Alcohol Distillery /Brewer

MekCo

In a world full of zombies, broken windows and whatnot. One is bound to

run out of medical supplies such as disinfectant (and/or whiskey).

It does undoubtedly call for the need to make your own.

My li'l idea is to give us the ability to build a distillery to brew our own alcohol.

To drink or use for medical purposes. 

In addition to this I'll also suggest a new class: The Brewer along with a brewing skill.

As the brewer's skills increases I'm thinking along the lines that he/she/it can:

• Be more specific about what is going to be produced
    (whiskey, vodka, beer, disinfectant  etc. etc.).
  • Produce better quality liquor (increased stats of the product).
  • Slightly decrease the time it takes to produce something.

Along they way this opens up new possibilities for farming and usage of some

items (i.e apples).

It's just an rough idea at the time, it can probably be polished on.

But yeah, this could be something handy to have in the future.

(My excuses if this has been suggested already, my own search came back with 0 results.)

Good idea, I always like these nonsurvival ideas. Ones that perhaps don't help do very much to help the character survive but are things that people would start doing once they have settled down and are trying to bring something into their lives to take away their crippling depressing and add meaning.

Good idea, I always like these nonsurvival ideas. Ones that perhaps don't help do very much to help the character survive but are things that people would start doing once they have settled down and are trying to bring something into their lives to take away their crippling depressing and add meaning.

It's actually both an non-survival and an survival idea. Since alcohol have quite a few ways to be

used other than just to be drinking it.

Of course, hitting the bottle and forget the zombie infested world for a while ain't bad either.

I run my single player game without loot re-spawn and anything to disinfect any wounds with is

becoming an rarity.

Having the ability to produce alcohol to disinfect future wounds would be a life saver.

Brewing high alcohol stuff could be used as fuel for the generator :) so they would be longtime useful and not only till your run out of gas.

Indeed a good idea, I had it in mind earlier but kinda decided to put a sock in my mouth.

Brewing high alcohol stuff could be used as fuel for the generator :) so they would be longtime useful and not only till your run out of gas.

Indeed a good idea, I had it in mind earlier but kinda decided to put a sock in my mouth.

It´s really a thing and as a german with our green energie overdue :) we have allrdy E10 Gasoline, which has a content of 10% biofuel, and with a diesel you can also run nearly every bio oil you get like from the deepfrierers around :)

Thinking about that^^ the turbine engine in a Abrams tank burns nearly every fuel and the old engines esp the sowjet once burn also nearly everything as long is burnable :)

As a firefighter i know that also out generator run about everything as long the alcohol content is high enough not quite sure but i think everything 40/45% works and if you destilate stuff you can get that easily, but with the risk maybe blowing your destille and causing major dmg to your base/people so it doesn´t get OP and maybe having this high octane stuff with higher skills :)

f.e. with skill 0-2 you only can brew beer, 3-4 wine, 5-6 low % booze, 7-8 first low % fuel/desinfacting stuff (doesn´t last long in a generator and causes it to loose quicker condition, 9-10 high % fuel/disinfecting stuff as good as gasoline from the station.

Could bring the new proffesion with it like Moonshiner or Brewer, with a + in moonshing/brewing skill and maybe later on with the new recipes that you can learn (if choosen the proffesion you know) stuff like wishky,Vodka,Rum etc from diffrent material and the farmers should get stuff like wheat/rape/sugar cane etc. would be a boost to later on ncp/MP games since it would add a lot interactions between people to get all componets and stuff and make maybe the distilng stuff a thing everybody can learn but engineer knows allrdy.

Oh yeah and would be also a big + when cars get in game :)

Sry for the following long post :)

i just checked a little bit around and got some stuff which maybe if it get considert could work that way.

New skill Moonshine/Brewer

Skill 0-1 Beer brewing

Skill 2-3 wine/vinegar making

Skill 4-5 low % spirits (1 known recipe by skill: Vodka 25-35% alc, not able to run in generators, needs potatos)

Skill 6-7 mid % spirits (1 known recipe by skill: Vodka 35-45% alc, able to run in generator/car, high decrease of condition)

Skill 8-9 high % spirits (1 known recipe by skill: Vodka 45-75% alc, able to run in generator/car, med. decrease of contion)

Skill 10 highest % spirits (Ethanol, usable as normal gasoline)

To learn from magazines/books

Rum - needs sugar cane

Whisky - needs wheat

fruit spirits - diffrent fruit (apple snaps /Plum schnaps etc.)

herb spirits - herbs could be found by foraging

(maybe diffrent stuff to add more to diffrent professions)

Needed items

barrels for all stages : - beer and wine direct from it, for the rest to ferment it

Distille - diffrent stages and qualities, a moonshiner could only build 2 types

at Skill 4 a easy one 50% chance of blowing up

at Skill 6 a medium one 35% chance of blowing up

at skill 10 a good one 20% chance of blowing up

an engineer could build at a certain skill lvl (i think 5 or 6 ) could build a better one with a chance of 20% chance and at skill 8-9 one with 5-10 % chance to blow up.

since alc can anyway be used for medical stuff no need to add extras, just adjusting maybe the needed amount for diffrent qalities like it´s used for the genrrator/car.

would add a lot to gameplay and interaction later on, also gives more risks in the game.

Sry for the following long post :)

i just checked a little bit around and got some stuff[...]

It all does look good to me.

I did get the idea to have it work in a similar manner as cooking.

While some items has more specific recipes, one can still experiment  by adding

a few random items to what they are brewing (i.e water + sugar + orange + orange + strawberries + banana)

which would give even more freedom to the player.

Only Problem would be have a constant regrow/remake of yeast which is the most important thing to make alc. Sugar you have from the fruits it self, an for sure you can combine some for flavour.

well i know using corn and a few other basic ingredients you can make moonshine but that takes a ton of skill. still making a cheep something isnt half bad. But for this too be any what useful alcohol needs a better use. possibly dulling pain when drunk.

It's actually both an non-survival and an survival idea. Since alcohol have quite a few ways to be

Of course, hitting the bottle and forget the zombie infested world for a while ain't bad either.

I run my single player game without loot re-spawn and anything to disinfect any wounds with is

becoming an rarity.

Having the ability to produce alcohol to disinfect future wounds would be a life saver.

Honestly it would seem like a really complicated way to get disinfectant considering it isn't needed THAT much. I mean as long as I keep my wounds bandaged i've never had infection actually do any real damage to me. Seems more like a hobby than an actually thing to help you survive.

becoming an rarity.

Honestly it would seem like a really complicated way to get disinfectant considering it isn't needed THAT much. I mean as long as I keep my wounds bandaged i've never had infection actually do any real damage to me. Seems more like a hobby than an actually thing to help you survive.

would there need to be a skill for brewing since someone can just pick it up instantly. and besides to make a still we need to use metal so a metal working skill?

*snip*

Skill 0-1 Beer brewing

Skill 4-5 low % spirits (1 known recipe by skill: Vodka 25-35% alc, not able to run in generators, needs potatos)

Skill 6-7 mid % spirits (1 known recipe by skill: Vodka 35-45% alc, able to run in generator/car, high decrease of condition)

Skill 8-9 high % spirits (1 known recipe by skill: Vodka 45-75% alc, able to run in generator/car, med. decrease of contion)

*snip*

Great Idea!

My only gripe is that wine/vinegar making is easier to do than beer. Wine should be level 0-1 and beer should be level 2-3. I produce both as a hobby (well not vinegar because that doesn't get me drunk) and I wont get too technical on each, but it is much easier to produce decent wine than it is decent beer.

For simplicity sake (PM if you want to get technical. My guess is there are quite a few homebrewers on these forums):

Wine requires a sugar source (fruit juice) and yeast in, ideally, an airflow controlled vessel (carboy bung and airlock). It just needs to sit there until the specific gravity (used to measure the conversion of sugar solution to alcohol) reaches its desired level and stops changing. Drink and enjoy at this point, or bottle it to 'age' the wine and save some for later. Typical alcohol is around 12%. This allows for some sloppiness in your cleanliness since the higher alcohol% can deal with some nasties that may have contaminated your fermentation. Decent wine is very easy, good/great wine is very hard.

Beer producing is similar (sugar solution in a airflow controlled vessel with yeast to ferment) but the room for error in your cleanliness is much lower. Beer is typically around 5-6% alcohol and can not as easily handle not having as sanitary of an environment (im guessing this may be a problem in the apocalypse). The bottling is also more tricky. Wine you just put a cork in a bottle once the specific gravity is done changing. Beer you need to bottle before the process is done. This is what produces the carbonation in the bottle (for most homebrewing). You can cheat and add a little more dissolved sugar before bottling, but it is more difficult to do than corking a wine bottle.

Knowing how to harvest wild yeast is also a desired skill to have. There is yeast everywhere and it naturally gets into just about everything, but knowing how to separate it from other micro organisms is a bit trickier. Maybe at skill level 3-4 you would be able to do this?

SO TL:DR It is easier to make wine than beer. Wine is more forgiving in your cleanliness and you don't have to deal with carbonation (or at least don't want to). Overall +1 to the idea though! I have often thought that if an apocalyptic scenario ever occurred and we were back to a bartering economy, being able to make decent beer and wine would serve me well in most communities.

*snip*

Skill 0-1 Beer brewing

*snip*

Great Idea!

My only gripe is that wine/vinegar making is easier to do than beer. Wine should be level 0-1 and beer should be level 2-3. I produce both as a hobby (well not vinegar because that doesn't get me drunk) and I wont get too technical on each, but it is much easier to produce decent wine than it is decent beer.

For simplicity sake (PM if you want to get technical. My guess is there are quite a few homebrewers on these forums):

Wine requires a sugar source (fruit juice) and yeast in, ideally, an airflow controlled vessel (carboy bung and airlock). It just needs to sit there until the specific gravity (used to measure the conversion of sugar solution to alcohol) reaches its desired level and stops changing. Drink and enjoy at this point, or bottle it to 'age' the wine and save some for later. Typical alcohol is around 12%. This allows for some sloppiness in your cleanliness since the higher alcohol% can deal with some nasties that may have contaminated your fermentation. Decent wine is very easy, good/great wine is very hard.

Beer producing is similar (sugar solution in a airflow controlled vessel with yeast to ferment) but the room for error in your cleanliness is much lower. Beer is typically around 5-6% alcohol and can not as easily handle not having as sanitary of an environment (im guessing this may be a problem in the apocalypse). The bottling is also more tricky. Wine you just put a cork in a bottle once the specific gravity is done changing. Beer you need to bottle before the process is done. This is what produces the carbonation in the bottle (for most homebrewing). You can cheat and add a little more dissolved sugar before bottling, but it is more difficult to do than corking a wine bottle.

Knowing how to harvest wild yeast is also a desired skill to have. There is yeast everywhere and it naturally gets into just about everything, but knowing how to separate it from other micro organisms is a bit trickier. Maybe at skill level 3-4 you would be able to do this?

SO TL:DR It is easier to make wine than beer. Wine is more forgiving in your cleanliness and you don't have to deal with carbonation (or at least don't want to). Overall +1 to the idea though! I have often thought that if an apocalyptic scenario ever occurred and we were back to a bartering economy, being able to make decent beer and wine would serve me well in most communities.

my brain is dead from reading this but ye. +1

@King jjwpenguin

As with everything else you need to practice to become good at something, having a brewer skill would just be more realisti. I doubt that anyone makes high quality beverages on their first try.

A metal working skill could come in handy, in more aspects than just making an distiller.

@CaptKaspar

Mmm, yes, those would be good barter items I'd thing, along with whiskey, fuel and such.

Being able harvesting yeast around the skill level 3-4 sounds good to me.

@Bennytheowl

I guess you're a lucky one then. I myself have lost characters to infections. They ended up being sick (not zombified) and regardless of being bandaged and well fed they died. 

@King jjwpenguin

As with everything else you need to practice to become good at something, having a brewer skill would just be more realisti. I doubt that anyone makes high quality beverages on their first try.

A metal working skill could come in handy, in more aspects than just making an distiller.

@CaptKaspar

Mmm, yes, those would be good barter items I'd thing, along with whiskey, fuel and such.

Being able harvesting yeast around the skill level 3-4 sounds good to me.

@Bennytheowl

I guess you're a lucky one then. I myself have lost characters to infections. They ended up being sick (not zombified) and regardless of being bandaged and well fed they died. 

yes i know metal working would have more of a use but i just said a still for this suggestion not twisting the topic to something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Its a brilliant idea. It could really have an impact on the late game. Im into my third month and as I am quite an aggressive survivor i like to get into fights with zombies and i keep getting scratches, its getting harder and harder to find disinfectants.

New job - applejack to brew cider.

OK jokes aside.

Pretty good idea for a mod at least. But no generator fuel plz. Completely sealed bases are an issue already.

Desinfectant and molotov is emough OP.

also ty for youtube links. rofl. that goes to my ringtone right now

Its a brilliant idea. It could really have an impact on the late game. Im into my third month and as I am quite an aggressive survivor i like to get into fights with zombies and i keep getting scratches, its getting harder and harder to find disinfectants.

whisky also works. that could help in dire situations.

But you will run out of it eventually... :( and then you are just left with constantly washing your dirty bandages with water.

But you will run out of it eventually... :( and then you are just left with constantly washing your dirty bandages with water.

true but still it will make it last a little longer than before.