True Aiming

LeetgamerBoi

That would be a nightmare to implement with the game right now.

Also, for that idea to be used the game could not be in real time as it is. The game would have to become turn based so that players have time to use the mouse to click on a body location (the game Dead State comes to mind).

The best option is to implement a "shadowing" on the aim system.

The "shadowing" would work by highlighting the target the player is aiming at. The controls would remaing the same and the time to get a true aim would be the same but with the shadowing system the player would have a way to discern on who he is aiming.

I personally like the idea but i have to agree with night. It would be a nightmare (No pun intended) to implement. It is a great idea though and i was thinking the same thing a few days ago. It also wont be very useful until npcs come because why would you want to shoot a zombies foot, arm, etc. I don't see it useful in sp right now and i think its to complex for now but still i like the idea.

Yeah, I dunno.

I hate the way guns work so I'm just a melee fighter. I think it's supposed to drive in the fact that you know, normal people aren't good at using guns right away.

But then again its not something almost exoteric like learning to properly use a knife/axe/sword of all kinds.

Using firearms is quite simple and easy to learn. That's the reason firearms replaced all other weapons as tools of war, because its very simple to teach its use to anyone.

Yeah, I dunno.

I hate the way guns work so I'm just a melee fighter. I think it's supposed to drive in the fact that you know, normal people aren't good at using guns right away.

But then again its not something almost exoteric like learning to properly use a knife/axe/sword of all kinds.

Using firearms is quite simple and easy to learn. That's the reason firearms replaced all other weapons as tools of war, because its very simple to teach its use to anyone.

They also have great range but for pz range isn't much of a problem as taking out large numbers of zombies without drawing attention so guns are really only for npc's and on servers and we dont have NPC's in game yet.

I like your idea;but it may cost a huge amount of time to implent it into the current system.

BTW,I think the ability to aim should be limited to specific types of fire arms. I think give this ability to rifles or snping rifles could be a even better idea. Firstly,these guns has much more needs for aiming,since they can deal with long ranged shootings. Then,these guns has much slower shooting speed compared pistols and smg;so the aiming ability could balancing the fire arm system.

Yeah, I dunno.

They also have great range but for pz range isn't much of a problem as taking out large numbers of zombies without drawing attention so guns are really only for npc's and on servers and we dont have NPC's in game yet.

I am really curious about how NPCs will act in the game. Principally the bandits/raiders.

To survive in PZ one must be a mixture of a ninja and a athlete, and avoid at all costs using firearms for the loud noise they make.

If the AI of the NPCs dont take that into acount then they will be just cannon fodder for the zeds, since they will be droped like flies in the streets.

Personally I wouldn't mind an aiming system similar to Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics, mouse over an entity, cursor turns to crosshair and you at least know what you're shooting instead of just pointing in a general direction of something and hoping for the best.

Also with an option to select what body parts you're aiming for applicable only if you're aiming at an NPC\Human, if you're aiming at a zombie then it's head by default.

Fallout was isometric, it worked there, it could work here.

and how would that work with controllers? gotta remember those with any aiming suggestion

Like it does with all games where you need to aim using a controller, auto-aim\snap to target. A crosshair appears on a zombie and you can switch target with shoulder buttons, the closest threat would be targeted automatically by default.

Unless you weren't referencing my suggestion :P

I like the idea of a player being able to target lock an enemy, especially when using guns.

I am on the fence whether or not this would be good for PvP though. The already limited player input skill would essentially be gone if there was a target lock on players. Gunfights would become ex) skill level 1 aiming encountered skill level 3 aiming. Skill level 3 has a 20% (made that number up) better chance of hitting his opponent and so he wins (assuming he has enough ammo). There is already this problem with the current aiming system, and it will only make it worse. If there was a way for a player to enhance their survival, such as hiding behind cover to lower their chance of being hit, I think it would mitigate the issue.

Not knowing what you are shooting at with a gun is not part of gun safety! We only know the general direction we are currently firing in.

Maybe zombies are bearing down on an friendly NPC and I wanted to take a shot with my gun since I can't get there fast enough to use melee, and I want to aim at the zombie further away than the NPC is to me. I have a high aiming skill and can realistically make the shot. With the current system I would likely just end up shooting the NPC since I can't choose not to aim at the closer target. In SP or Co-Op (with safety on) this isn't an issue. But with NPCs it might be.

Maybe zombies are bearing down on an friendly NPC and I wanted to take a shot with my gun since I can't get there fast enough to use melee, and I want to aim at the zombie further away than the NPC is to me. I have a high aiming skill and can realistically make the shot. With the current system I would likely just end up shooting the NPC since I can't choose not to aim at the closer target. In SP or Co-Op (with safety on) this isn't an issue. But with NPCs it might be.

The best reason why we actually need some way to target specific stuff.

As for it being unfair in PvP, well, guns are unfair in PvP by design, the guy who has one > the guy who hasn't, otherwise it's skill based.

Even with a lock-on not every shot would hit 100% Personally I think the chance to hit should too be calculated like in Fallout which to the best of my memory is more or less this (modified to fit pz):

Chance to Hit = Skill +\- Distance Bonus\Penalty (Better chance if close\lower if far away) +\- Target BodyPart (Chance to hit Head is smaller than to hit Torso) - Injury\Moodle Penalties (Like hands being covered in deep cuts or being panicked\drunk) and - 5 or 10% if chance is 100%

So the chance would never be 100% (like it would never be IRL unless you're shooting point blank, there is always a way to fck things up) Also, skill bonus should only go up to 60% at level 10 noone is going to become a Legendary Master Marksman in apocalypse, ever, no matter how many zombies they kill with headshots.

In Fallout Tactics it looks like this:

I think the Fallout based aiming is the best option. Choosing individual body parts and such wouldn't really mesh well with the dice-roll hit mechanics. (*Has Morrowind flashbacks)

You know your character's a good shot when you shoot into an impenetrable wall of zombies and manage to curve the bullet around every one of them somehow.

Though, there's likely to be some problems with trying to waggle your mouse over things in real time to take shots at moving objects while trying to move yourself. It works so well in Fallout because of turn mechanics, or in the case of Tactics, very slow combat.

It used to be like this but it was deemed too confusing. Unless you got a headshot you'd never kill the zombie since you have to destroy the brain.

There is possibility that the official will introduce armors into PZ. Besides,there will be npcs in the future.

You know your character's a good shot when you shoot into an impenetrable wall of zombies and manage to curve the bullet around every one of them somehow.

Well that would be silly, I'd prefer if it hit whatever was in front of targeted thing :P

Though, there's likely to be some problems with trying to waggle your mouse over things in real time to take shots at moving objects while trying to move yourself. It works so well in Fallout because of turn mechanics, or in the case of Tactics, very slow combat.

That would just add realism if you ask me, shooting a moving target or shooting while in motion, or both is... pretty hard to do at the very least. Or we could just keep the option to shoot in the general direction of something with a chance to hit if we need some panicky suppressing fire.

The best option is the idea I gave before. A "shadowing" system.

1st- Basically when you start aiming there's an invisible line draw from you up until the max range of the weapon. Its a strait line exiting you weapon.

2nd- Anything in an area around that invisible line (fixed by the devs) will be "highlighted", indicating on who you are aiming.

3rd- Based on your position, your moving of the mouse pointer or the movement of the target that "highlight" effect can jump to other targets (crownd of zombies and etc).

After that, if you hit or not will be based on skill level.

That way you can keep the real time mechanic the game have and still allow a better use of guns in game

Got it guys?

1st- Basically when you start aiming there's an invisible line draw from you up until the max range of the weapon. Its a strait line exiting you weapon.

2nd- Anything in an area around that invisible line (fixed by the devs) will be "highlighted", indicating on who you are aiming.

3rd- Based on your position, your moving of the mouse pointer or the movement of the target that "highlight" effect can jump to other targets (crownd of zombies and etc).

That way you can keep the real time mechanic the game have and still allow a better use of guns in game

Got it guys?

So, it's like that I aiming on a direction and there will show up a line of fire on the screen; and the level of my firearm accuracy skill and the accuracy of the weapon will decide the size of that line?

It looks better than the current aiming system. But, is this means that we still only can aim the zombie (or npc) on the front?

Besides, there is a possibility that armors will be introduced into PZ. So, it is better to allow the ranged weapons can aim a specific body part of the target. At least it should allow some of the weapons to aim at specific body parts, e.g sniping rifles and crossbows.

BTW, it feels better to have the animation to show the bullets or bolts hitting an object (not trajectory, just the animation of hitting a object, like wall or human bodies). It won't help players to find the shooter (which may reduced fun of the game); but it will let us know that there is someone shooting at us, and create a feeling of suppressing fire.

Got it guys?

So, it's like that I aiming on a direction and there will show up a line of fire on the screen; and the level of my firearm accuracy skill and the accuracy of the weapon will decide the size of that line?

It looks better than the current aiming system. But, is this means that we still only can aim the zombie (or npc) on the front?

No, that line I mentioned is invisible, but based on the setting the devs defined, the targets in a "fixed" area around that line (could be based on the weapon but then again it could not) could be highlighted.