Why do we care about 4Chan?

Keepbro

Seriously?

Why do we care about anything that happens on that site anymore? I used to be interested in what the slightly more mature members used to get up to especially when it came to stuff like anti-censorship laws and the like.

But lately all they seem to be doing is the digital equivalent of witch burning (that's not me implying women are witches by the way). i thought the point of the internet was to technologically uplift people not bring sexism and medieval lynching practices up to date with current technology.

Zoe Quinn does not deserve the almighty shit-storm that she got because of her poor choice of boyfriends.

Emma Watson does not deserve to have stolen pictures of her naked being passed around the web just because she took a role as a UN goodwill ambassador.

It's just one more in a growing list of why I am now going to start pushing people to make a difference and stop this crap.

So if you agree with me and feel that 4Chan has lost its mind/role as Internet Dark Horse supposed to fight for things that are important i.e. Internet Privacy, Censorship, government authoritarianism and generally things that people find crappy; then please start taking an active role in trying to stop it.

Don't link stuff, don't comment on Twitter feeds, don't visit 4chan, if you know people who are into the whole spreading poisonous rumours thing then convince them of the inherent wrong in what they are doing. I think its high time that we stopped using the awesome power of instant messaging and social media and global communications to engage in belittling and bullying people and use it for what it's meant for.

Never visited 4chan in my life; don't plan to start any time soon. I find forums like that to be nothing but a cesspool of pent up emotional rants.

Zoe Quinn does not deserve the almighty shit-storm that she got because of her poor choice of boyfriends.

Emma Watson does not deserve to have stolen pictures of her naked being passed around the web just because she took a role as a UN goodwill ambassador.

It goes without saying that nobody deserves to have their privacy taken away from them. I think the real issue here is the security vulnerabilities that are present in a lot of day-to-day programs we use and there needs to be a very thorough investigation done on security as a whole and implement strong measures backed up by legal reforms to stop companies taking shortcuts in online security and develop better tech because right now the hackers are outpacing everyone else in terms of tech.

Never visited 4chan in my life; don't plan to start any time soon. I find forums like that to be nothing but a cesspool of pent up emotional rants.

It goes without saying that nobody deserves to have their privacy taken away from them. I think the real issue here is the security vulnerabilities that are present in a lot of day-to-day programs we use and there needs to be a very thorough investigation done on security as a whole and implement strong measures backed up by legal reforms to stop companies taking shortcuts in online security and develop better tech because right now the hackers are outpacing everyone else in terms of tech.

Security vulnerabilities are never going away. As long as a human creates security protocol, another human can disassemble it. 

You sound like someone who has never visited 4Chan and therefore is in no position to be judging its entire community. What you're talking about is only linked to a couple boards and even then its contained to certain threads by a handful of people.

Why should all the other boards like /tg/, /g/, /k/, /vg/, /wg/, /co/, /a/, /fit/ and all the rest with the exception of /b/ and /pol/ be shut down? They literally did nothing wrong.

I can't believe some people still have this mentality that 4Chan is some hole in the wall site where only the lowlest go to kill kittens and fuck our moms. Its hugely diverse and popular and is home to many great content creators.

Security vulnerabilities are never going away. As long as a human creates security protocol, another human can disassemble it. 

Never suggested otherwise. But there are degrees to it. There is just plain old lazy and then there's heightened awareness of security issues. Security vulnerabilities will always be present regardless, but there needs to be continued efforts to make it harder. It's a never ending race and I get the impression that most firms are lazy.

You sound like someone who has never visited 4Chan and therefore is in no position to be judging its entire community.

Well I've never seen The Last Airbender, but I'll take it on good faith by the overall consensus that it is a terrible movie.

Plus my opinion is not a judgement on your community, it's an impression I've gotten from being on the web. Whether or not that is false I'll never know because I'll never visit 4chan. Call it ignorance if you will, it really doesn't matter.

Well I've never seen The Last Airbender, but I'll take it on good faith by the overall consensus that it is a terrible movie.

Plus my opinion is not a judgement on your community, it's an impression I've gotten from being on the web. Whether or not that is false I'll never know because I'll never visit 4chan. Call it ignorance if you will, it really doesn't matter.

Then have fun being misinformed and spreading that misinformation, I guess?

Never suggested otherwise. But there are degrees to it. There is just plain old lazy and then there's heightened awareness of security issues. Security vulnerabilities will always be present regardless, but there needs to be continued efforts to make it harder. It's a never ending race and I get the impression that most firms are lazy.

Fair enough. A bike lock is not going to stop a "bike thief" but will keep everyone who just wants a quick ride from nickin it

Broad generalisation just like people saying stuff about "gamers".

There are many boards that are nothing like the outside perception of 4chan as a whole.

It's the vocal shitheads that give outsiders the impression many people have.

There are shitty people in every community.

Yeah I personally enjoy 4chan. Yes it has its crazy side, its offensive side, certainly. But 4chan is a harbour of free speech on the internet so obviously you will find many different types of people on it. And regarding a celebrity leak, who even gives a fuck? Thousands of people get their identities legitimately stolen everyday but when it is a pretty face with a nip-slip then I gotta read about it on the news?

Also, the collective reaction people have is beyond your control or anyone's control for that matter. If thousands of people find Zoe Quinn's behaviour to have been abhorrent, and then took action on it. What can I do to stop it? Form a mob and take action? I believe more in becoming the change you seek. The only person I have a right to control is myself, so that is all I can do without stepping on toes. I just don't partake in activities I myself do not support. As simple as that.

If you don't like what they are doing, ignore them. Don't become a revolutionary leader to lead the fight against evil 4Chan. I've never visited 4Chan, so I have no right to have a good or bad opinion. But if you MUST lead an army to denounce 4Chan, please only denounce the dickheads and not the alright people who use 4Chan regularly and don't disturb others.

If there is a beautiful mansion with a rat problem, do you burn the house down or you remove the rats?

Yeah I personally enjoy 4chan. Yes it has its crazy side, its offensive side, certainly. But 4chan is a harbour of free speech on the internet so obviously you will find many different types of people on it. And regarding a celebrity leak, who even gives a fuck? Thousands of people get their identities legitimately stolen everyday but when it is a pretty face with a nip-slip then I gotta read about it on the news?

Also, the collective reaction people have is beyond your control or anyone's control for that matter. If thousands of people find Zoe Quinn's behaviour to have been abhorrent, and then took action on it. What can I do to stop it? Form a mob and take action? I believe more in becoming the change you seek. The only person I have a right to control is myself, so that is all I can do without stepping on toes. I just don't partake in activities I myself do not support. As simple as that.

On note of the leaked pictures, I find it a bit funny that people suddenly act shocked on the leaked photos, when the rags are full of upskirt and nip-slip shots of paparazzi, people who are getting paid to make controversial photos of celebrities. I'd like to see more people being advocating other people's right for privacy in those cases, too.

Are they going to jerk off to the pictures of Kate Upton, anyways? Most certainly.

I'm going to be honest Keepbro, this is a bit nuts - like stated multiple times before, there are quite allot of people who aren't racist/homophobic/Sexist arseholes that use 4chan (I'm mainly on /x/, personally.) and it's really just the smaller minority that people listen to.

It's like claiming that all Muslims are terrorists just because you hear about ISIS and Al Qaeda killing people non-stop, or that all Christians are racist because of their KKK extremists.

Just a few bad-apples spoiling the bunch.

The people who made this hoax seriously disgust me. The great thing about the internet is that you can just turn off your device and never expose yourself to something you dislike. Why are people lynching against websites they dislike? Can't they just ignore the websites they don't like?

The people who made this hoax seriously disgust me. The great thing about the internet is that you can just turn off your device and never expose yourself to something you dislike. Why are people lynching against websites they dislike? Can't they just ignore the websites they don't like?

It's more of a question of Should I?" than it is of "Can't I?" I fear.

I don't have much interest in 4chan, the only time I visited it I ended up seeing naked pics of people's ex girlfriends, and some mêmes. I guess I don't know where to find the interesting stuff ;o

Although there's something I don't understand about the community : if only a small bunch of people act in such a way that gives the whole 4chan community a bad reputation, why the rest of the community doesn't act "against" it/them ?

Although there's something I don't understand about the community : if only a small bunch of people act in such a way that gives the whole 4chan community a bad reputation, why the rest of the community doesn't act "against" it/them ?

Have you been on /b/? Or /pol/? There's no talking to them and they'd just fuck up the other boards if you took them down.

You can't tell people what to think or do on 4chan, leave them to do whatever they do down in Mordor. Generally every board has its own thing going for it. If you have something against chaos and trollery, don't go preaching to /b/ for example. If you want to be politically correct don't go crying to /pol/.

In the most abrasive and unfriendly way possible, you are welcome there.

Archived