TinnedEpic's Survival Guide - Contains traces of 'SPOILERS'

TinnedEpic

c6fw.png

An ongoing Survival Guide, by TinnedEpic.

Welcome! First thank you so very much for clicking on this thread and checking out my survival guide. Before I begin ranting on there are a few things I need to say:

<-------------------------------------------->

• Firstly, much of what I have written is subject to objection or differing opinions among players. All I can say to that is this are the tips and tactics I use to survive, this is how I personally play and for me it works. My way is not the only way. I am by no means closed minded either, I take all suggestions/advice onboard. If you wish to discuss/dispute/suggest content within this guide I highly encourage it. Sharing of strategies and ideas is exactly what a guide is all about. Chances are someone out there will have a better way of doing something and it's no good to anyone if they hold it back. (Unless they want to keep it a secret, in which case I have only one thing to say to that person... Grawr!)
  • Secondly, everything in this guide is subject to change. As I play I learn new things or I learn better techniques from watching/reading other people I may change or add things to the guide to make it better. Even as the game updates and adds more content/challenges/changes I will need to adjust the material accordingly. It's very much an evolutionary thing.
  • Thirdly, SPOILERS! HEAVY SPOILER ALERT! This guide will contain detailed information on project zomboid and how to survive. While it possibly may be helpful, it may also take the fun out of the game for you not begin able to experience it first-hand yourself. I implore you, only look up sections you are having trouble with. These guides are meant to help new players overcome challenges, however can routine aspects of the game. I encourage that new players who have been using this guide after a while should break away from it and try new things constantly and even take risks you normally wouldn’t take. THIS IS YOUR FIRST WARNING, If you do not want aspects of the game ruined for you I encourage you do not read them.
  • Fourthly, while English is my first and only language, I suck at it... If you find spelling or punctuation errors please point them out (I have proof read it, however I'm not willing to trust myself to pick up on every mistake).

If you're new, welcome to the game! Keep in mind this guide may contain spoilers so if you want a genuine experience I highly recommend you play the game first and then come back to this thread if you’re having trouble. Otherwise I'll try and explain things as in-depth and clearly as I can, I hope you find this helpful.

If you're un-new, welcome anyways... Hope you enjoy the guide :D. If you want to discuss/question/debate content feel free to. I hope you find this helpful and enjoyable.

5sqw.jpg

View PDF here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utzc1hb5py6ti9k/Epic%20Survival%20Guide%20Version%201_1.pdf

Download for iPad and eReader Browsers here (.epub file):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l94ymwx6042algz/Epic%20Survival%20Guide%20Version%201_1.epub

EreWeGo's "Unofficial PZ Manual"

If your looking for another, slightly less spoiler filled guide I recommend EreWeGo's Guide to Project Zomboid. The similarities of our guides are notable however purely coincidence. Just go's to show great minds think alike. Anyways if you want a more technical run down than an opinion piece (like my own) of Project Zomboid I suggest checking this out over my own:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/51-unofficial-pz-manual/

Just letting you know now, the reason I made this guide was because I felt like giving something like this a go. I am not by means an 'expert' but I do consider myself experienced. I do sincerely hope that this helps people grow and learn from what I suggest and thus allow them to prolong their inevitable death. If you want me to link your guide in my post I will be most happy to do so. Sharing is caring ;).

This guide took 4 weeks to complete and consists roughly on 10,900ish words. Kudos if you read it all.

Lol if only I was new to this grammar thing that might make a bit more sense. >.< thanx

Sorry, I couldn't help myself when I saw it :P

On topic, the guide is looking pretty damn fine. Good effort there! (I won't go digging through the whole thing looking for grammatical errors, I'll leave that to someone like EnigmaGrey)

You're = You Are. "You're new to this grammar thing"

Your = Belongs to you. "Your trousers smell bad"

"You're going to learn to use the correct 'your' in your headings"

Or, you could read it like a survival guide from a kid that has grown up IN the zombie life from a young age so grammar would not be part of his vocabulary anyway. 

I like it. :)

Yes, well done.

It has good points and descriptions in it. I'm also no nativ english speaker - i read some parts where i may chose some other words or the words which are used in pz (blinds = curtains)- but thats not necessary at all.

Also a cool feature with this epup file stuff. Now the guide appears as a book in my library =)

Lol if only I was new to this grammar thing that might make a bit more sense. >.< thanx

On topic, the guide is looking pretty damn fine. Good effort there! (I won't go digging through the whole thing looking for grammatical errors, I'll leave that to someone like EnigmaGrey)

*Equips the Red Pen of Shame*

What Moira doesn't know doesn't hurt her ;).

Yay! This is great stuff :D

Thank you Lemmy, and thank you Leo :D.

Yes, well done.

It has good points and descriptions in it. I'm also no nativ english speaker - i read some parts where i may chose some other words or the words which are used in pz (blinds = curtains)- but thats not necessary at all.

Also a cool feature with this epup file stuff. Now the guide appears as a book in my library =)

Ahh yeah, didn't consider that. Australians call curtains, blinds. Something I did overlook, I can change it if it's too confusing.

*Equips the Red Pen of Shame*

Noooooo, Enigma be kind to me. :cry:

Here have a Kirby hug (>^o^)>

Yes, well done.

Ahh yeah, didn't consider that. Australians call curtains, blinds. Something I did overlook, I can change it if it's too confusing.

Don't worry, it's good to read and understand anyway - only a suggestion. i think it's better to identify/connect to the world of pz when the words you chose match to the background in pz.

Well done, nice graphics. A very straight forward and by-the-numbers breakdown of survival. Even after playing Zomboid for about a year I enjoyed it very much.

One minor grammar thing, since you asked in 'fourthly': I see you improperly use their instead of they're in numerous places in the guide.

Their: Plural possessive-- Mom and Dad went to their room.

They're: Contraction of they and are-- Do not rip sheets at this early stage, as they're too valuable.

Keep it up. :)

Just a question but for some reason rain still affects my character even though they are a park ranger or is it the debuffs the rain give you have no effect?

I think you still get wet, but it doesn't bother you. I'm not sure if you can get sick from it (not sure if anything other than zombie and food poisoning sickness is in yet)

Just a question but for some reason rain still affects my character even though they are a park ranger or is it the debuffs the rain give you have no effect?

I think you still get wet, but it doesn't bother you. I'm not sure if you can get sick from it (not sure if anything other than zombie and food poisoning sickness is in yet)

You can catch a cold from the rain I don't know if that happens to park rangers.

Americans call them blinds AND curtains. It's a matter of where you're from and personal preference in terms.

You can catch a cold from the rain I don't know if that happens to park rangers.

Since illness associated with rain is not implemented yet I can't be 100% sure but as I understand it park rangers are more immune to getting sick from begin extremely wet for prolonged periods of time. Their also more resilient to hot and cold temperatures.

Just to throw in, since I've had a lot of time to watch youtubes while i'm away from my computer.. so I think it's a good time to compile some of my notes:

1. Don't Fight, Don't Run, Don't Risk it

Something people on the video scene seem to be doing right. They spend most of their time doing very well to not pop off zombies of opportunity. In fact, the more they avoid gaggles, the better their survivability. Running while in the commercial strip or outskirts is usually a pretty poor idea as well, as it attracts significant attention. Something I often fail at, resulting in very, very short lifespans where I think "I've got a spoon, I can take 1 or 2 on in a trailer bathroom..." <You survived for 4 hours>

2. Linens'n'Things

Okay, what is the preoccupation with hoarding sheets? They're useful, yes, but I don't see the point in carrying more than 4. If you've got to cover more than 4 windows, you're likely in a REALLY bad place to camp. Same with bandages. Tearing one apart for bandages yields 8 bandages. I have to tell you something.. if you need 8 bandages you are infected; unless you jumped out a window overlooking a cliff. You can probably easily keep half of them in a stash to save carrying space.

3. I Cut, I Saw, I Hammered

There's a pretty solid laundry list of 'must haves' to endure a long run, but I really can't say that there's much alternative to long-term play than accessing carpentry tools early. Living as a burgle-happy vagrant living off raw ramen and chips is a sure way to die, so pursuing tools is best done earlier rather than later.

4. Open a Window

If you've cleared out a house, it might be a good idea to open all the doors and windows so that migrating zombies don't break stuff, especially if you want to come back later and secure it.

5. We reBuilt This City On Boards and Nails

Having one home-base seems to be a bad idea, as the 'GM' seems to silently migrate hordes on top of your location after a couple nights. You'll want a periphery home to set up as 'home base' for farming/cooking/being sick, but also establish safe-houses and water barrels throughout town so you can hole up safely for a night while you look for ammunition, nails, and general mayhem. This also forces the GM to migrate hordes away from your strawberries.

6. Learn to Cook

Eating out is a losing battle. Eating fruits straight-off is usually a great idea, since they aren't used in recipes and will just go bad. Soups should be your ideal mainstay in the long run, as this can generally double the hunger-allieviating effectiveness of the ingredients. You're going to want regular access to a stove or microwave early, and make plans for building and shielding a campfire after the power goes off. I wonder if those fires can be set indoors...

7. Water Works

I've seen a lot of 'Lets Players' running around grabbing every mug, bottle, bowl, and pot and filling them up with water and stashing them. This, to be honest, is a pretty severe waste of carrying capacity in general. You should probably only need 1 mug, 4 bowls, 1 pot (although I'd get all I can find for storing soup), and a single can opener. Why, you ask? Those wonderful rain barrels. It doesn't take much (four nails, four boards), since you did remember to hunt down a hammer and nails, to build a couple rain barrels outside, and more throughout the city to refill your water bottles.

8. The Early Must Grabs

Survival:

1x Best melee weapon you can find. Leave ammo and guns for later.

1-2x Backpack, Duffel bag, or hiking bag

1x Lighter

4x Sheets

4x Bandages (shred some clothes and drop half)

1x Flashlight (for when you're dead tired and can't find your bed)

Food:

1x Can Opener

1x Kitchen Knife (For slicing watermelon, until they all go bad)

Any perishable food, preferably fruits

2x Orange Soda or water bottles (One on hand, one in a bag)

Leave non-perishables. They'll be there when you come back

4x Bowls (empty)

1x Cooking Pot (empty)

1x Frying Pan

1x Mug (empty)

Safehousing:

1x Hammer

10x Nails

4x Planks (for boarding safehouses or building a random rain collector)

Health:

1x Pen (to craft a journal)

1x Notepad (to craft a journal)

1x Sweater

1x Sleeping Pills (Pain pills are too rare)

9. Warehouse Stock

If you get a clean break-in to a warehouse, take the time to organize all the contents into a few, easily located crates for later. This can save you a ton of time looking for things you left behind like sledgehammers, nails, weapons, and ammo.