Does this interest you?

Spracky

I'm about to start learning C# and Unity, and I plan on making a survival/rts/strategy game as my first. I know, you're thinking that it's just another survival game, but I promise it has a twist. It will be low-poly styled, with a screenshot of some concept art I made in Blender 3D (sorry I'm an amateur) at the bottom. You start out with your main character and your pet wolf, both of which you can control. The wolf will initially be used in hunting, as a normal human can't catch deer or quicker animals. The building will be very very custom, with different tier walls, multiple levels, and maybe a support system. As you grow, villagers will join you. You must gather metal to make weapons and armor. When you reach a certain population or level of prosperity, you will start being sieged. You'll have to make defenses, and also attack their base (which will be loaded on a different map and accessed by scouting them, think Clash of Clans attacking). All people in your population can be directly controlled or given orders. You can choose to give battle orders, or charge in yourself. Later down the road I might add a locational damage system similar to Fallout 4, which gives you %chance to hit, armor level on body part, and damage.

I already know this is way to ambitious for my level, but I'll keep working on it. If any of you have tips for learning fire away. Tell me if this game sounds interesting or unique enough, and if you like the art style.

post-19125-0-89532000-1448258080_thumb.p

I love the idea and I love the art style.

Thanks! :D

I'm not too advanced with Blender, but I think I can make the art work with my level. What concerns me is my lack of coding knowledge. This is most likely going to be out of my reach.

The only way to learn is to try.

Quite like the art style.

Why thank you. I love low-poly art; the simplicity is what makes it beautiful.

Edit: Speaking of the style, another big problem is the fact that I probably can't randomly generate the maps. In that case, I would probably make a lot of custom maps and lean away from survival and more towards RTS and combat.

I would really like to see a game like this. But are you sure that this is a good game to make your first? Talking from experience here. Make tons of small boring games that work before you start your master piece.

True. Maybe I'll keep this idea on the back-burner and work on smaller projects.

Art is really good! But as the other guys says, start small. But that doesn't mean you can't work on smaller projects within your game project. Like making a health system, an attack system and then gradually make the bigger ones like building systems and such. The big problem though, is that you won't see so much of progress by jumping into such a big project.

I'd be happy to help as much as I can on your C# if you want any help? Just PM me anytime :P

I'd be happy to help as much as I can on your C# if you want any help? Just PM me anytime :P

I second this notion. I teach programming labs at my University, I'm busy during the week but if you ever need any assistance on a weekend I'd gladly help out.

I would love to play in this game. Survival? Base attacking?

For me it kinda sound like a game created from "Timber and Stone" but with survival elements and being able to attack enemy base (which i would like to see in "Rimworld" game).

Keep up the good work! I'm really hyped for that! If i would be skilled enough (sadly... I'm not) i would love to help you creating this game!

P.S.

I think you could make nice money with it if you would polish it etc.

It's really decent idea.

Oh.... Why i even said that? ;D

P.S. 2

I really like your art style. Tho, these bushes could use some polishing in my opinion (maybe berries could be like... "outside" of the bush? Sorry for my bad english... It's hard to describe this for me)

Stay determined (Hye hehehehe)!

EDIT

I think you could learn a lot from Rimworld (health system, pawns managment etc.) and from Timber and Stone (jobs managment, crafting system etc.).

Thanks everyone, I'll start work soon.

Art is really good! But as the other guys says, start small. But that doesn't mean you can't work on smaller projects within your game project. Like making a health system, an attack system and then gradually make the bigger ones like building systems and such. The big problem though, is that you won't see so much of progress by jumping into such a big project.

I plan on making 5-10 other games that focus soley on the systems of my final game like you suggest. One about controlling characters with animation, one on combat and health, one on base building, etc.

Thanks you two for offering to help me with C#

@Domoro I will make sure to do that with the berries, good idea!

Thanks everyone, I'll start work soon.

I plan on making 5-10 other games that focus soley on the systems of my final game like you suggest. One about controlling characters with animation, one on combat and health, one on base building, etc.

Thanks you two for offering to help me with C#

@Domoro I will make sure to do that with the berries, good idea!

I'd also recommend playing games like Half Life 2, Skyrim, Ride To Hell Retribution, Fallout, etc to see what was right and what was wrong.

Oh, and modular weapons and armor would be super neat. Imagine if weapons & armor performed based on how you designed them, as opposed to having preset tiered armors.

Hmm... I understand Fallout 1-2 but Half-Life 2, Skyrim? It's because they are C# based? Because these are like really different games.

I meant seeing how games in general play.

Considering that this a forum community for a game, I do not think that would be necessary, as I believe he has already played a good amount of games. That's probably also where the inspiration for making games came from. :) But, yes, you should keep other games in mind when developing.

Domoro, it is not C# based. Atleast not Half-Life 2. That is C++ (Source engine). Also I highly doubt the other games are C#

Hmm... I understand Fallout 1-2 but Half-Life 2, Skyrim? It's because they are C# based? Because these are like really different games.

Considering that this a forum community for a game, I do not think that would be necessary, as I believe he has already played a good amount of games. That's probably also where the inspiration for making games came from. :) But, yes, you should keep other games in mind when developing.

I wasn't trying to imply he doesn't play many video games, nor does he not know anything about them.

I apologize if I came off that way.

Replaying a game solely from a developers perspective is a pretty neat experience in and of itself, as you start to notice how the developers planned and created the game.

You notice how the levels are designed, you notice the item placement, you notice how quests are generated, etc.

I wasn't trying to imply he doesn't play many video games, nor does he not know anything about them.

I apologize if I came off that way.

Replaying a game solely from a developers perspective is a pretty neat experience in and of itself, as you start to notice how the developers planned and created the game.

You notice how the levels are designed, you notice the item placement, you notice how quests are generated, etc.

I wasn't implying that you were implying that :Pimplyception Yeah I see what you mean, I do that all the time. I get you now, and I agree with that. Play games with developer mind on.

Well I'm going to work on character movement / 3rd person camera and mapping for the first "game". I would like a spectator type camer that can pan, zoom, and rotate. Somehing that can lock onto a character and snap off.

I have played many of the games mentioned by the previous user (forgot your name :( ) and will keep them in mind.

I would really like to see a game like this. But are you sure that this is a good game to make your first? Talking from experience here. Make tons of small boring games that work before you start your master piece.

True. Maybe I'll keep this idea on the back-burner and work on smaller projects.

I'm actually ignoring my own advise xD But I've been working on it for a month and has only fixed movement in a 2 dimensional space. Try making games that have certain things that you want in your finished game.

Archived