All the hate bandits get

Clayman

I don't understand why people get pissy about looting either-- Apparently I got booted for "looting" on some server-- I didn't even realized I looted. The house was like all torn down, all the windows were smashed and there were corpses everywhere. I assumed the person's safehouse was no longer safe or they died so I took a few things. Scavenging. Minutes later, the connection times out and I can't log back into it.

Meh.

If servers are gonna be up for a long time, punishing players for using game mechanics is going to keep new players from joining those servers-- that kind of situation is bound to happen.

I imagine it might have been a hardcore RP server, where that wasn't allowed. It's always good idea to read up on the specific server rules if you can. I there was no rules wirtten down, then it seems harsh.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why people get pissy about looting either-- Apparently I got booted for "looting" on some server-- I didn't even realized I looted. The house was like all torn down, all the windows were smashed and there were corpses everywhere. I assumed the person's safehouse was no longer safe or they died so I took a few things. Scavenging. Minutes later, the connection times out and I can't log back into it.

Meh.

If servers are gonna be up for a long time, punishing players for using game mechanics is going to keep new players from joining those servers-- that kind of situation is bound to happen.

I imagine it might have been a hardcore RP server, where that wasn't allowed. It's always good idea to read up on the specific server rules if you can. I there was no rules wirtten down, then it seems harsh.

Yeah, there didn't seem to be a link to the rules in the description-- whatever the case it was frustrating.

This is why I only play single player.

Meh.

Yeah, there didn't seem to be a link to the rules in the description-- whatever the case it was frustrating.

This is why I only play single player.

I really don't think something like that should keep you from playing multiplayer. I have never heard of someone being banned for looting a house, you must have been very unlucky. There are plenty of great servers out there. If you tell me what you are looking for, maybe i can recommend one.

And lastly i'd say nothing you legitimately can do in the game, deserves the kind of trashtalking hostility i have witnessed. You can even see examples of the words used in this thread.

I disagree, I believe it is warranted and should be expected by now.

Some people play the game only to ruin the game for other players. This is generally known as griefing.

TL;DR - 1. PKers are cocks. 2. They ruin the gaming experience for some. 3. It is one of the best gaming experiences to kill a PKer. 4. Because of #3, I accept you (but still hate you).

Part of battling other people is the psychological battles. People don't want to just crush your character, they want to crush your spirits too. We are playing a violent game, with a MASSIVE amount of death and destruction, that in itself says a lot about the kind of people we are. We are waging war in the digital world, I think the trash talk (though I do not personally do it) is warranted as well.

I fully understand why people don't like pkers.

In a game that is very deliberately more about survival than it is killing it seems odd to me at least that some 'other' people get such a thrill out of killing other players. Its also that some people are there to enjoy the game for all the features that it supplies and promises that there are some 'other' people who comes for nearly the singular purpose for sabotaging and ruining that. These some 'other' people who have nearly unlimited free time to establish themselves in-game competing against people who have just spawned into the game who may have enough time to play for 30 minutes every few days. These some 'other' people may say that they can just go elsewhere but there really isn't many servers to go to, the project zomboid community is still somewhat small, and the requirements for multiplayer still somewhat daunting.

With all of this being said going to be really candidly honest it seems like this is much less about the game is about survival (again survival, not killing) and much more about how certain people have fun (or whatever they are doing is called). Which even if it is permissible there seems something not of the very best mental health about this attitude or approach or at least it isn't the most sociable. Which why it surprises me none when these people turn out to be immature, trash talking, whining, pompous, victim playing, victim blaming, no attempt at sensible conversation, and otherwise backwards thinking people out there.

Because the purpose of multiplayer gaming is you know... enjoyable social time in a game you enjoy... and then get offended when somehow doing the opposite and sabotaging it for others somehow gets dislikes.

"Yeah I killed you while you weren't looking just after you spawned, but that isn't my fault, you don't like it go somewhere else." Except if it was that polite it would be a moderate annoyance at most when in reality its more like "LOL. U lozr. I rul. haha. i far ur mom. hahaha. you suks. me so good. u mad? go cry u tard. haha'

It happens in a lot of games and its regretful that there are certain people out there who don't seem to understand basic decency and civility in online gaming. A certain sportsmanship that is praised and sought in the real world that is lost on some 'other' people. You just have to sort of navigate around them...

It happens in a lot of games and its regretful that there are certain people out there who don't seem to understand basic decency and civility in online gaming. A certain sportsmanship that is praised and sought in the real world that is lost on some 'other' people. You just have to sort of navigate around them...

Thats actually an amazing good point. When I get killed or make a kill in Survivor type games, I always just saying GG when its save enough to do so. I never flame and I generally dont get much hate after a decent response like that. Maybe its because I grew up while the internet was still young. Back in the days communities were actually special. People knew eachother. Come to think of it, I might actually be blessed to have seen the birth of online gaming. It will never be the same again :P

I was thinking about some of the complaints here about bandits, looters, pkers, and the like... also that its apart of the game and it makes the game more challenging... and I was also thinking about my own comment that some people have a lot of time to play (that isn't meant as an insult, I don't know you and its not my place to judge what you do with your time, and candidly I may not even want to know or judge even if I was asked to)...

But I was thinking there must be a balance...

Its the lover of engineering and plurality in me that makes me think that there must be a way to any objective with the right tools and mind sets. And maybe it occurred to me. Not sure if I should put this in suggestions or not but tell me what you think.

Adding 'karma' to a character's in-game stats... undetectable so to speak. So players can engage in good karma and receive a more benign in-game experience... whereas bad-karma receives a harder more challenging in-game experience. Also since it seems like pking seems to be the biggest hot button issue make that the highest bad karma and say like when a player kills another player that corpse becomes a high-stat zombie?

It would thusly and perhapsly balance the game in such a way that if the normal just survive experience is too easy, there is a harder path. If someone is just out to make peoples lives harder the game will in-turn make the game harder for them.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by Rathlord, June 21, 2015 - Flaming
Hidden by Rathlord, June 21, 2015 - Flaming

A bunch of bullshit

Perhaps they are angry because of the collective time they spent together was ruined by a vacuous idiot. Effort does have meaning to it but your 13 year old and or obese brain probably cannot comprehend it. 

Trouble with the just saying 'Bandits are dicks' etc is like saying farmers or chefs are ruining the game for you. I also do not like losing a character but as much as this spoils my 'fun' I am not looking to spoil anyone elses fun, ie banditry. On a pvp server, they are just playing their game how they enjoy playing. My only problem is the thought of a new player buying PZ and first launching it, joining a server and getting killed in seconds, thinking 'this game sucks' when it clearly is an awesome game.

As for all the other peripheral complaints going on here, stick to server with rules for not being too harsh in chat. Or, knowing that this is the internet, take the Thick Skin perk and be ready to not care what some trash talker says.

Generally playing friendly but always on PvP server, makes my play experience more likely to be different or unique. Do not give up multiplayer, really fun and strange stuff happens when more people are added to the mix.

I didn't say that bandits ruin the game for me I said they ruin it for some players.

The problem with this post and with your puzzle analogy is that players chose that experience. There's PvE servers, and there's RP servers where banditry must be roleplayed out and kill on sight isn't allowed. If you chose to go into a kill on sight, pvp server and get killed on sight and then complain, OP is right- that's your fault for choosing a server you don't find enjoyable.

It'd be like if there was another puzzle room next door where people didn't knock over each other's puzzles, but you went into the room with the table flipping on purpose and full knowing people would flip your table there.

Logically, I don't really understand your issue. Any player, at any time, can go to the server with the perfect rulesets for them. If you want to play on a server with honorable PvP, all you have to do is go to one.

Does it suck to be killed on sight? Yes. Does it suck to be killed on sight even though it's a KOS server? Yes, of course it does. But are those bandits "wrong" or "bad" or "not playing the way the game is meant to be played?" No, of course not. If you choose to stab yourself in the hand, you don't blame the knife.

I personally don't enjoy PvP servers or kill on sight, but it's absolutely illogical to call those players bad, mean, or wrong.

I didn't say that bandits ruin the game for me I said they ruin it for some players.

I personally don't enjoy PvP servers or kill on sight, but it's absolutely illogical to call those players bad, mean, or wrong.

Just because it's in the rule set doesn't mean it's not a dick move. Do a dick move in any game and you're going to make enemies and get hate.

Camp corpses in any mmo, Zerg rush, camping in FPS...

It does mean it's not a dick move; there are servers with KOS and servers without. If you think KOS is wrong, you go to one without. KOS servers are there specifically for people who enjoy it. If you don't, that's fine, go somewhere else. It's utterly and completely illogical to call it a dick move to follow the rules on a server completely set up for that rule.

Some people think RP isn't fun and is stupid. But if they went on an RP server and then complained that people were being dicks by RP'ing at them and ruining their fun while they tried to focus on killing all zombies, that'd be illogical and wrong, also.

I didn't say that bandits ruin the game for me I said they ruin it for some players.

Just because it's in the rule set doesn't mean it's not a dick move. Do a dick move in any game and you're going to make enemies and get hate.

Just look at Eve Online. It's a game about the freedom to be a pirate, scam, cheat, and fight. I've gotten gate camped (basically, killed with no chance to fight back or have any recourse) several times with incredibly expensive ships that are permalost when you die. I was SO ANGRY that I died. But I was playing a game where that's part of the game; there's no ill will towards gate campers in Eve because that's what the game is about. I congratulated them on a job well done, fumed to myself for a few days about the hundred million isk (currency) lost, and then got back to it. If I didn't want to be gate camped, I should have stayed somewhere safe. If you don't want to be KOS'd, don't go to KOS servers. The only thing that's wrong about this situation is if someone puts themselves into a server with mechanics they know they don't enjoy, and then are rude to the people enjoying it.

Some people think RP isn't fun and is stupid. But if they went on an RP server and then complained that people were being dicks by RP'ing at them and ruining their fun while they tried to focus on killing all zombies, that'd be illogical and wrong, also.

guy.jpg

If you can't see the dick move in that there is no point arguing. Matter of opinion. Know it is not an example of KOS (though metal was doing that) but it is the same ethics. I guess maybe Jason should have congratulated him for destroying his base.

Apologies. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Being an asshole in chat afterwords is not equivalent to the action itself. And everyone playing on the PvP server is still subjecting themselves to it, intentionally. There's no opinion involved. You are stabbing yourself in the hand and blaming the knife. Play on a server that doesn't allow KOS or don't. Either way, you don't get to bitch about other players playing within the rules. It's illogical and more wrong than what they're doing.

There's no one who thinks raping children isn't a dick move that's not sick in the head. If you make another hyperbolic and offensive statement like this, I will remove you from these forums. You can either debate in a logical, friendly fashion, or find a new forum to be a part of. Comparing people following server rules to child rapists is sick.

Being an asshole in chat afterwords is not equivalent to the action itself. And everyone playing on the PvP server is still subjecting themselves to it, intentionally. There's no opinion involved. You are stabbing yourself in the hand and blaming the knife. Play on a server that doesn't allow KOS or don't. Either way, you don't get to bitch about other players playing within the rules. It's illogical and more wrong than what they're doing.

There is a reason the word "griefing" exists. People do shit to piss people off intentionally. A lot of them feed off of the negative attention.

Also, It is very much a matter of opinion at this point. What you see as something that's just a guy playing by the rules is griefing to the person whose base he just destroyed. Maybe you don't think that's shitty, but most people do.

You can call it griefing, and that's fine, but on a griefing server there's nothing morally objectionable about that. It's more morally objectionable to join a griefing server and then reciprocate what you feel is rudeness.

All you have to do to avoid it is join a different server. I'm not sure how you're missing the logic there. This is something you're willfully subjecting yourself to.

Griefing servers? Servers where players gather to grief each other? Sounds like the labeling of a server as griefing would negate it's purpose. I haven't seen a server that has been labelled as griefing.

All you have to do to avoid it is join a different server. I'm not sure how you're missing the logic there. This is something you're willfully subjecting yourself to.

If you read the thread you would see that I fully understand that there are going to be players who KOS on PVP servers and join them willfully. I'm not saying it ruins my day or that they should stop, I'm saying they are dicks and getting KOS'd pisses me off. No logic has been missed on my part. I joined this thread in response to OP.

"Why do PKs get so much hate??"

"Because you play the game just to grief and kill players."

"But why do PKs get so much hate??"

Question was asked, I gave my opinion. I don't see how it's so baffling that PKing pisses people off.

I'm not baffled that PK'ing would piss people off. I hate it when it happens to me, too. I am baffled that people who get pissed off by PK'ing play on servers where PK'ing is allowed and then get pissed off. There's an important distinction there, being that in one of those situations people are intentionally and willfully subjecting themselves to something that pisses them off. That shifts blame, by definition, to the person subjecting themselves to it. You don't stick a fork into a power outlet and then yell at the power outlet. You go put your fork in a steak and enjoy something you enjoy.

Edit: And if it's a PvE or RPPvP server, I totally agree. People who KOS on those servers are assholes who should be banned immediately. But that's not what OP is talking about, he's talking about playing on servers that specifically state PvP and/or KOS is allowed.

It depends: is the PVPer cheating? Is the PVPer only there to kill unsuspecting people on a server that, while PVP is enabled, isn't the focus of that server (allows people to defend their bases .etc)?

Lots of ways PVPing can still be "wrong," even on a server with it enabled. Players do take a chance that assholes will be present when logging onto a PVP server. This danger is part of that experience.

If you play PVP, expect PVP! Simple enough.

To be fair, there is a difference between PvP and kill on sight servers; sometimes there are rules against KOS on PvP servers, and that's just fine.

i think its all endet up like minecraft servers today

server full of mods,fire and other stuff that can destroy things are deactivated and pvp is not allowed .............

then after 2 years you cant find any mp server where people play like in the walking dead series.

the play like its not an survival game or something else.

every time an game has an good potential for an very hard mp survival too many server owners make it too easy or deactivate all things that find their players

annoying