Fishing - Sustainable?

Strider

I was wondering. In the press release by Indie Stone they say that it's possible to deplete a stock of fish from a lake or river. 

I guess my question is. Can fishing be used to replace farming or will my protagonist starve?

I'd like it that one day I could have an NPC farm and/or I and other NPC's could fish. Collectively that would meet most dietary needs. For the time being. The aforementioned question stands.

I have no idea! Tell me if you find out :D.

Yeah. I was hoping that the 'hardcore' players who play more often than me could advise. I don't fancy starting a new game and making my way to the water just to test. I had a look at Bedford Falls just out of curiosity but I don't feel compelled to get into a game fully until NPC's arrive in force.

I am not sure. If I were you, I'd have both. Unless 1: You have a higher fishing level and you go fishing more, Or 2: You are a higher farming level and you farm more. It really depends, remember, Fish Population... NPC fishing would be cool, sending NPCs out to collect fishes for the group. Would be nice. So yeah...

I am not sure. If I were you, I'd have both. Unless 1: You have a higher fishing level and you go fishing more, Or 2: You are a higher farming level and you farm more. It really depends, remember, Fish Population... NPC fishing would be cool, sending NPCs out to collect fishes for the group. Would be nice. So yeah...

I'd rather it was the other way around. Farming is important to the 'realism' of the game but it's not something I have fun doing.

Yeah. I enjoy small scale farming as something of a hobby but in the game proper it's pretty tedious.

It's something I've thought about taking up. Horticultural gardening. In game it was fun to learn how to do it. Not as much fun having to repeat it.

This is why I was so pleased after meeting with some of the dev's at the Indie Stone night out. They actually got me quite excited about what they've got planned. I love the idea of bringing an NPC into the group who will take tasks off my hands. NPC's that will flesh out the realism of the game and instead inject a new variable. Social dynamics.

I'd suggest looking up how to plant the Three Sisters. Corn, Pole Beans, and some manner of Squash (like Cucumber and Zuchini). That's what I'm growing now.

NPCs are the feature that I am looking forward to the most.

I'd suggest looking up how to plant the Three Sisters. Corn, Pole Beans, and some manner of Squash (like Cucumber and Zuchini). That's what I'm growing now.

NPCs are the feature that I am looking forward to the most.

I've thought about it. That's as far as I've gotten so far :)

Perhaps when I have something better resembling a garden. It's mostly paved at the moment.

Well, it depends on what type of fish you catch. If you keep catching tuna fish or just tiny sprats. Farming would still be the primary food resource and fishing would be a backup for winter (if you could smoke or dry food - INPLEMENT THAT, GODDAMNIT! xD).

Well, it depends on what type of fish you catch. If you keep catching tuna fish or just tiny sprats. Farming would still be the primary food resource and fishing would be a backup for winter (if you could smoke or dry food - INPLEMENT THAT, GODDAMNIT! xD).

That's an excellent point actually. Before refrigeration many things were preserved with salt. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that's where we picked up the habit of using it as a condiment.

I wonder if salt will be introduced and if it might be a commodity. 

That's an excellent point actually. Before refrigeration many things were preserved with salt. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that's where we picked up the habit of using it as a condiment.

I wonder if salt will be introduced and if it might be a commodity. 

Aren't I a genius  (clyde)

I wanted to do something like this "fishing area" that can deplete, but someone told me it's quite unrealistic, even if you're 10 to fish in the same lake, you will not deplete the fishes population, so I didn't added something like this :)

From the horses mouth, so to speak. Thanks Romain!

I wanted to do something like this "fishing area" that can deplete, but someone told me it's quite unrealistic, even if you're 10 to fish in the same lake, you will not deplete the fishes population, so I didn't added something like this :)

Exactly.  We actually need a  zombie apocalypse to wipe out most of the human population.  The fishes of the world would flourish.

It may be unrealistic, but it beats having 30 people live indefinitely just because they can fish.

Cause die offs, make them rarer depending on factors .etc Lots of things to do.

Eh, once most of the humans die off there'll be enough fish left over to feed anyone who wants it. Dumping will stop. Boat traffic nonexistent. There'll be enough fish left to feed people.

I'm inclined to agree. It would make more sense to balance out this gameplay with risks. 

Like nodding off while fishing :)

there is an opening here for the Sadistic AI director to "adjust" fish populations with things like upstream rotting zombie corpses polluting the water and doing damage to the fish population, maybe preventing a new generation of minnows from growing to adulthood to spawn.

In the PZ world, I think the primary worry should be zombies or people, not the river running out of fish.  I would rather see the Sadistic AI director have a horde wander in while you are fishing than make the fish population run out. 

If we want it to be more realistic, make fishing in the winter much less likely to be successful. 

If a zombie apocalypse is catching, cooking, and eating fish, where do I sign up? :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: 

In the PZ world, I think the primary worry should be zombies or people, not the river running out of fish.  I would rather see the Sadistic AI director have a horde wander in while you are fishing than make the fish population run out. 

If we want it to be more realistic, make fishing in the winter much less likely to be successful. 

Wait, why would fishing be less successful in the winter? Haven't you ever went ice fishing? Anyways, I can't let someone mention the Sadistic AI director and not get excited :twisted:  I want it to cause zombies to keep coming in waves!!! Every week? Every day? Every hour? AAAHHH! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

One person won't realistically deplete a lake in a single year, but it would be reasonable for a small community to deplete a small lake rather quickly.

Most lakes I've been near have managed and stocked fisheries

The rivers though? The environment would fluorish.

One person won't realistically deplete a lake in a single year, but it would be reasonable for a small community to deplete a small lake rather quickly.

Most lakes I've been near have managed and stocked fisheries

The rivers though? The environment would fluorish.

Raises an interesting question though. How many NPC's is a good group. Or. Do we want groups or communities. Hell, while I'm talking out my arse how about whole towns of people.

It's possible. I'm not suggesting PZ become it.

Personally, 2-14 is a good number I pick up off the top of my head. Large enough to allow for social dynamics.

Well... If you've got small lakes it might be a good idea to use them to try and... I dunno, breed the fish? Throw extra, unused food scraps into the lake to feed the fish and increase reproduction rates. More food for the fish means the fish get fatter and have more energy for breeding, increasing the local population and granting the survivors a more easily sustainable food source. Would be a great secondary use for the "Chum Bucket" type item I suggested in the other fishing thread.

It'd be just like raising chickens or goats or any other kind of animal... Fish Ranching!