What time period (roughly) does Project Zomboid take place?

Smiley

A simple question, really - but I haven't found an answer to it in any of the FAQs or other posts I've searched. Given that I found what looks like a Rubick's cube, I'm wondering if Project Zomboid is similar to Deadlight and original Day of the Dead in that it takes place in the 1980s?

If it is, that'd make a lot of difference in my item suggestions/modmaking plans to keep in accordance with that timeperiod.

There are LCD screens in the game, but also old CRT TV's too. You can realistically mod it within any time frame you wish, just remove/add technology as necessary. If you want to add a certain time period feel to it, create a cell phone; big, bulky and rare for older times, and small, sleek and very common for modern day, then have them spawning on zombies.

Simply having useless items spawn in the loot tables, i.e. an iPod or cassette tape in the drawer would help set the feel.

I think that would be a cheap periodical fix that might suit your mod plans.

I've always thought that the game would be taking place somewhere between the 70's and 90's. I've never seen that much interesting stuff in the 2000's or even the 90's as far as culture. It's all become such a commercial mush that there's no more room for that certain type of soul... The lcds sort of burst my little bubble though. :???: Maybe I'll someday try to mod the game to have that atmosphere. :D

EDIT: I wouldn't like to see smart phones etc. modern technology added to the game. It'd just make it dull imo.

In soviet Muldraugh, bleach drink you!

Best comment in the forum. 

I can't remember the exact year Will was thinking of, but PZ does indeed take place in the past, though not as far back as the 80s.  Those LCDs were done before I knew of the time period ;)

So we have Mash saying its in the past, not as far back as the 80's, but yes we also have the conflicting news of the mp3 player.

Maybe they could make it walkman? I like the idea of having to collect old cassettes and then having different mix-tapes as it were... 

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember the exact year Will was thinking of, but PZ does indeed take place in the past, though not as far back as the 80s.  Those LCDs were done before I knew of the time period ;)

I found a sign for free wi-fi outside the sunstar hotel http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.4994110384585443,0.19991525227126697,292.43738546120954

Maybe they had super secret pre-200s military wi-fi at this hotel? 

I don't know why but what year PZ is set really bugs me to find out the truth. 

There's a set spawn date? Often when I start a new game there is snow (because I'm using erosion mod) so that usually puts the start day around christmas...so maybe its randomised? Not sure. Maybe it is July 23rd. Maybe thats some mayan spiffo prophecy.

The erosion mod sets the default starting date for winter. It's set in the mods files and can be changed there. Vanilla is in July and iirc that can be changed in sandbox.

i always thought this game was meant to be set in the medieval era c.O 

seriously ... gonna mod this to ck2 timeframe when its released 

just to say "Hey pdox ... thansk for never releasing that zombie dlc ... now i made my own mod somewhere else"

Archived