you could use that same reasoning and say why play then at all. You're gonna die anyway. Imo there just should be an incentive to keep you alive for a while, be it revenge or the want to help someone. Not all give up in the face of certain death.

Honestly I don't see the point in including any kind of medicine that only delays death. Today... A week from now... It doesn't matter. You're character is still gonna die and there's nothing you can do about it.

But I think you could use that same reasoning and say why play then at all. You're gonna die anyway. Imo there just should be an incentive to keep you alive for a while, be it revenge or the want to help someone. Not all give up in the face of certain death.

but... but this is the story of how you died... survival is the game but death is inevitable. either trough bad survival skills, zombiefication, getting eaten, or getting shot/killed by npcs. then you start over

You play the game because the opportunity exists that you may in fact keep on keeping on, and "this is how you died" could pertain to the fact that your character dies of old age. The fact of the matter is that you don't know when or how you're gonna die during a regular play through, but once you become infected that's that. You now know when you're gonna die (soon), and you know how you're gonna die (zombification). There's literally no point in it but waiting for the inevitable because the entirety of your fate has already been determined.

Taking drugs to prolong your life at this stage does nothing to change that.

I disagree. After I've been zombified I always start hoarding food to my fridge and run through all of the berry bushes just to get me that few more minutes of life so that I can have a dignified end for my character. I'd like to think that NPCs would give me purpose to live and help them out to the last second.

Say I'm going on a loot run for medicine. My NPC best buddy is sick waiting me at "home". I've traveled all the way to West Point from the south side of Muldraugh to get some important medicine. Then I get bitten in West Point and try to make it back. I think in that point the purpose of my game would to get the supplies back to the safe house before I die. In this situation, where you have some purpose to live, you'd eat leaves from the trees if it made you survive. Or trying to kill an enemy NPC who killed your wife. If it's the last thing you do you want that bastard dead.

I can think of many situations like this. Another thing entirely is if it's plausible to have antibiotics to affect something like a zombie infection. So knowing that you'll die soon isn't always: ok let's start again. That's why there will most likely be multiple suicide options too. You face certain death, what do you do?

I can think of many situations like this. Another thing entirely is if it's plausible to have antibiotics to affect something like a zombie infection. 

Nope, although I read it a while ago and I seem to have misplaced my copy, I am pretty sure that the ZSG very clearly states antibiotics are useless as it is a viral infection.

Adding any "magic infection slowing medicine" goes against lore, realism and is overall a waste of Dev time. 

I will not argue this point any further.

I can think of many situations like this. Another thing entirely is if it's plausible to have antibiotics to affect something like a zombie infection. 

Nope, although I read it a while ago and I seem to have misplaced my copy, I am pretty sure that the ZSG very clearly states antibiotics are useless as it is a viral infection.

Adding any "magic infection slowing medicine" goes against lore, realism and is overall a waste of Dev time. 

I will not argue this point any further.

However PZ has it's own lore, for all we know the virus in Project Zomboid can be slowed using antibiotics, it wouldn't be eradicated, just slowed.  I think this is a great idea and would really give you that 'race against time' feeling when you have an urgent task to complete, and your clock is ticking down.

Eventually I believe you will be able to amputate a limb to stop the infection from spreading, however I think that if you're bitten and know you're definitely gonna die, you should have the ability to slow that down a bit.

When you are bitten, you already have the "clock start ticking down". You don't just go to sleep with a flesh bite wound and expect to wake up and "then" finish whatever is that you want to finish. Tired, starving, thirsty - no matter what, when you are bitten, and you want something done, you just go and do that. You've got as long as 1-2 days to accomplish it, and "food" with "painkillers" are your "medications" that "stave off infection". I think that 1-2 days is enough to accomplish any sort of "short term neccessities", such as returning med to friend NPC, or killing off your wife's murderer. Prolong it to anything longer, and it's a race against time to "find another bottle with medicine" rather than "Find a wife's murderer and revenge, then die peacefully."

When you are bitten, you already have the "clock start ticking down". You don't just go to sleep with a flesh bite wound and expect to wake up and "then" finish whatever is that you want to finish. Tired, starving, thirsty - no matter what, when you are bitten, and you want something done, you just go and do that. You've got as long as 1-2 days to accomplish it, and "food" with "painkillers" are your "medications" that "stave off infection". I think that 1-2 days is enough to accomplish any sort of "short term neccessities", such as returning med to friend NPC, or killing off your wife's murderer. Prolong it to anything longer, and it's a race against time to "find another bottle with medicine" rather than "Find a wife's murderer and revenge, then die peacefully."

True, true.  As long as they don't remove the current way of staving of the infection I'm fine with it, just there should be SOME way of prolonging your life a little longer (which there currently is, whether it gets removed or not, who knows)

Yea, I agree if zombified, death should be inevitable in a pretty short period of time. But I would like the system to change from mainly food and little medicine to mainly medicine and not so much food. I personally think about a week would be a nice max for that. Most likely you'll die in 1-3 days, but if well prepared enough and with luck on your side maybe 5-7 days. Also if you overdo it with the meds you just end up killing yourself anyway.