Zombie infection mechanics explained

ethanwdp

I think we'd rather not have it there for reasons that are already becoming clear I this thread, but at the end of the day it's up to you.

Finally, I'll leave you with this: I take resilient on all of my characters.

Well, then again, there never was an analysis here.

;)

Certainly, a trait descriptions update is a suggestion worth making formally, in the suggestions forum, if you've some example suggestions that'd be useful as well.

Remember the team is partially English, Canadian, American and French, so they're not always the best at english-language descriptions (Sorry RJ, you know I love you really)

Will do.

I think we'd rather not have it there for reasons that are already becoming clear I this thread, but at the end of the day it's up to you.

Finally, I'll leave you with this: I take resilient on all of my characters.

Slightly confuse, referring to exact mechanics revealed, or a little bit better description/explanation of how mechanics work? I mean I always did take resilient on all my characters as well, BUT, if it doesn't help prevent zombification from scratches, as this thread was indicating, then it is in fact a 100% useless trait, since outdoorsmen makes you immune to colds, and afaik it hasn't been updated to deal with non-zombie infections.

Anyways, I understand there are people who don't want traits to be fully explained, but I'm sure there are just as many who feel that slightly more accurate descriptions would be appreciated when planning out their characters. A happy middle ground exists for sure.

There may well be a middle ground, but that's one that I would hope would be in the developer's hands to find rather than have their hands forced by the community decompiling their code.

And to leave you with a question, do you think I'd take the resilient trait if it didn't do anything? I assure you, I know how it works. Just food for thought.

There may well be a middle ground, but that's one that I would hope would be in the developer's hands to find rather than have their hands forced by the community decompiling their code.

I didn't know how sacred these mysteries were, and I apologize. I've edited it out, and I will refrain from unravelling them in the future. Just like the lochness monster and aliens, it's better to have a shroud of mystery than none at all.

I didn't know how sacred these mysteries were, and I apologize. I've edited it out, and I will refrain from unravelling them in the future. Just like the lochness monster and aliens, it's better to have a shroud of mystery than none at all.

Thanks Ethan, it's a tough call -- even for us, as seen above. :D

So... Am I the only one who thinks that Dumbledore was Voldemorte the whole time?

Wait, we were talking about the bites, right? There's still a very well supported rumor that bleach heals zombification.

I'm serious though.

If you drink it your character will not turn after dying.

Somebody pls check that.

So... Am I the only one who thinks that Dumbledore was Voldemorte the whole time?

Wait, we were talking about the bites, right? There's still a very well supported rumor that bleach heals zombification.

I'm serious though.

If you drink it your character will not turn after dying.

Somebody pls check that.

Hang on, let me hack into Project Zomboid's source code.

RGyqADD.gif

Aand the answer iiiis

And to leave you with a question, do you think I'd take the resilient trait if it didn't do anything? I assure you, I know how it works. Just food for thought.

Sorry, but that really does seem to come off a bit as condescending. Unfortunately, I've yet to see any of the developers comment on better trait descriptions, even when I brought up the point several times when feedback was asked for traits. Again, its kinda hard for people to give accurate feedback when you may not even know if its working (like night owl) or what it exactly does (lucky is one of those traits that requires you to check the wiki or forums for what it actually does).

If your able to decompile and check the code so you can personally know what resilient does, then congratulations. But it shouldn't be assumed that everyone is capable of doing that, and I'm sure several people would like to at least have a bit more knowledge for how some traits work (again, exact numbers don't have to be revealed, but for example, if prone of illness meant you were more likely to catch zombification, regular infections, and/or colds, that would help evaluate it much more), and which ones are currently completely broken.

When the only source of information that we do get comes from somebody else decompiling the code, what else are we suppose to assume?

Sorry, but that really does seem to come off a bit as condescending. Unfortunately, I've yet to see any of the developers comment on better trait descriptions, even when I brought up the point several times when feedback was asked for traits. Again, its kinda hard for people to give accurate feedback when you may not even know if its working (like night owl) or what it exactly does (lucky is one of those traits that requires you to check the wiki or forums for what it actually does).

If your able to decompile and check the code so you can personally know what resilient does, then congratulations. But it shouldn't be assumed that everyone is capable of doing that, and I'm sure several people would like to at least have a bit more knowledge for how some traits work (again, exact numbers don't have to be revealed, but for example, if prone of illness meant you were more likely to catch zombification, regular infections, and/or colds, that would help evaluate it much more), and which ones are currently completely broken.

When the only source of information that we do get comes from somebody else decompiling the code, what else are we suppose to assume?

In what possible way could that post be construed as condescending? In what way do I make myself appear superior to anyone in that post?

Unfortunately, I've yet to see any of the developers comment on better trait descriptions, even when I brought up the point several times when feedback was asked for traits. Again, its kinda hard for people to give accurate feedback when you may not even know if its working (like night owl) or what it exactly does (lucky is one of those traits that requires you to check the wiki or forums for what it actually does).

There's a whole thread for trait feedback. Just because they haven't answered you personally doesn't mean they're not reading it, and they don't owe you anything.

Actually, I haven't decompiled the code at all. That's not something that's even in my skillset (though I could probably muddle through if pressed). I can just ask the people who wrote the code.

The point, though, is that in a singleplayer driven game, telling the player all exact information isn't necessary or even good game design. Having some stuff left a mystery is good, and drives better gameplay. You can figure out resilience by yourself, without ever touching the sauce code, if you put your mind to it. Clarity is super important for games that are designed to be competitive, but that is not the case with singleplayer games like Project Zomboid. Unraveling the mysteries makes the game less fun. TIS isn't catering to min/maxers, they're catering to people who want a deep, atmospheric zombie game. Is there room for improvement in the trait system? Certainly! But does that mean everyone should just know every possible thing about all the traits? No. That'd be terrible game design.

I'm trying to tell you in a circumspect way that resilient does do something. In return, you've accused me of being condescending. I think from now on, I won't even give any hints when you have questions. And if you have feedback about the game, maybe be respectful when people are trying to help you. Cheers.

The point, though, is that in a singleplayer driven game, telling the player all exact information isn't necessary or even good game design. Having some stuff left a mystery is good, and drives better gameplay. You can figure out resilience by yourself, without ever touching the sauce code, if you put your mind to it. Clarity is super important for games that are designed to be competitive, but that is not the case with singleplayer games like Project Zomboid. Unraveling the mysteries makes the game less fun. TIS isn't catering to min/maxers, they're catering to people who want a deep, atmospheric zombie game. Is there room for improvement in the trait system? Certainly! But does that mean everyone should just know every possible thing about all the traits? No. That'd be terrible game design.

I agree.

This leaves me to my question: would it be appropriate to upload my findings to the wiki, or to leave it a mystery?

If you say: "We don't want it to be public, period"  I am with you 100%

If you say this:

Having some stuff left a mystery is good, and drives better gameplay. You can figure out resilience by yourself, without ever touching the sauce code, if you put your mind to it.
But does that mean everyone should just know every possible thing about all the traits? No. That'd be terrible game design.

No way, not being a real explanation (not saying I want one) that applies to almost everything...

I don't want to speak for the devs directly, but I feel safe saying we'd rather they weren't public at all. However, like I said, we don't try to control the wiki content so at the end of the day it's the decision of the users whether they want to or not.

Maybe I'll ping one of the devs and see if they'll put an official word in here.

I would like to say that I am on the Beta build right now. Equipped sweater and pants on the Lumberjack. No additional traits. I have been scrached and was infected. I have used bandages to hold the infection off. Ran to the Pharmacy in KY. Grabbed everything that was there and started to disinfect real bandages and whatnot to try anything to hold off the infection and or get rid of it. So far my guy has lasted a couple days. The "infection" part of the wound is gone, but am Left scratched on my Chest. Left side over my heart. When the bandages have become "Dirty" I have stopped, found a hole/Building/w/e to change them. I will Report back with results.

Cross your fingers. I have a baseball bat which is my favorite weapon. Looking for nails and a hammer while tending to the wounds. The Zeds will go down with me.

If known problem persist, that will result in death, I will find pistol/shotgun and start blasting in blaze of glory.

TCO

I agree.

This leaves me to my question: would it be appropriate to upload my findings to the wiki, or to leave it a mystery?

I'd just leave the 100% death part out, Ethan. It's really the only sensitive portion.

I agree.

I'd just leave the 100% death part out, Ethan. It's really the only sensitive portion.

http://pzwiki.net/w/index.php?title=Zombie

Under the infection tab, there's already accurate percentages that match up perfectly with my original analysis. I checked the history and it was not added any time soon, and the text under the infection tab did state it was the current infection chances of Build 29. There's even a line for the formula that is performed on the scratchChance variable.

Like I said, we don't try to police the wiki. It's up to the users.

It's not a matter of whether or not moderators police the wiki, but more of a matter of it being appropriate to end all rumors and speculation at once

Think of Super Mario 64 and GTA San Andreas, both games were long lived due to mysteries (Luigi and Epsilon/Bigfoot/aliens/etc). Sometimes, it's better to not know the definitive answer.

Reporting Back. I am at 9 days and a couple of Hours. Have been tending wound. The Initial scratch on chest doesn't need bandages anymore. No sickness. I have found a fishing pole. Starting to think I need to soothe worry now with some time at the shore.

Will Report Back. Seems I have avoided... Changing.... To another form of Undead.

TCO