Is there a chance to survive when you were bitten?

Himari

Recently I found an information in Steam about a little chance to survive when you were bitten. But I don't know is it true or not, because in oficcial wiki this information is not available. I just can't find it on another sites. So I come here to find answer on my question from people who really know it.

This is a steam-page (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=353672131), where some guys speaking about it. I want to see a proof if it possible. Please, could you help me?

P.S. Sorry for mistakes - english is foreighn language for me.

It is, you have about 10% of not getting infected from a bite. 9 times out of 10 it is lethal. I survived a bite maybe twice. One way to tell if you've got infected (Not Sure if it still works) is that if you get infected with zombie virus and check the health panel, your health status will never reach OK.

I think the 96% there is more like 97%. I never once survived a bite in my 300+ hours of play. As long as you get scratched/bitten and reach "OK" in the health panel you won't become a zombie or die. So far that's helped me know before I get queasy.

Scratches and bites are two different things. With bites, you have saliva to worry about.

Thanks for the pro tip! ;-) Srsly, do we know what the survival chance actually is? 10% blows, but it's better than 3%.  ...also, if the game now saves every two minutes, is it now possible to just exit if you're bitten? Not sure that I'd ever do that unless I got distracted IRL.

I don't think anyone has done a truly scientific study on this,and we certainly don't have the actual source code. People tend to only remember the bad times out the ones that go against expectations, so remember ALWAYS being zombified, not recovering.

I don't know about anyone else, but I wonder if broken legs are even survivable. Every time that's happened to me in game, I've died. I heard that broken bones are supposed to heal, eventually.

That seems off topic, but illustrates my point.

Yeah, Ive survived tons of scratches in my PZ tenure, but in all the time I've played Ive never ever survived a bite. I've heard a lot of times of it being done, but I've never seen it myself. You generally know within 24 hours. If you go to sleep that night and wake up anxious the next morning you're pretty much cooked. At least in my experience.

^ or queasy, yeah.

There's several factors contributing to the odds.  The absolute base chance is a 96% infection rate, which I believe increases to 98% when you take thin skin and 90% when you take thick skin.  Numbers I don't know are when you take the "Lucky" trait, and stuff like that.

Scratches and bites are two different things. With bites, you have saliva to worry about.

Thanks for the pro tip! ;-) Srsly, do we know what the survival chance actually is? 10% blows, but it's better than 3%. ...also, if the game now saves every two minutes, is it now possible to just exit if you're bitten? Not sure that I'd ever do that unless I got distracted IRL.

You could just exit out if you really wanted to and were fast enough. I did it a couple of days ago for something else so its definitely possible. My character was just on the cusp of full recovery from a broken leg, as tedious as mending a broken leg is, and I was out exploring a community-made map with my newly recovered ability to run, and walked up a flight of stairs that just dropped back down a story at the top, effectively breaking my other leg. There was nothing I could have done to avoid the fall outside of just not exploring thoroughly, and I wasnt about to go through another break just because the map was unfinished. Thats probably the only scenario I could see myself doing that for though. For a bite Id probably bite the bullet, ditch anything I was carrying at home, take the death, and start a new character in the same world.

wanderinbilly, you can do whatever you want to treat a bite, disinfecting, eating etc it will never help against zombification, if the game decides you're infected, you're infected.

vonVile Except if you've the hypochondriac trait, of course.

Aw, I pretty much assumed that, but I can't just give up: it's not my nature. ;-) The value of eating a lot immediately and maintaining a "well fed" moodle is solely (?) just to know if I'm going to die, i.e. the health meter won't get to OK. That's why I don't take hypochondria anymore: if my game is over, I just want to know so that I can move on.

Even with hypochondria you can find out if you gonna die or not just by seeing the OK status.

Ok, I'm seeing the logic...but, once the fake infection process starts, i.e. queasiness, health dropping, etc. are you *able* to get to "OK?"

I've been through fake infections all the way to the brink of death, but it has been a loooong time. If you're correct, i.e. I could get to OK even w/ hypochondria (and thus know) I'll start using that trait again! 

Yes, you're able to get to "OK" that's what I tried to say :) I know what I'm talking about, I always have hypochondria, but you know, you still get the disease's effects, your health go down but if you sleep when you're sick you're going to be alright when you wake up.

It has always been 25 % for scratches and 96 % for bites.
And when I mean always, I mean it, back way in the 1.5D day's(most of you weren't around during that version).

Also I thought thick skinned and thin skinned affected what is the chance to receive an injury from a zombie when it does a full lean on animation, not that it affected the chance of infection also...

Yes, you're able to get to "OK" that's what I tried to say :) I know what I'm talking about, I always have hypochondria, but you know, you still get the disease's effects, your health go down but if you sleep when you're sick you're going to be alright when you wake up.

Excellent! Thank you for the extra trait points: hypochondria will pair nicely w/ restless sleep. ;)

It has always been 25 % for scratches and 96 % for bites.

And when I mean always, I mean it, back way in the 1.5D day's(most of you weren't around during that version).

Also I thought thick skinned and thin skinned affected what is the chance to receive an injury from a zombie when it does a full lean on animation, not that it affected the chance of infection also...

This is what i kind of thought, I wasn't around way back in the 1.5D days but I thought that thick skinned will just decrease the chances of getting a bite and not the chance bite's chance of infection percent?

I could be wrong, but maybe a dev can shed some light one this?

Otherwise for me, a bite is pretty much always fatal.

I have survived a bite. I think the game does a dice roll and determines immediately if youve been infected or not. Just clean the bite and pray.

If that is the case then I must suck at the dice roll, since for me on this MP server I was on 3/4 scratches are fatal.

I have survived a bite. I think the game does a dice roll and determines immediately if youve been infected or not. Just clean the bite and pray.

If that is the case then I must suck at the dice roll, since for me on this MP server I was on 3/4 scratches are fatal.

Bleach also cures the zombie virus. You can always fall back on that if luck doesnt help.