Zombie spawning might need some work

willow512

Question

But i'm still very maddened by how zombies are currently working. I played in sandbox mode with low zombie density. After 3 days, there are about 500+ zombies within an ingame 1/4 mile radius of my base and nearby storage house. This lead to my death because this new zombie walking seems a little broken atm. Seems like they just walk at your position instead of randomly and the very few map sounds don't really lead them away anymore. I mean I miss the big group of a hoard all grouped together not really moving since no food was to be found, where you could at least use strategy and sound to lead them out of your way. Currently these 500+ zombies are spread out and there is just no possible way to kill them all, lead them away from my base, or anything else. Very maddening. I appreciate all the work you do but can you explain why I have 500+ zombies in such a cluster fook in a low zombie density setting? Would very much like to know if this is a bug in settings, AI, pathfinding, etc. 

I kinda agree with this, it seems that wherever you are zombies just begin to eventually spawn. I could be wrong but the meta game events seem spread around the player, which causes any meta game event to draw zombies into your area. 

If you go to the western farm, and stay there minding your own business, farming crops and building walls, then the odds of a large horde arriving should be minimal. It could have course happen. But it should be rare. Right now it seems that wherever you settle, a big horde will arrive on your doorstep in a few days.

The spawning is also a little off. I even had a zombie spawn inside my fence once, I was gardning with my back turned to a blind fence that surrounded a very small and uncluttered area, then suddenly a zombie appeared behind me. Even Ezio Auditore could not have repeated that feat. Great way to keep me on my toes. But not as realistic as I'd hope. If a zombie is inside my walls, I expect the barrier to be broken.

Ok so I posted this to the forum, went to bed in the northern farm, not a zombie in sight. The next morning I wake up, save, reload, brush my teeth, look out over my new porch and shat my pants.

I don't understand why they're there or have any idea on how to get rid of them. I've heard no gunshots or other meta game events, and even if I had, I'd figure I'd be out of earshot. Maybe 2 or three would show up but that would be it. The area was deserted, I walked around to be sure.

I arrived at the farm two days before the screenshot. I wanted to build a fortress here and go for a long term self sufficiency game staying away from the town and just laying low, trying to finally get some seeds to grow. The day before I chopped some wood and broke the door to the hen house because there was one of those deadheads hiding in there. I also planted some seeds and watered them.

I'm posting this in bugs, to hopefully raise this functionality to bug status, because I very much doubt that just planting 100 zombies in formation in the players backyard is intended. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it. If it were the first time I'd see this I'd consider it a fluke, but it isn't, this happens a lot (See quoted post). And to be honest, it ruined this game for me. I could roll with the punches and go someplace else. But I keep doing that, the game before this one the same thing happened, I wanted to try my hands at base building. But I'm pretty sure that if I go someplace else and start building in just a few days I'll find a horde parked outside in a similar fashion.

visitors.jpg

Check out this video i think we see the problem with zombies here.

http://youtu.be/8j2cC3xc3Qs?t=28m38s

There is no need to post the same message in different threads.

Sorry. I was told to put my bug reports in the build they happen in and the bug report area. It was a while ago by someone on one of Twiggy's Streams. I will refrain from doing this in the future :)

why is it that when you go some ware then come back zombies are magically there like my safe house you cant even have a safe house with this game any more cause of random zombies like the horde that magically appeared right out side my door

whats worse is the magicle gun shots that keep happening when theirs no one there how is this s posed to be a simulation

im not mad its an asome game just cant do it with this current zombie spawning system make a cool base leave to get supplyes and random hordes spawn every time make u just want to sit there and do nothing so nothing will spawn in area theres got to be a bettr way.

Hello! I've got a lovely safe-house filled with enough watermelons and rotten cabbages to feed an entire me, and there's a barricade on one of the windows. Obviously this advanced zombie-fortress is something I want to keep living in. Unfortunately, zombies have spawned all around it. I've tried shouting at them and leading them in a big circle away from it, but zombies continue to surround the place and there are now hordes *everywhere*.

Do zombies still spawn off-screen behind/around players?

We never stated it for fear of jinxing it, but we were under the impression zombie spawning bugs were fixed in interim builds

I'll have to do some more testing, then. They seem oddly attracted en-masse to my safehouse, and hordes keep appearing around it. I'll wander across the map and see if they continue to do so, or if my own actions have caused them to be a sea of zombies in my part of the neighborhood.

no this game is just vroken as shit it does it to me all the time 

So finally I meet one of the guys who didn't understand what buying an Alpha-Game meant.

I'll have to do some more testing, then. They seem oddly attracted en-masse to my safehouse, and hordes keep appearing around it. I'll wander across the map and see if they continue to do so, or if my own actions have caused them to be a sea of zombies in my part of the neighborhood.

It is a known problem and constantly being worked on as the metagame changes, but maybe the interim really fixed it :)

why is it that when you go some ware then come back zombies are magically there like my safe house you cant even have a safe house with this game any more cause of random zombies like the horde that magically appeared right out side my door

whats worse is the magicle gun shots that keep happening when theirs no one there how is this s posed to be a simulation

im not mad its an asome game just cant do it with this current zombie spawning system make a cool base leave to get supplyes and random hordes spawn every time make u just want to sit there and do nothing so nothing will spawn in area theres got to be a bettr way.

How about instead of posting an incoherent ramble, you figure out the state of this game? It's in alpha, and the meta events are temporary, not magical. Seriously, why even post when you are so ill-informed? I'll do you a favor and explain something to you:

Games aren't magical, they don't just appear, they take a lot of work to manifest into something awesome. I can understand how such a thing seems impossible to you, and that you think, "theres got to be a bettr way" but news flash Einstein; there isn't a better way, and I'd like to hear your actual suggestions if you even have coherent thoughts, instead of the Low IQ posts where you just complain incomprehensibly. Do everyone a favor and turn off your computer, read a book, and come back to the internet in a decade or two.

no this game is just vroken as shit it does it to me all the time 

So finally I meet one of the guys who didn't understand what buying an Alpha-Game meant.

It is a known problem and constantly being worked on as the metagame changes, but maybe the interim really fixed it :)

I may have been mistaken, as I moved to a different area and zombies are less pronounced. There are still zombie hordes appearing in places I had previously deemed clear, but I'll attribute that to unseen meta-migration. :)

Zombie spawning is one of the only problems i have with this game. It's so perfect in every way, but when I spin my character in a circle to check my surroundings while walking a few feet the zombies literally "jump" all around without actually moving. It's beyond infuriating to know that it doesn't matter where you go or how sneaky you are getting there...180 degrees is your enemy...never turn around...they are ALWAYS there. Don't take that to mean I'm hating on the game. Even if this game was never finished it would remain a better buy than a majority of $60 games.

It is okay to post your criticism, but "no this game is just vroken as shit it does it to me all the time" isn't helping anyone. We want to have a friendly community. Which leads me to your inacceptable language:

im not a troll i hate trolls but it is broken and it is alpha i never said it was a bad game its just broken and we all know it don't get your panties in a wad please ty.

wxtirKR.pngModerator Warning

Please watch your tone in the future.

Zombie spawning is one of the only problems i have with this game. It's so perfect in every way, but when I spin my character in a circle to check my surroundings while walking a few feet the zombies literally "jump" all around without actually moving. It's beyond infuriating to know that it doesn't matter where you go or how sneaky you are getting there...180 degrees is your enemy...never turn around...they are ALWAYS there. Don't take that to mean I'm hating on the game. Even if this game was never finished it would remain a better buy than a majority of $60 games.

The issue has been known for a few builds and the devs are working on fixing it already :)

im not a troll i hate trolls but it is broken and it is alpha i never said it was a bad game its just broken and we all know it don't get your panties in a wad please ty. 

"Alpha" means there are probably going to be lots of bugs. It's not broken, it's still being fixed. So how about you don't get your panties in a wad?

/end rant

Anyways, I'm fairly certain a fixed amount of zombies spawn at the start of a game. But due to meta-migration, they all move towards you slowly. At least, that's my understanding of the system. My advice is to live in a small clearing in the woods so you can hear the zombies coming through the trees. Just eat berries and farm stuff to eat. It's what I do.

^ Will you be able to hear them when they move through the trees for sure? I've been wondering about that lately. There's wind occasionally too isn't there? I keep hearing something in the trees near my safe house, but it's hard to pick out between the rain, and what I assume is occasional wind.

We never stated it for fear of jinxing it, but we were under the impression zombie spawning bugs were fixed in interim builds

I hadn't thought about it, but yeah, so far I'm 10+ days in (interim_64-bit_only on Steam) at the North Warehouse and the hordes haven't spawned all around me yet. Tis a first. I've encountered some inside the town, but they don't do that magical spawning in the area I just left anymore.

they do for me. just happened went away from base for a couple miniuts and meta game brought a horde right in front of my base. Why even build a base with the game like this, no point its best to just keep moving from place to place using resources.

i know there going to fix it, but till then it will only make me mad playing it so ill just wait to play this when there is no ghost choppers who hover over ur head lol.