Buff Construction Worker

RedKrypton

Like said in the title, please buff the construction worker.

He is on the line to being OP in a Zomboid kinda way.

Because everywhere I look people just play with the CW.

He has the biggest benifits and the trait system as much as I like it needs an overhaul. But that is a complete different matter.

But he doesn't start with a shirt.

You're right, most of them need stronger/more useful starting traits for diversity, thick skinned is only the good one at the moment. Although the careers have had much love recently, I'm sure it will be overhauled and fleshed out in good time.

Yeah definitely. It's one of these things which will get more balanced as new features go in. So in much the same way that it's currently possible to make yourself OP by choosing negative traits which have no current consequence (like moody), the same is true for professions.

For example (and this is just an example), when the NPCs roll out, say the Police Officer gains an advantage - such as, people tend to respect authority, so police officer has an easier time becoming a group leader... in this case, we haven't had to nerf the construction worker, just that other professions have gained, so now you're sacrificing that lovely "thick skinned" perk if you want the NPC gains.

As it changes I expect many things to change.  Construction worker might stay the "easiest" for some things; but that's ok...

I like the Ranger (not having to race inside to avoid illness from rain is nice) but the 2nd perk listed (extra Orienteering) isn't in yet... when it is, I'll be curious to see what it does (and I guess it might be handy for those of us always always always lost and wondering where we left our safehouse). :P

Not sure what the game mechanics would be; but knowing (oh, the last place I slept *as denoting safehouse maybe be complicated?* is NNW of here) or comparable would be something very nice.  Especially when you've been berry picking and gotten turned around.  Or something else entirely; I dunno.

And the Park Ranger does already have an easier time making a campfire from kindling and not petrol as I recall.

Hadn't considered the rest... Police officer with extra NPC persuade would make some sense.  I suspect there's a lot of fleshing out to do there; once they get to it.  And the Mod possibilities once those are in place will be fun.

I don't expect they'll be all the same, or all equally easy/useful.  But I do think by the time multiplayer happens they'll all have something you'll really want in your group.  Construction worker seems a bit OP now as all his stuff is basic (and therefore implemented) but I'd expect some of the others to start to shine as more stuff gets added.

As an analogy: It's often easier to play a Paladin than a Cleric in many RPGs solo; but most groups want a Cleric, Rogue, and Mage and not 5 Paladins.  But playing solo the game changes.  When this goes even limited server-run multiplayer you're likely not going to want 3-5 construction workers alone.

Maybe extra recipe options for some professions and not others.  Maybe the Ranger can make a tent easier than you with less stuff; but maybe the night security guard doesn't get bored eating TV dinners all week.  I'd say everyone should be able to make a tent; but I don't know if they'd all be equally good.  Or when/if hunting and feral animals are implemented that could be something he'd excel at?

** Yes, I'm focused on the Ranger now as my guy; will probably try some of the others too; especially as they change.

Night watchman - if my Ranger keeps sleeping 10-12 hours a night taking time away from my cooking/farming/barricading this might be a perk worth having.  Add in a boredom boost is my first thought (if you can watch a monitor showing nothing while eating TV dinners every day for a month without getting bored before zombies; what could make you bored now?)

Police Officer - extra NPC persuasion would be handy, not sure what else off the top of my head.

Firefighter - Better movement speed when encumbered maybe (to represent knowing how to carry people/stuff; not so much "strong" as a different way of being "strong").  Maybe he splits the diff from normal movement and normal encumbered when he's encumbered?

Just spitballing; but rather than change CW why not change others to make them more valuable (even if just to a team). 

Once NPCs get implemented and the Police Officer is given a leadership perk, I don't think I'd never not be a Police Officer. Having disposable, interchangeable minions to do my gardening, raise my livestock, cook my food and maintain my water supplies would free me up to do a lot of things I'd love to focus on like supply runs, training a litter of puppies to be ferocious attack dogs, or building a bookshelf.

Once NPCs get implemented and the Police Officer is given a leadership perk...

Er, remember that bit where I said this was "only an example"? :D Exactly how the perks of the various professions will adapt over time is up in the air and will depend of a number of things, including the order in which various features get integrated ;)

There will be a lot of professions that are not in the game yet ! But please devs , dont make the milkman profession too strong ... In every zombie-game people wanna play as one or the main character is one. I hope PZ will be more realistic and make him a bit weaker than in other media forms !

What about a Barbarian/Lumber Jack cross class? Can organize a DnD campaign to pass the time  :geek:

By the way, that's only kind of a joke. I want to be able to find rule books for a tabletop game and have a nice, relaxing game night with my NPC homies. Drink all of the orange soda. Keep track of character sheets with paper and pen. Forget about the pressures of surviving the zombie apocalypse for one night while I pretend to be Grobnack, the Half-Orc Barbarian.

Oh, if we're actually doing this than I'm gonna have to switch out Grobnack and switch in Felix, my Divine Necromancer. Party member or antagonist, depends on what sort of campaign we want to run. I freaking love Divine Necromancers. I can support the party with healing magic AND a wall of undead bugbears.

I can imagine if you choose something like "Drug Dealer" you will have a lower disposition with random NPCs who "recognize" you (You dealed drugs in their neighborhood, was in the paper, etc.) but you can carry more stuff/have a higher persuasion skill.

What about a Technician? can make radios out of wires, batteries and headphones. Also can make car batteries (when vehicles are added). aaaaand that's all I can think of.

No, because that's impossible.
It's possible, I imagine. You'd jus need all the right parts and a lot of difficult work and technical know how. Really, your time would be better spent just trying to find an actual radio, though, so not worth the effort.