Rain does not cause sickness o.o

siking

Kay, so I did some very scientific research leading me to believe that there is no realistic grounds for the belief that being out in the rain makes you sick.

Scientific Research ---> Yahoo Answers

As the game is going for realism, I thought I'd point this out and suggest instead perhaps a decrease in happiness (unless there is a future trait of Free Spirit or Weatherphile which would instead cause your animation to switch to prancing and frolicking with outstretched arms when in the rain).... *ahem*.... and decrease in strength/speed, as being wet would weigh you down?

To continue on that note, everyone huddled together too long in the safehouse (perhaps to wait out the bad weather) would lead to increased passage of germs and therefor increased chance of sickness.

YOUR SAFEHOUSE IS NOT EQUAL SAFE!!!

Also another downer (to balance things out), why not a decrease in vision distance when in the rain? Is that already there?

I see people waiting indoors a whole lot in the rain for fear of sickness, when really that same fear should keep them from stuffing themselves indoors for too long (unless they're all alone). Changing sickness to indoors during huddles would motivate players to keep going out and facing zombie death, which is always a good thing, nay?

I think the mechanic itsfelf is fine, getting wet and staying in wet clothes will lead to a possible flu outbreak or you get the flu or whatever sickness you might catch being wet and cold. Maybe the chance of getting a cold when getting wet is to high, that might be true. But, I guess that once a raincoat or umbrella is ingame, you won't have to worry about getting sick from rain much anymore.

You already get a decrease in speed and strength due to very wet clothes.

A spread of a sickness, like if you treat an npc because he or she has a cold is a nice idea. there are several factors that lead to sickness though, being cold and wet is surely one factor, eating right/wrong also. physical activies, ehrm, I guess we got that covered with runnin' and killin'.

A very common myth, this will probably change when the start to introduce the upgraded medical system.

I hope that they add raincoats in an update soon, rain is OP currently. 

there is a certain correlation between getting wet and getting sick. And I don't mean getting wet like in the shower, but getting wet outside, getting your clothes soaked, draining your body heat, weakening your immune-system, etc...

To quote a very smart man:

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'.

A very common myth, this will probably change when the start to introduce the upgraded medical system.

I hope that they add raincoats in an update soon, rain is OP currently. 

there is a certain correlation between getting wet and getting sick. And I don't mean getting wet like in the shower, but getting wet outside, getting your clothes soaked, draining your body heat, weakening your immune-system, etc...

That is correct, I did not mention it as the yahoo answers link already mentioned it.

Well, an un-cited yahoo source isn't really much of a source, but the point is generally accurate.

Being outside, stationary in the rain will make you cold which can easily make you sick. But if you're out and about running, you should be relatively warm.

But if you're out and about running, you should be relatively warm.

True but that depends also on your clothing. You will get wet and cold if you're in the rain for long enough time or if you come inside and don't dry yourself off. The point why you usually get sick when you're cold or wet etc. is because you're body is using it's energy to keep you warm and lowers your immune system so that you get more vulnerable for the bacteria/viruses that are already in your system. And the bacteria/viruses come from the nature, or even more likely in this case, zombies which are rotting humans. Now tell me if blood splatters from a bacteria ridden corpse can't get some bacteria on you, were it through air or touch. Then you add the effect of cold and lower immune system.

TL;DR:

The reason why people link sickness with cold is because the disease usually breaks the next day of getting cold. But the truth in fact is that you've had that bacteria(or whatever. fungus ftw!) in your system for 2-5 days already.

The wet moodlet family should a few things. Make you cold (how do you think sweat works, eh?). Increase the chances of catching waterborne disease. Also think if you are soaked for a while it should make you sad too. Also the speed  and cold debuff/resistance should come from gear. (for example soaked in goretex wouldn't give debuffs to cold and speed as the water doen't touch skin; but you are still covered in a vector for disease) I imagine the cold you get from the rain is a placeholder until they add the disease system as there as tonnes of different vectors for disease and pathogens. To condense the possible vectors into an aggregate list it's be; air, bodily fluids, water, contact, parasites & vermin.

The wet moodlet family should a few things. Make you cold (how do you think sweat works, eh?). Increase the chances of catching waterborne disease. Also think if you are soaked for a while it should make you sad too. Also the speed  and cold debuff/resistance should come from gear. (for example soaked in goretex wouldn't give debuffs to cold and speed as the water doen't touch skin; but you are still covered in a vector for disease) I imagine the cold you get from the rain is a placeholder until they add the disease system as there as tonnes of different vectors for disease and pathogens. To condense the possible vectors into an aggregate list it's be; air, bodily fluids, water, contact, parasites & vermin.

You can't really contract waterborne diseases from rain. 

Ah I see what you missed there. It's not that the rain gives you a disease but you are now covered in a vector for waterborne disease. So if you got coughed or sneezed on you would have a larger chance of contracting it.

Ah I see what you missed there. It's not that the rain gives you a disease but you are now covered in a vector for waterborne disease. So if you got coughed or sneezed on you would have a larger chance of contracting it.

Not really, being wet would hardly make it easier for germs to infect you, unless you are cold and wet for long periods which could weaken your immune system.  

Not really, being wet would hardly make it easier for germs to infect you, unless you are cold and wet for long periods which could weaken your immune system.  

which is what the soaked moodle is simming isn't it?

which is what the soaked moodle is simming isn't it?

No, they may need to add another moodle that goes after soaked. 

Getting sick is the least of your worries. Your forgetting the fundamental 3Cs of survival.

3 hours without shelter, 3 days with water, 3 weeks without food

On a cold day when its pouring down, if you get drenched and dont get dry you will/can die of hypothermia due to your bodys core temp going down to low. I think the ingame tooltip should rename sickness to death. If your body manages to gain enough metabolic heat to see you through the storm, your body will have used to ALOT of calories to create that heat which will then need to be replenished. So your hunger levels should deplete aswell.

Game additions: A hot cuppa could alievate some of the side effects or a soup or being near a campfire.

Also if you do catch a cold, perhaps introduce Pine trees so you can have pine needle tea to get Vit C intake to combat the sickness. (Or from other veggies but pine trees are a extremely easy source of it if you live near them)

Rain, you get wet, heavy, unhappy, you are more prone to cold, and so also disease, even if you run and stay warm you will use more energy and so when you stop and are still wet you will be even more prone to disease and a fever.

I once biked to work though the rain and didnt have spare clothes and was thus forced to work in my wet clothes even though they were almost dry/damp when i went home i had already caught a fever which is how the body reacts when it is working hard to fend of infections and sickness. So a cold and eventually a fever is a good thing for the rain.

But add too many things to it and it will eventually just be a death wish if you walk out into the rain. Cause there is too little to make up for all the negative effects especially since you get tired after swinging a bat after 2-3 swings (A bit dumb if you ask me, dunno about you but i dont have a muscle disease..) and tiredness doesnt let you run and you get stressed and panicked and lose awareness and that is after just one zombie if another comes you as a player will even panic as your character is seeming close to dying and slow as hell and cant attack from being in the rain for a while...

Sorry for sucking at using punctuation.

Rain, you get wet, heavy, unhappy, you are more prone to cold, and so also disease, even if you run and stay warm you will use more energy and so when you stop and are still wet you will be even more prone to disease and a fever.

I once biked to work though the rain and didnt have spare clothes and was thus forced to work in my wet clothes even though they were almost dry/damp when i went home i had already caught a fever which is how the body reacts when it is working hard to fend of infections and sickness. So a cold and eventually a fever is a good thing for the rain.

But add too many things to it and it will eventually just be a death wish if you walk out into the rain. Cause there is too little to make up for all the negative effects especially since you get tired after swinging a bat after 2-3 swings (A bit dumb if you ask me, dunno about you but i dont have a muscle disease..) and tiredness doesnt let you run and you get stressed and panicked and lose awareness and that is after just one zombie if another comes you as a player will even panic as your character is seeming close to dying and slow as hell and cant attack from being in the rain for a while...

Sorry for sucking at using punctuation.

Once ways to counter rain (raincoats,umbrellas) are added rain will probably be re-balanced.

• 2 weeks later...

The rain itself? No. Cold, wet and open to exposure, yea that will make you sick and kill you. Even in a summer rain, sit around in those wet clothes that evening, hell, sleep in them. See if you wake up the next day feeling 100%. Betcha won't lol

The rain itself? No. Cold, wet and open to exposure, yea that will make you sick and kill you. Even in a summer rain, sit around in those wet clothes that evening, hell, sleep in them. See if you wake up the next day feeling 100%. Betcha won't lol

Please read thread replies before posting, this has already been said.