I Just Stumbled Upon This...

Rathlord

In the Steam forums: http://steamcommunity.com/app/304650/discussions/0/45350245658233955/

It's a guy claiming to speak for the community of Steam, telling indie developers to stop being indie, join a huge team, and find a publisher. I'm asking everyone who reads this to go to the post and take a few minutes out of your day to let him know that he doesn't speak for the community. If you want to make it super quick, just copy paste:

"Hi, I just wanted to let you know that you don't speak for the community. Indie devs bring an incredible amount of spirit, creativity, and passion to the games industry and are single handedly saving it. Please don't post this letter again."

I don't think there's any need no copypaste something that someone else formulated. If you decide to post your opinion, post your own.

Not that there's any need for it, since it's 6 or 7 pages of "yeah no"

Can't find the thread in the steam launcher, else I'd add my voice to the sea of discontent swirling around this dick. And he's either not read any of the responses or he really is just trolling, because his only reply later in the thread (a thread where everyone was calling him out) was how wonderful all the support he's getting has been.

I say you should just lock the thread and ban him from the steam forum. Nothing good is coming from the thread or this guy's presence.

EDIT

OH! It's in the Sunless Sea forum. Stupid me.

It's just the ump-tenth repeat of "Early Access sucks/Early Access is low-quality" with "indies" in place of Early Access.

Why the hell should I, or anyone else, join a crusade against the guy's opinion? I can certainly sympathize with his position: there's a lot of crap out there and there's no way to gauge its quality until purchasing it (something even the developers of PZ were a bit upset about when a Certain Zombie Game went live). Does that mean his solution isn't naive, impractical, and outright hilarious? No. It doesn't deserve attention for that very reason.

Instead of letting him fall into obscurity, you've given him vindication through attention in your attempt to rally the troops. (Of course, this is somewhat egotistical -- there's no reason to think that every reply there is from this community alone, but hyperbole fits!)

You mean there is a tool on the internet posting broad sweeping discord? No Wai! :D  But seriously, the fact that he thinks only good things come from huge publishers/teams goes to show that he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about.  Just another dude thinking he knows 'whats what' because he has the ability to post on the internet.

[Edit: People will spend their money as they see fit, and the fact that a huge cashcow is starving really says something about what the people want]

[Edit Edit: Because lord knows we need another battlefield or call of duty! Give these guys your money so they can resell you the same game you bought last year!]

[Edit Edit Edit: What an Idiot.]

If we spent every aching hour jumping to the defense of others on the internet, we'd be up all night doing it.

That thread is now 6 pages long. It's probably going to be a lot longer by the end of the week. And as others have said, it will only serve to provide more negative attention to the Sunless Sea devs.

I like this guy. People with a 90 seconds idea who think they caught a new comprehension of world and realism. Also thinking they start a revolution by posting it in a forum makes it quite an amusement to read.

Just remember: you can't fix the shit, but you can strengthen the things you like and ignore the others.

But he is right. From a economical point of view PZ a very bad game. A big publisher would have many ideas how to improve PZ and make it better/faster/bigger for a larger, much more pay-willing community: because its too difficult, lacks of achievements, has no sex, and needs too long for its development. A good publisher knows good ways to get rid of these non-mainstream-issues.

Anyway. From a economical point of view I think I like bad games. And if its for me, Blizzard should burn in hell for Diablo 3 which is fun because this would like swallowing their own medicine cause D3 is placed in the same location and attempting to the quality of the game its like hell itself, even without showing Diablo himself.

In this way: Thank you, mister Indie Stone!(for not having achievements at all*)

*and for being so stupid and selfish and arrogant and ignorant not to join a big developer who can help you to improve yourself.

It's just the ump-tenth repeat of "Early Access sucks/Early Access is low-quality" with "indies" in place of Early Access.

Why the hell should I, or anyone else, join a crusade against the guy's opinion? I can certainly sympathize with his position: there's a lot of crap out there and there's no way to gauge its quality until purchasing it (something even the developers of PZ were a bit upset about when a Certain Zombie Game went live). Does that mean his solution isn't naive, impractical, and outright hilarious? No. It doesn't deserve attention for that very reason.

Instead of letting him fall into obscurity, you've given him vindication through attention in your attempt to rally the troops. (Of course, this is somewhat egotistical -- there's no reason to think that every reply there is form this community alone, but hyperbole fits!)

You surely don't have to. I'm just asking people to, because I want him to not post things like this. It hurts the entire game industry when people get ideas like this in mind, and that's rather important to me in my present employment track. There's no vindication in being told no by 20 more people in my humble opinion.

Not sure why you should sympathize with his problem, either. There's a lot of shitty cars out there, but you wouldn't go on a crusade against the automotive industry as a whole for it. Watch Let's Plays, reviews, talk to your friends. We have far more information about our purchases today than ever before in all of history- there's no excuse for not knowing what you're buying.

Archived