Chains

Gingerdick

As a non-rigid blunt weapon it would be one of the less effective tools at dispatching zombies, although probably slightly more effective on survivors. It's also not that easy to use chain as a weapon... it's awkward and most of the time you end up hitting yourself if you swing with enough force to do any damage. As much as back alley gangs want you to think a chain is a weapon, it's really not.

As a non-rigid blunt weapon it would be one of the less effective tools at dispatching zombies

I agree. It would be a poor choice of weapon against zombies. With a heavy chain, a good blow could cause a zombie to fall over, but you'd have to flail at him far ages to bash its brains out.

Also, chains could swing wildly, jangle like crazy with every swing (and even when just carried), wrap around a zombie's limb and let it pull you in for a bite, take a long time between swings and exhaust you quickly, hurt you when handled incorrectly etc.

Given all that, you could mod it into the game and suffer through a biker role play session, I suppose :)

I'd use duct tape on the chain so that it wouldn't hurt my fingers... (same as with children's swings). and then tie something heavy and edged to the end to make it a flail. It would probably break pretty quick but it would definitely be a skull crusher, but you'd still have the chain after breaking.

I think it wouldn't be an effective weapon on its own though and would be hard to hit accurately.

I am thinking that it`s really annoying when your metal weapon like crowbar so easy to break. This is no OP to make stuffs more durable. Seriously did you try to bend a crowbar in real life and what about to break it? If we talking about realistic let`s make it so.

I agree on the crowbar and also mainly there's something lacking in the durability system, but the fact of the matter is that if you had an indestructible weapon that deals moderate to high damage it would be OP. And as me and others said it's more to do with the damage (you are unlikely to hit the skull in a skull crushing way). The game is alpha and still needs balancing. But now we can just sit back n' relax 'til kinyoshi brings out his chain mod ;).

I am thinking that it`s really annoying when your metal weapon like crowbar so easy to break. This is no OP to make stuffs more durable. Seriously did you try to bend a crowbar in real life and what about to break it? If we talking about realistic let`s make it so.

We never talk about total realism ... we talk about [realism - (realism/fun*playability)].

Yes Crowbars would probably be hard to break... but where is the fun in finding a weapon and keeping it for the rest of the game.

Also if you want to make your chain to do better dmg put someting heavy (like padlock) on it. And what about to add "Destroy" action without using a sledgehammer for some small stuffs like chairs. Сhair leg it`s much better then butter knife at the begining.

I am thinking that it`s really annoying when your metal weapon like crowbar so easy to break. This is no OP to make stuffs more durable. Seriously did you try to bend a crowbar in real life and what about to break it? If we talking about realistic let`s make it so.

We never talk about total realism ... we talk about [realism - (realism/fun*playability)].

Yes Crowbars would probably be hard to break... but where is the fun in finding a weapon and keeping it for the rest of the game.

Personally i prefer to use niled plank coz of it range especially effective to kill crawlers. Small dmg it`s a price of your safety. This piece of wood will break pretty fast but who care`s there is a planty trees in the game. But crowbars ... maybe better to make them more rare items and more durable ?

I've always thought of weapon degradation in this game as "stuff becoming less and less useful as a weapon through excessive use". With the exception of the wooden weapons, most of the things you swing at the zombies probably wouldn't break as such, but they would become duller, chipped, caked in giblets, or simply get stuck in a zombie at an unfortunate moment. You can think of this as the reason why weapons don't last forever.

It also kind of explains why you can use hammers and axes for their "civilian purpose" hammering nails and chopping wood) indefinitely, but you can break them bashing in doors, windows and zombie heads. It's not a perfect simulation of item degradation, but I think it's sort of realistic and makes the game more interesting.

With the exception of the wooden weapons, most of the things you swing at the zombies probably wouldn't break as such, but they would become duller, chipped, caked in giblets, or simply get stuck in a zombie at an unfortunate moment.

I am loosing your logic. How is it possible to stuck with metal stuff faster (or at all) than you`ll stuck with nailed wooden bat and why you should stuck anywhere? 

With the exception of the wooden weapons, most of the things you swing at the zombies probably wouldn't break as such, but they would become duller, chipped, caked in giblets, or simply get stuck in a zombie at an unfortunate moment.

I am loosing your logic. How is it possible to stuck with metal stuff faster (or at all) than you`ll stuck with nailed wooden bat and why you should stuck anywhere? 

Anything sharp or pointy you hit a zombie with could get stuck. They are made of mostly rotting flesh and bones. Anything that can go deep enough into them to kill can also get stuck on something complex and bony (e.g. ribcage) at an unfortunate swing. A spiked bat might be less likely to stick than an axe or curved blade, simply because the nails that penetrate are thin, straight, sharp and short, creating less friction and less of a chance for a snag after entry. But yes, these weapons could also get stuck, in addition to breaking.

The best weapon would probably be a long, thin, straight blade that you can put a lot of force behind, while staying a safe distance from the clawing hands (e.g. a lightweight, sharpened pitchfork).

My point is: even weapons made of metal wouldn't last forever.

What kinda chains we talking about? The chains that come to my mind in particular are logging chains... (my dad used them a lot to secure his loads when he drove flatbed) we have a few so if I REALLY needed a weapon I would use one of those. Would be pretty bad at actually killing a zombie, but who's to say you can't use the chain to break a jaw or even a neck? Once the spinal cord is cut the brain can't send commands to the nervous system, essential rendering the victim dead more or less.... They're also really freakin heavy... Would be endlessly useful for securing things, like doors, though....

Log chains are actually so heavy they would be impossible to use as a weapon. I sell/move log chains on a daily basis at work, and the real ones are probably close to 75 lbs. (the short ones, that is).

To shamelessly plug my own thread, on the subject of durability (hey, it's on subject) check out my Item Damage Overhaul section in:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1144-the-future-of-pz/