2 quick things about schools and clocks

TheWraithPlayer

My current character is currently barricaded in a class room, and I noticed two odd things.

1). On the way to the classroom while searching the school, I found absolutely no zombies.

2). Even with the clock on the wall, I didn't know what time it is.

As far as the zombie thing, put some freaking zombies in the school! Even with the no zombie children stance (which I understand btw) you could still have zombified teachers and others that wandered in.

As for the clock, as long as the power is on you should be able to tell time if a clock is in the room. If the power is off, then the clock on the top right corner should say what time it was on the clock.

20 hours ago, The Googlator said:

Since when did wall clocks use mains electricity? The wall clocks should be powered by batteries and of course with the ability to change the battery. Good points here, although I think the 'No zombies in school' was a bit of a fluke, I find in the school in WP there's always a good number of zeds about :)

-TG

Whoops, you have a point about the clock thing, my bad, but on the zombie front, I NEVER find a zombie in the school, never! I have even tried to make it my base once, I failed later on, but I found  zero zombies on exploration.

On 12/26/2016 at 3:05 PM, The Googlator said:

Unusual... We are talking about the school in WP right ? 
I don't usually find many zombies inside the school and agree the spawns should be higher... but never have I seen the area zombie-free .... 

-TG

Yeah, this time i didn't get to explore that much, but the only ones I found were from after they broke down the doors and windows.

On 12/26/2016 at 7:56 PM, Kim Jong Un said:

I always find zombies in schools. However having zed in buildings is not a set, gauranteed thing. You just got lucky.

Maybe, but I've been through the school a few times, and every time what parts I am in have no zombies except for the ones following me, for usually I get chased into the school instead off going there to loot or scout.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to be able to change clock batteries and to know the time whenever the player enters a room where there is a clock. Digital clocks should need battery (coin cells) changes too (which should be much harder to find).

And as far as zombies in schools goes, I play with high density and there's always A TON of zeds either inside or all around the WP school. I think there was only one playthrough where I found almost none.

It also kind of makes sense for the schools to be deserted (even if its just a RNG thing). No child zombies will be coming and there can only be some much faculty that were conveniently left in the school.

Other than that, I love making bases in schools (tons of space for customization, and usually some kind of perimeter already designated) and the less broken windows there are the easier everything is to look at. So yay for me, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to the clocks, I remember the digital clocks in my old school being powered by electricity. I also remember them being completely useless, because they would reset every time the power went out and it took days for the principal or custodian or whoever to set them back to the proper time. Just in time for us to have another power outage. This was also around 2000 or so, but I could see schools in 1993 having a similar system. It's not like the technology didn't exist.

40 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Getting back to the clocks, I remember the digital clocks in my old school being powered by electricity. I also remember them being completely useless, because they would reset every time the power went out and it took days for the principal or custodian or whoever to set them back to the proper time. Just in time for us to have another power outage. This was also around 2000 or so, but I could see schools in 1993 having a similar system. It's not like the technology didn't exist.

Or, if the frequency of the source varied, they'd then go out of sync. Had them very briefly in my elementary school in the early 90s.

Interestingly, Earth Abides touches on this. A clock in Ish's kitchen overheated or went out of sync when the grid started to fail. And . . . then the city burned.