Any point in barricading walls?

Invader Jim

My current character is survived 4+ months since Z-Day. My safehouse is walled in. In the past month I have had ~6 zombies come for a visit. It must be due to meta game and all the running I do. I have killed 1900+ all told.

In any case, the visitors have always come and pounded on one of the doors, not on the walls. It makes me think that reinforcing walls is pointless as zombies seem to be attracted to doors except for one very early on that attacked a rain barrel.

Anyone seen a zombie attack a wall?

Absolutely. It all depends on what direction they come from, how many of them there are, and how your walls/doors are built. If one comes from a direction where you don't have a door, but just walls, chances are they're going to attack the walls first as opposed to finding their way around to the door.

But at the same time if you're already carpentry level 5 and have level 5 walls built, it probably doesn't matter too too much. If enough of them are going to bunch up that they'll be a threat to your level 5 walls, it's probably going to be enough of them that you're going to want to abandon ship instead of fight them anyway. I usually barricade any walls that are level 3 or lower for safety. Anything above that is pretty much overkill. It's not like having something else to do is a bad thing either way though, and if you're not level 5 carpentry yet every barricade you lay is one step closer to it.

Yeah right now the zombies don't press up against walls and stuff like they would do in The Walking Dead or something to wear them down over time. I like the idea of them being able to take down wall's over time if they can hear you inside. If anything a Zombie shouldn't know the difference between a wall and a door most of the time. Windows make sense because they can see inside though.

Yeah right now the zombies don't press up against walls and stuff like they would do in The Walking Dead or something to wear them down over time. I like the idea of them being able to take down wall's over time if they can hear you inside. If anything a Zombie shouldn't know the difference between a wall and a door most of the time. Windows make sense because they can see inside though.

There is a recent discussion about that, I agree with you.

in my newest survival game, i have the house in muldraugh that where the yard is already 95% walled. you know the one i mean. i threw 3 walls and a door at the entrance, and it seems every 5 minutes i have a zombie trying to walk thru the wall.

maybe the fact the walls are stage 1 walls they can see thru has something to do with it though.

There is a recent discussion about that, I agree with you.

That would be pretty cool. If they bunched up against them and just the sheer weight of them could cause your walls to buckle, as opposed to them having to attack them directly. It'd certainly be realistic.

in my newest survival game, i have the house in muldraugh that where the yard is already 95% walled. you know the one i mean. i threw 3 walls and a door at the entrance, and it seems every 5 minutes i have a zombie trying to walk thru the wall.

maybe the fact the walls are stage 1 walls they can see thru has something to do with it though.

Do walls appear difference depending upon stage? What do you mean by stage? I thought a wall is a wall is a wall.

Do walls appear difference depending upon stage? What do you mean by stage? I thought a wall is a wall is a wall.

Yeah, each level of the carpentry skill produces different levels of walls, both in terms of durability and how the walls visually appear. I don't think they're as complex as being able to see through the weaker walls or anything like that though, at least not yet. I think it's just a durability thing. Try it out. There's a huge difference between level 0 or 1 walls and level 3-5 walls.

Yeah, each level of the carpentry skill produces different levels of walls, both in terms of durability and how the walls visually appear. I don't think they're as complex as being able to see through the weaker walls or anything like that though, at least not yet. I think it's just a durability thing. Try it out. There's a huge difference between level 0 or 1 walls and level 3-5 walls.

I think this is ridiculous. (Not the person posting, what is being discussed) I think yes, as you gain levels in carpentry that you're buildings should have say, maybe more HP. But to think that everything we build in this game is going to have different looks at each level is a bit taxing for our PC's, no? I really don't have much a clue about creating games, but doesn't every new item/sprite whatever have to be coded individually to react with all the objects that it might come in contact with. I have only messed around with GameMaker and am still a noob at that... but am I incorrect in saying that the more sprites/images/items we have... the more work it is, the longer builds take to release, the better chance of builds not be stable/having more bugs. I like that we have all these items that can be picked up, I like the way building is done in game, and I want this game to come out already... and I don't want things that don't need to be in the game (IMO) causing bugs, delaying time, making me wait to finally go save a few NPC's and build my own damn colony. I am relatively new to this game.. and when I say that, I mean I found out this game has been out for like 4 years and am somewhat wondering... WHY? Opinions are like dirty whats and everybodys got one and they all stink. This was my opinion... here is to hoping like everybody to be able to run what appears to be a graphically simple game on my beefy PC within the next Idk year. 

"Ridiculous" is an odd word to use when the overarching topic is fighting off the walking dead. ;-) I  have the impression that any PC can play this game one it's properly tweaked.  6 months ago (...version 2.9 ? pre Beta, farm plots still teleported) I was playing on a Pentium 4, w/ 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce 7400. Srsly. Poor ol' girl finally died and I upgraded only to find that I couldn't play PZ. Following the right links to update my ATI card and...I think my processor, and all was good. Admittedly, I've been having a lot of fun with this game even in Alpha so I'm really not that anxious about the game finally "coming out." It would be nice for my friends to know WTF zombie game I keep going on about. Anyway, I really appreciate every little unique and new touch the designers are able to implement. =)

to follow up on my post, i went and barricaded the 3 walls, 4 barricade boards per wall section, and it seems to have stopped the zombies from being able to see thru the fence as i have not had any banging into it for the past 5 game days.

I know... I'm just a dummy trying to put into words what my dumb brain is thinking. 

Responding to original post:

I have never seen any zombie try to attack my (my buildings) walls, only my doors.

I have plenty of spare wood (Giggidy) so I usually do in fact barricade my walls.

I know... I'm just a dummy trying to put into words what my dumb brain is thinking. 

Responding to original post:

I have never seen any zombie try to attack my (my buildings) walls, only my doors.

I have plenty of spare wood (Giggidy) so I usually do in fact barricade my walls.

They definitely do attack walls in the current build. I had one knocking on my wall when I was clearing out the forest. The sound of the cutting made the zombie walk up to my wall and bang on it as I slept the night away. Quickly killed him and moved on, but I was actually surprised as I know in older builds they would, but newer builds I've yet to really see that.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see a hell of a lot more wall options than a standard wall. Or high level fence as thats what it is.

Being able to brace a fence / wall with posts sounds good to me. Same as doors etc.

Placing barbedwired around the top and allowing the building of slopped roofs be nice too.

But i feel a wall should be able to be pushed down ovee time if its not braced with zombies.

Maybies some kind of maths is needed to work out zombie force x zombie number - wall strength + carpentry level + plus brace resistance - wall damage + time = ??????. Sort of thing to see if a group pushes the wall down in time.

Or even pull. Why not pulling it down or even try to climb .

I.hope in time a lot of detailed zombie attacks is added.

Spiked defences around the base of the wall would be good too. 7 days to die has spikes..

Time will tell.

Also the walls disappearing bug needs sorting soon too.

Wooden pillars: are they necessary for supporting higher floors, or merely a cosmetic addition, and do they serve to strengthen player-made walls?

E.g. *---*---*---*  (* = wooden pillar, --- = 1 wall section)

Or are they only really needed to add corner pieces where two walls meet at 90 degrees, in order to prevent zombies peering through the gap?

Archived