That one food or drink...

DrummerKidJack

...that you know you would never, ever get tired of consuming. Recently, I have come to the realization that were there to be a benevolent higher being watching over us all, Indian food would be proof that he/she/it/they wants us to be happy and prosperous. For my entire life until about a month ago, I had been ignorant of the deliciousness of a good hot curry, and now I'm scared I might be missing out elsewhere.

So, my question to you fellas and fellinas is thus:

What's that one food or drink that is delicious beyond the most distant scope of human imagination?

Drink - Earl Grey Tea, no milk, no sugar. Just bliss.

Food - Chilli Con Carne with steam fried rice. I could shit that stuff out every day of the week.

My girlfriend bought this tea:

http://www.prattys.co.nz/shop/anxiety/earls-french-fling/

and it is one delicious combination of leaves. I've been drinking coffee more lately though, because anxiety relief from uni assignments (no crack dealer you see, so coffee is the next best thing*). 

*due to certain domestic spying laws being legitimized in New Zealand, this is a disclaimer to specify that this was a joke, Mr. Key. I do not indulge in the bitter rock candy.

I really love true Italian style coffee (which is basically served in a shot glass, and is more like what most people would consider espresso). It's very strong, though, and not for the weak of palate, so try it at your own risk.

A more 'softcore' drink is fresh berry iced tea. Iced tea is mainly enjoyed by southerners, but it's delicious. Do it served over ice, with plenty of sugar, and brewed with some fresh berries such as blueberries and it's one of the best drinks for cooling off in the summer- completely unmatched for lightness and flavor.

As far as food goes, I've got a few:

True, Italian style lasagne with bechamel sauce. It takes something like 4 hours to make right, everything from scratch, and it is fantastic. It's nothing like you get at stores or restaurants. Home made lasagne noodles is a must.

Risotto (I promise I'm not Italian, I just love their food!). There's a ton of different risotto recipes out there, but a simple risotto with a few fresh ingredients is amazing comfort food and fantastic for meals. Works great with red wine, too, if you're so inclined.

And last but not least, fried okra. It's something most people from around the world have never eaten, so I'll link a picture:

fried-okra.jpg

It's basically just slices of okra (which is normally a kind of icky vegetable for most people) which are battered and fried. They get crispy and crunchy, they're salty and delicious. Very few restaurants do it favor, the okra really needs to be fresh or it can get slimy or squishy. It's probably not something most people have access to, but if you ever get a chance to try it- do.

Horray for espressos! I drink those, mostly because I'm too lazy to deal with the milk frothing stuff.

Also, Italian food is just fantastic. I usually stick to the simple stuff like carbonara and bolognaise, but I hadn't considered a risotto before... one to add to the list. Also, okra, that's a South Asian/Arabic food, innit? Might actually be one of the things that's easier to get a hold of down here.

I really love true Italian style coffee (which is basically served in a shot glass, and is more like what most people would consider espresso). It's very strong, though, and not for the weak of palate, so try it at your own risk.

A more 'softcore' drink is fresh berry iced tea. Iced tea is mainly enjoyed by southerners, but it's delicious. Do it served over ice, with plenty of sugar, and brewed with some fresh berries such as blueberries and it's one of the best drinks for cooling off in the summer- completely unmatched for lightness and flavor.

As far as food goes, I've got a few:

True, Italian style lasagne with bechamel sauce. It takes something like 4 hours to make right, everything from scratch, and it is fantastic. It's nothing like you get at stores or restaurants. Home made lasagne noodles is a must.

Risotto (I promise I'm not Italian, I just love their food!). There's a ton of different risotto recipes out there, but a simple risotto with a few fresh ingredients is amazing comfort food and fantastic for meals. Works great with red wine, too, if you're so inclined.

And last but not least, fried okra. It's something most people from around the world have never eaten, so I'll link a picture:

fried-okra.jpg

It's basically just slices of okra (which is normally a kind of icky vegetable for most people) which are battered and fried. They get crispy and crunchy, they're salty and delicious. Very few restaurants do it favor, the okra really needs to be fresh or it can get slimy or squishy. It's probably not something most people have access to, but if you ever get a chance to try it- do.

Now you made me drool all over the keyboard. Is that green chilli with the mix? I'm a sucker for recipes that include chilli and tastes crunchy.

Drink: Ocean Water from Sonic. I don't drink it for the taste though, I get it for the memories from when I was little and my Dad got them for me and my sister.

bUtv3CK.jpg

Food: Spaghetti and meatballs. My Mom makes a mean spaghetti and meatballs and she makes it everytime I visit. It's godly.

6r6QzJE.jpg

Fried okra is a southern USA recipe. It grows around the world, but you'll likely only see it fried in the U.S. I'm sure you could find recipes and do it yourself, though! Fair warning, though, it's one of those 'odd' foods that's a 'love it or hate it' kinda thing.

:D

Also, Rath, fried okra is also a common Indian dish. (although without the batter shown in your post)

I agree, it can get VERY slimy at times, though if made correctly it could be wonderful.

Also drummerjack, I recommend you try Chicken tikka for a true Indian experience!

Also drummerjack, I recommend you try Chicken tikka for a true Indian experience!

That's the one that actually got me into it! I make it a lot now; it's either spagbol (can't go wrong) or tikka masala for me for dinner most nights. A good recipe I found:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tikka-masala/

though it does have way too much salt in it and is pretty spicy for a novice like me. If you've got alternate recipes, do share! I'm always after a bit of experimentation.

giggity.

Nachos. Not the sort of nachos that are apparently popular in the world, where you squeeze a bit of vomit-looking processed cheese on nacho chips and microwave it. I mean something like this:

nachos.jpg

But that looks like vomit as well. But yeah seriously, eating proper nachos is amazing. Especially if you get a little bit of everything in one bite.

Nachos. Not the sort of nachos that are apparently popular in the world, where you squeeze a bit of vomit-looking processed cheese on nacho chips and microwave it. I mean something like this:

nachos.jpg

Mm, nachos + unprocessed cheese + cooked ground beef + tomato sauce.

Bake 15 minutes at 350F.

Add dollup of sour cream.

Consume.

Crave.

Eat.

Drink:

Karamalz ... it's basically what we would call "Kinder-beer" in germany but I somehow love it. I don't drink it very often, but when I do, it is awesome :o

Food:

Hard to say, but I'd probably settle with Kaiserschmarrn (you can eat it with vanilla ice cream):

l_847_1317796769.jpg

Archived