Loot tactics

Zentharius

Hello!

After playing some time I’ve changed my methods of looting  houses few times:

In the beginning of the game I’ve tried sneaking and entering through open windows.

After some time decided to actually kill every zombie in sight – for safety reasons, and smash windows – faster (also zombies in the room will be attracted to the sound of broken glass).

Now  after altering this method  I start with killing every zombie in the area, then use fireaxe to chop all entrance doors. Finally loot ‘opened’ houses. Somehow it feels safer.

I’m still not sure how to loot rooms inside houses. Especially toilets and upper levels of stairs. Zombies quite frequently ambush my character in this places.  Hitting doors with weapons not always makes them walk to sound source.

So, how do you loot houses?

very, VERY carefully.

i try to avoid breaking the windows, you never know which house you may have to hide in if a Meta Game event moves zombies your way, and also to avoid getting cut by the glass. 

i try to open the doors in a house that makes me nervous then stand at the end of the hall and yell if i suspect a hiding zombie is in one of the rooms. OR, sometimes i slam a door open, run to the far wall and pivot to see if anything was hiding.

I'm never cautious while looting and nothing ever happens

I feel people are overly cautious in this game. If I make no precautions, I can survive for weeks. Normally I get bored after the tenth day though... I've had the game since March 2014 and have never kept a save long enough for the power to run out. I've never built a base. I've never fished or trapped. I guess I should try sticking with a save for awhile and see what happens... I've never had the patience to pass the "looting" stage, the first few days where you do nothing but looting. That gets so boring to me and I feel like the rest of the game will be that, but I guess it's really not. I don't know what my problem is.

I love the game, but I get bored in a few in-game days. Send help pls

Give me cars and/or NPCs and we're talking. Even better animations might encourage me to try.

I always try to force windows open first, if somehow they all fail then I smash one with whatever weapon I have and see if any zombies were near enough to be attracted to the sound. If not I either climb through the window if I have a first aid kit handy, or bust open a door if I don't. if zombies show up I either kill them or move on if there's too many.

I feel people are overly cautious in this game. If I make no precautions, I can survive for weeks. Normally I get bored after the tenth day though... I've had the game since March 2014 and have never kept a save long enough for the power to run out. I've never built a base. I've never fished or trapped. I guess I should try sticking with a save for awhile and see what happens... I've never had the patience to pass the "looting" stage, the first few days where you do nothing but looting. That gets so boring to me and I feel like the rest of the game will be that, but I guess it's really not. I don't know what my problem is.

Give me cars and/or NPCs and we're talking. Even better animations might encourage me to try.

Kinda why you have such luck, then. People who aim to survive a few years tend to guard their progress more closely and take less chances seeing as a single screw up can easily end your playthrough... Like walking into a closet only to have a zombie instantly bite you.

Anyway, I usually just try the windows on houses that are roughly a day's walk away and loot them, leaving the ones with alarms as zombie bait. From there, once I've gotten a hearty supply of loot and a decent weapon, as well as a replacement weapon, I start looting houses a little more thoroughly and with more prejudice. Then I move onto warehouses and downtown areas for carpentry, farming, etc supplies.

I prioritize food first, then cooking supplies like pots and pans. I try to make the food last as long as possible and cook them to the point where they'll give me the most bang for my buck. Cans are collected but left untouched until I have no more perishables, since they never go bad.

Then the farming starts and its pretty much just that.

Why not try multiplayer?

Well I always make sure the front and back door is unlocked once I've been inside. Check the first floor big room for zeds. Take small rooms with the clownfish tactics. Look straight into the room from the outside of it. If I dont see anything I peak around the corner that the door is not blocking. If I dont see anything there I run straight into the room to run past any zeds hiding behind the door and kill them if they're there

Why not try multiplayer?

I have, and I enjoy it. It's just that there is basically no loot anywhere. I'm gonna give a long run a try in a few days here.

Yes, I totally agree. I'm 100% overcautious. Still it's how I enjoy this. Playing one character for months, trying to loot and explore more and more. With passing weeks every breaking into new area is more exciting because I have more to lose.

Sometimes I’m trying new characters just to run with them for a few days, trying out more outstanding actions ;)

I prioritize food first, then cooking supplies like pots and pans. I try to make the food last as long as possible and cook them to the point where they'll give me the most bang for my buck. Cans are collected but left untouched until I have no more perishables, since they never go bad.

Then the farming starts and its pretty much just that.

Same here! Sometimes I wonder why I'm actually collecting cans - I never use them.

The character that I've been playing with for months now is used a bit differently then my past characters. Normally I just smash into a house, run around and grab as much useful things as I can while stabbing any reanimated corpses in the face with a hunting or kitchen knife (my personal weapon of choice for some bizarre reason).

Now it's a little bit different because I want to survive for as long as possible. First I'll take out any zombies that are very close to the building and then check it for already broken windows or doors. If there is a broken window or door then for me it's possible that there is more than a couple zombies inside and I could be possibly overwhelmed. Depending on how many zombies are already outside, bag space, and what I know I have for medical supplies back at the base is whether or not a venture further. Sometimes regardless of those factors, I do venture in. There is loot that's worth it and loot that's not.

Sometimes I call out and lure the zombies away first. It's rare though. ^^~♫

I'm a sneaky survivor. I never break a window unless I cannot enter otherwise, and I never ever break a door, mostly because I think it's a waste of axe durability. I always sneak inside houses, even if the current room is empty. Most of the time, I open a door of an unchecked room and I wait a second until I can tell if there might be some zombies in the zones where I can't spot them at first sight, and then I sneak in.

Funny thing (it might be a bug or zombie stupidity), some times I sneak behind a zombie after opening a door, I push one of them, and it doesn't even notice me after that.

I've tried shouting to lure zombies out from rooms/stairs, checked 20 houses this way today, works fine - all ninja zombies compromise their positions. It works great especially after opening window, they jump through it and get smashed with baseball bat.

I play on Zeek's Apocalypse Roleplay, haven't been on in a while though. The only way to get good loot such as guns and axes is to backstab others, which I hate doing.

That's because it uses the "8 months after the apocalpyse" setting so there's a lot less loot spawning, run a lucky character and you'll still find stuff. Just make sure to check dead zombies and you'll have more axes than you'll ever use, especially when you run across a large number of them that someone else has killed. I find lots of axes, pistols, and 9mm ammo on other people's horde kills.

I agree with your tactic of trying to kill every Z in the neighborhood that I want to loot. Sometimes luring them away is the better and safer option thou.

With the danger of now getting injured on broken windows I much rather go thru the door (check dead Z's for their house keys), than the broken windows. Sneaking in is generally the better and less dangerous way.

In the house I make sure that there are no "hidden" surprises, then I loot all items in a priority manner... 

Archived