Let's make trapping worth the time.

Sickle

Trapping currently is useless because it requires fresh vegetables and other items, what you can't even farm.

These items are only fresh in the beggining of the game, when you will eat them and look for items, instead of camping in the wild.

So other than RP, players don't really have any reason to use the trapping skill.

Since trapping was introduced as an alternative for farming, it is a bit problematic to make it rely on farming to work.

The simplest solution is to allow rotten food to be used. Since this is trapping, that means the animal don't actually has to eat the bait, and rotten food can be a good bait to. Not to mention in real life lots of traps exist and are useful without a bait.

You could probably bait rats and stuff with rotten food but I doubt a rabbit would want 5 month old cabbage. Also probably eventually you'll be able to forage for wild vegetables and fruits.

It won't eat it, but it's smell will lure in into the trap. That's all you need. Watch some trapping videos. A snare trap don't even need baits just an animal to try passing through. Some hunters put trap on animal trails, and the animal trap itself.

Also it is not really relevant if rabbits want rotten food or not, because the problem is that trapping is useless, and doesn't worth the effort.

So using rotten food is maybe not the final solution, but worth thinking about.

----

Foraging for baits is a good idea however. It is logical that what food you can forage is the only food there, so animals have to eat it too, hence it will make a good bait.

Besides rabbits eat mostly grass.

What about putting a fistful of nice fresh grass into the trap, with proportionally decreased trapping chance (%) compared to carrots or other stuff.

Also wild rabbits generally can't access human made food, so there should be alternative baits.

Berries, fish, and other scavenge-ables cannot be used for trapping?

"Bait required for each type of animal:

• Rabbit Bait: Carrots, Apple, Lettuce, Bell Pepper, Cabbage, Corn, Banana, Potato, Tomato, Peach.
  • Squirrel Bait: Peanut Butter, Cereal, Peanuts, Apple, Corn, Popcorn, Lettuce, Bell Pepper, Peach.
  • Bird Bait: Bread, Bread Slices, Worm, Corn, Cereal.
  • Mouse Bait: Cheese, Processed Cheese, Peanut Butter, Bacon Bits, Chocolate, Orange, Apple, Tomato.
  • Rat Bait: Cheese, Peanut Butter, Bacon Bits, Chocolate, Orange, Apple, Tomato, Processed Cheese."

I have tried and you can't use berries. The only "renewable" resource you can use are worms for birds.

Also it is unlikely that rabbits will eat fish, if they are a wild and never encountered that kind of food source (their diet is almost 100% plants and grass, young tree barks).

I agree, in current state the traping is the worst way to find food. Fishing, foraging and farming are way faster and more reliable.

I did it only once when they released it.

Perhapse if we make trapping not only a way of getting food but also traps for zeds, npcs and other players it will be more usefull. Like bear traps, cans on wire to alarm you when something move nearby, spikes etc. This way getting food will be an addition to profession it will be worth it.

I must be the odd one out. I don't see any problems with trapping.

Mice/Rats are super easy to catch if you use peanut butter. Stick traps with worms are also super effective at catching birds. While peanut butter is not renewable, there is a lot of it on the map. Worms are super easy to farm with a trowel.

I haven't had any problems except using crate traps at a low trapping level.

Where are you placing your traps? My success rate with crate traps is near 0% when the trap is placed within view of my character. I find they need to be placed away from your characters normal view (outside your safe house area behind a tree or two).

Mice/Rats are super easy to catch if you use peanut butter. Stick traps with worms are also super effective at catching birds. While peanut butter is not renewable, there is a lot of it on the map. Worms are super easy to farm with a trowel.

Where are you placing your traps? My success rate with crate traps is near 0% when the trap is placed within view of my character. I find they need to be placed away from your characters normal view (outside your safe house area behind a tree or two).

But why to waste time to change non perishable peanut butter for a meat that will perish in a few days. If you look at trapping and fishing like what you need to start it, how fast you will get food and how much its like 3-0 for fishing. Yes you can get food from trapping but why when there are better ways ?

But why to waste time to change non perishable peanut butter for a meat that will perish in a few days. If you look at trapping and fishing like what you need to start it, how fast you will get food and how much its like 3-0 for fishing. Yes you can get food from trapping but why when there are better ways ?

Because I can put that perishable meat into a soup or stew that will ultimately grant a significantly better hunger/boredom/happiness boost.

I also do not think any single food source is meant to be completely self-sustaining. You can over fish an area and your crops and fishing will pretty much stop in the winter. I haven't yet had any problems with trapping in the winter. A lot of hungry animals out there.

Because I can put that perishable meat into a soup or stew that will ultimately grant a significantly better hunger/boredom/happiness boost.

I also do not think any single food source is meant to be completely self-sustaining. You can over fish an area and your crops and fishing will pretty much stop in the winter. I haven't yet had any problems with trapping in the winter. A lot of hungry animals out there.

Well yes, but in a new build you need to spend points to make trapping effective. I hope the point cost will make it worth. Oh and fishing in winter is doable. Not as good as at summer but you can feed yourself from it.

i don't see a REAL problem with trapping either. yes it is hard to do, just as it can be in real life.

no, it's not the perfect answer to keeping yourself fed. it's a survival game, the best answer to keeping yourself fed is to have as many options as possible that will increase the odds of having something to eat. so we trap, and fish, and garden, and loot. and we plan ahead by alternating the planting of the various veggies we can grow so there is always one that is nearly ready to harvest.

i look at the list above of the items we can use to catch rabbits. 4 of those are possible to grow in our gardens, and i make damn sure in my game to include an extra garden plot specifically for use in trapping. the 4 veggies are Carrots, Potatoes, Cabbage and Tomatoes. and yes, you CAN grow carrots if you plan out your garden the right way. the secret is in having a wooden walkway directly above the carrot patch. that lets you control the amount of water they get, whether it rains or not.

if you put in the effort, and actually think ahead, there is no reason at all that anyone should be complaining about trapping being broken. but you have to put in the effort first, and make a garden a priority in the first week so you have it going good when the power goes out.

Besides rabbits eat mostly grass.

What about putting a fistful of nice fresh grass into the trap, with proportionally decreased trapping chance (%) compared to carrots or other stuff.

Also wild rabbits generally can't access human made food, so there should be alternative baits.

I doubt we're thinking along the same lines, because that seems a little silly.  Let me just say how silly this seems to me.

"Ayy a grassy field, let me set up a trap here. I'll just pluck some of this fresh grass that's everywhere, and the rabbits will be drawn to this particular amount."  Why would they go for grass you place in a trap if it's literally everywhere around them?

I might've interpreted that differently than what you were saying, and if so, I apologize.

Trapping is mainly supposed to be something you tag on with your normal meals as I've found, and it makes for one of the few sources of food in the winter.  Rabbits are actually infamous for destroying cabbage crops, and I would love for there to be a feature to have to protect your crops.  They are definitely more inclined to eat that cabbage than the grass, as I've seen them at it.  For real life survival, and in-game survival, it's convenient to make a trail to follow, simply checking on your traps daily while also gathering food.  I'd also like to see an over-trapping of an area, IE you trap too much so they're less common to catch. 

TL;DR Cabbage works well for bait, and trapping should be something you tag on, rather than a focus.

trapping is the most rewarding feature for me (full course meal hehe), but if it get improve it bit, it will be so satisfying.

My first suggestion to improve trapping is letting us add bell or some sort of alerm. This way I don't have to run back and forth to check on all my 10 traps.

The shutting of the trap door sound when you're near the traps to indicate it was a success.  A ding ding ding sound mean your pray just escaped or vice versa.

Each trap has their own distinctive sounds for easy managaing.