Make Axes more common again

Vagrant

So... What are the odds of ever seeing an Axe in this game?

I've just come back from a long loot run through a big warehouse and McCoy Logging Corp.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6277964053207402,0.2809638378296979,93.97930224979673

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5921569169565246,0.26422373204704924,21.856582064785556

I triple-checked EVERY crates. Not a single Axe was found. You'd think that in a Woodwork, you'd actually find an axe more commonly since THEY CHOP WOOD FOR A LIVING. But nope.

Capentry and Fortress-building is one of the core features of the game. What's the point if that one tool you need to do it isn't even remotely available, even in places where logically there should be one?

How about making a Firefighter Station with fixed Axe drops?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1099167284446981495/D4D856E8768B80C2DCF5F30EA28F85D46933B8DA/

Looks for an axe for 2 weeks.

Get bitten by crawler and get infected.

Find an axe 2 minutes later (not joking).

To stay on topic... here's a proposal:

How about you guys swap loot rarity of Axes with Saws? It's cool to chop wood with an axe, sure, but it's useless if you don't have a Saw to make Planks.

This in turn would encourage you to chop down doors instead. This would use up your Axe's condition. When you do get around finding a Saw, it would make you regret wasting your Axes on doors... Hence, people would hoard Axes and not use them as weapon like most people would.

How's that?

I'm somewhat cool with the rarity of axes, usually you find at least one in those two warehouses, a bit less rare might be better though. I do have an issue with their rate of breaking though. In my mind an axe should not break after a week of heavy use. It's a heavy duty tool. On the whole if you buy one here you'll use it for years. Right now the axe is  not a viable weapon because you need to preserve it for chopping wood.

And lets be realistic, Muldraugh has a gazillion backyards. Which backyard shed in the real world does not have an axe?

Maybe they should add a different axe? A smaller version. The small axe being much more common, usable for chopping trees (though slow and harder work) maybe not for chopping doors. And as a weapon it's usefull but comparable to a baseball bat rather than a firemans axe. Give it the same durability as the axe has now. And then give the big axe twice or trice the durability and keep it as rare as it is now.

You live in the inner city EnigmaGrey? Because where I grew up almost everyone had one. First of all to manage their wood piles most houses had a fire place. Secondly to manage their gardens, because it's a usefull tool. Guess I'm just used to seeing them all over the place :)

Funny enough, I've only seen an axe in a little old senior's house and my uncle's farm . . . Maybe I live a rather sheltered life, but this gives me the impression that they're not very common. :lol:

We have a smaller handaxe at home, and I live in a huge apartment house in the middle of the city. 

My grandfather owns a small land on the edge of town and I'm pretty sure he has at least 2 or 3 axes there, and an assortment of other tools.

Also there's a big store 500 m's away from my house, where I'm pretty sure there's an infinite supply of axes, nails, planks, saws, hammers and such.

It is true that where I live is considerably larger than the town in the game, but still...

The lack of weapons in the game is disturbing. I've had a game where I had to search through 4 houses to find a single pencil. And it wasn't even in the trailer park. You would assume that some people keep cutlery around, but apparently no. Or did someone loot all the forks and spoons?

You live in the inner city EnigmaGrey? Because where I grew up almost everyone had one. First of all to manage their wood piles most houses had a fire place. Secondly to manage their gardens, because it's a usefull tool. Guess I'm just used to seeing them all over the place :)

Small town of under 2000 in my youth; mainly natural gas or electrical heating. Vacations saw me on the coast of Nova Scotia, where most people either used heating oil or wood, or both (to save on costs).

Many of the people in my family's area actually went and bought a communal log splitter rather than deal with an axe. :lol: So they do their wood fires by chainsaw, primarily.

The lack of weapons in the game is disturbing. I've had a game where I had to search through 4 houses to find a single pencil. And it wasn't even in the trailer park. You would assume that some people keep cutlery around, but apparently no. Or did someone loot all the forks and spoons?

Are you playing the Desura build, by chance? The current Steam builds almost have too much loot.

You shouldn't be finding a single home without several weapons, such as kitchen knives.

Down south in the US you will find an axe at most homes. A good compromise would be hatchets. They could have much smaller reach and damage but the exact same functionality as a tool. That way we're not handing the player a monster of a weapon in every backyard, but they would have the tools they need.

Down south in the US you will find an axe at most homes. A good compromise would be hatchets. They could have much smaller reach and damage but the exact same functionality as a tool. That way we're not handing the player a monster of a weapon in every backyard, but they would have the tools they need.

I hope this is something that gets done - Ever since I have downloaded the Steam version I have not found one axe.

So having hatchets in semi/quasi-abundance would be pretty cool. I understand making OP weapons less accessible, but tools? Eek. I still haven't even managed to find a Trowel...

• 1 month later...

When NPCs are back in, will they be competing with us for loot or will they just spawn with their own stuff? Because I don't think the current amount of axes is enough if there are 10 other guys running around looking for them too. Multiplayer will definately be a problem as no one will be able to get enough planks to build a fortress.

A couple of updates ago, I used an axe as my primary weapon as well as for chopping a lot of trees. I think I wore out four aes before reaching level 4 blade skill (although I did have time to finish my fort).

The ability to repair an axe would be even better.

Axes are incredibly difficult to break. Especially if they have the plastic handles. If anything I'd like to see Axes be nigh indestructible, but have their blades start wearing out through use. An axe with a really really dull blade would be very ineffective at wood cutting and zombie killing. If you wanted it to be more effective again, you'd have to go out and find some sharpening tools to hone the axe down to a fine edge again.

EDIT

Also, really like the idea of having more common hatchets in the game. About as powerful as hammers as a weapon, but they can be used to cut down trees as well.

EDIT EDIT

I've found thirty hammers over the past five in game days while out and about searching for carpentry supplies, and not a single axe :(

6 days out with my current guy in a sandbox game with common loot, no axe in any warehouse but the very first zombie i killed (barehanded/stomping) had one in his pocket. lucky me! axes and trowels are really a bit too rare (just visited the farmer shop in muld, guess what was sold out? yeah!)

I'm having no trouble of finding axes in my current playthrough. I found one on a zombie and a total of six axes in the large northern warehouse in Muldraugh. What I'm finding difficult to find are saws, which is atm I think pretty realistic. If and when they make hatchets I think finding the axes will be more balanced.

I was wondering.... are there any Hardware stores? That'd be the first place I'd look for an axe, hammer, saw, nails... the problem is, I cant seem to find one.

Bold is for emphasis not typing entire posts, please refrain.

Thanks,

Rathlord

Edit: (Removed Bold) Ah, thanks Rathlord. I didn't even notice until I checked back at the post later today that I had accidently selected bold. I thought it looked quite stark as I was typing it out. :oops: