Disable eating 1/4 for food items

Sliderpro

IMO, having a (eat\drink) 1/4 of 1 portion for EVERY kind of food makes game way too easy in food management. Tiny food items, like berries shouldn't have such a thing as consuming 1/4 or even 1/2.   

I think that food like chips, berries and anything below 15 hunger - shouldn't have such an option as eating 1/4. Most of these items are very easy to find and having ability to eat 1/4 of 1 portion makes them..well, IMO, it makes them very powerfull, compared to items like soups.

Actually, I never relied on soups and cooking, because soups rot in several days, soup ingridients are (relatively) hard to get and rot fast and fishing, foraging and (arguable) scaveging gets alot better results in general (because of food items that never rot or give fish, which rots at the same speed, but reduces hunger significantly and is VERY easy to get)  

So I vote that ability to eat 1/4 of 1 portion of any (or at least some) food should be disabled. It would make the easy-to-get-items (like chips, violets, berries, etc) not so powerfull and so long-lasting. This will force player to actually look for food, because even with (I don't remember that trait) trait that makes you hunger fast - I didn't have any problems with food on lvl 1 fishing and lvl 2 foraging.

IMO, eating 1/4 should be privelege of high reducing hunger items, like melons, soups and fish

I belive, that a well-fed boost time could be increased proportionaly to balance such a change, so that extra hunger reduction won't go into nothing. 

I'd like to see what you think about this food balancing. Just don't say stuff like it would make life harder, it's not that hard already. 

I think it's problem with hunger/eating system in game which is completly broken and unbalanced.

Now you can eat it half berries in 1 day and it's enough because it doesn't matter if something give you -15 hunger or -1 hunger.

Character if hungry just need eat anything and it's enough (if you eat it at lowest hungry level).

There should be system that require your character to eat certain points of hunger every day or it character will be more and more hungry.

For example you need 40 points of hunger every day. Now character can live with eating half berries at day.

So it's problem with hunger/eating system not with this particular option.

I think there can be some food items that don't need the 1/4-1/2 option, but some of the foods you listed that may be easy to get (like chips) should still have the ability to eat 1/4-1/2 because it is more realistic.

I think how it currently is now is realistic, and if you were in the real apocolypse and let's say you only had a few cans left you would not just eat the full can each time you were hungry, you would eat a little of it to make it last longer.

Edit: OP, if you have tons of food now - why are you eating 1/4 then... why don't you eat the full food so the fed bonuses last longer. I think having the 1/4 is good as it is for those people that may be starting out and only have a handful of food.

I think it's problem with hunger/eating system in game which is completly broken and unbalanced.

Now you can eat it half berries in 1 day and it's enough because it doesn't matter if something give you -15 hunger or -1 hunger.

Character if hungry just need eat anything and it's enough (if you eat it at lowest hungry level).

There should be system that require your character to eat certain points of hunger every day or it character will be more and more hungry.

For example you need 40 points of hunger every day. Now character can live with eating half berries at day.

So it's problem with hunger/eating system not with this particular option.

Close what I'd like to see. 

maybe in health panel - thirst - very high\high\low\none and hunger - very high\high\low\none\well-fed\very well fed. Yeah, but thats not the point now.

Like I said - disable 1/4 not for ALL items, but for low-hunger items mostly. I have nothing against eating 1/4 of steak or 1/4 of watermelon. Mostly I mean eating berries as a whole without 1\2 and 1\4. Berries are very op as you can eat 1 BERRY 2-4 times and be just ok for a day or so. Same for other small items like bait fish. Seen them? They are tiny and you get, like, 6-10 of them with 1 fishing net trap and 2-3 hours. They should be eaten as a whole, maybe 1\2, but not 1\4 for sure. Etc etc etc..

I think there can be some food items that don't need the 1/4-1/2 option, but some of the foods you listed that may be easy to get (like chips) should still have the ability to eat 1/4-1/2 because it is more realistic.

I think how it currently is now is realistic, and if you were in the real apocolypse and let's say you only had a few cans left you would not just eat the full can each time you were hungry, you would eat a little of it to make it last longer.

Edit: OP, if you have tons of food now - why are you eating 1/4 then... why don't you eat the full food so the fed bonuses last longer. I think having the 1/4 is good as it is for those people that may be starting out and only have a handful of food.

The reason is simple - player can live without well fed boost just fine. Well fed, as of current build, is in 90% needed to 1) recover fast 2) open windows. 

And it lasts not so long. Basically, you can use, e.g. 1 apple to get a short well fed boost or you can use it to stay non-hungry for a day or so. Second way is more preferable to me. But thats off-topic

Well i just wanted to point out that it's not problem with option to eat 1/4 berries. It's problem with broken hunger/eating system so devs should fix whole system not remove some options in context menu.

Eating 1/4 berries would not be a problem if character would have to eat 40 points of hunger in 1 day anyway.

Well i just wanted to point out that it's not problem with option to eat 1/4 berries. It's problem with broken hunger/eating system so devs should fix whole system not remove some options in context menu.

Eating 1/4 berries would not be a problem if character would have to eat 40 points of hunger in 1 day anyway.

I think we can all agree that eating small quantities of food over the course of a day shouldn't effectively sate hunger . . .

And also agree that Sliderpro's suggestion isn't about that.

Well it's about that after all because now berrier are OP because of that broken hunger/eating system. If system will be fixed foods like berries will not be powerful etc so there will be no reason to remove eating 1/4 option to balance things out.

It's a good suggestion, disable 1/4 for the food that have less 5 hunger for example...

But remember that you can leave 3 weeks without eating irl :)

It depends if you drink water or not.

Also i think more realistic and logic eating/hunger system would be very nice.

Now character can eat 2 leaves from forest in 1 day and he is perfectly fine.

It depends if you drink water or not.

Also i think more realistic and logic eating/hunger system would be very nice.

Now character can eat 2 leaves from forest in 1 day and he is perfectly fine.

Sooooon...

Heya guys, I'm going to throw together a quick list of things that are commonly suggested and whether they've been mentioned by devs

Tentative Yes's

These things are things that either the devs have expressed interest in adding. 

[y]    Malnutrition