Money to burn

tosayu

I mean the title quite literally. It would be really cool to be able to find money in increments of, $1, $5, $10, $50, $100, and maybe the super rare $2.

They stack according to amount and weigh almost nothing, BUT you can use 10 bills of any combination to make kindling to start fires.

A cool end of the world scenario would be to show how useless money has become.  There would be nothing more sad to drive home this apocalypse then to be sitting around a firepit you started by burning 10 twenty dollar bills ($200) and eating dog food. 

It would be a nice flare to highlight the breakdown of society and add to the general mood.

It would also give you something to put in the Bank vault with all the file cabinets, registers in restaurants, and in smaller amounts on zombies and in houses.  If you ever do steam achievements you could totally do a chain of achievements for how much money you either collected or destroyed.

In a pen&paper RPG we played, which also had a Zomboid- and DayZ-esque zombiesetting, the DM would haveten add money otherwise known as toiletpaper  to the stuff the players would find, because it has no real value.

I agree that burning money would highlight breakdown of society, but to start a fire with some paper one could have course use books, magazines or newspaper...

I'm not against this idea, since it's a nice touch to the setting IMO, but it's more or less cosmetical i guess

I agree that burning money would highlight breakdown of society, but to start a fire with some paper one could have course use books, magazines or newspaper...

I'm not against this idea, since it's a nice touch to the setting IMO, but it's more or less cosmetical i guess

Totally. It is not a new mechanic. I would just be cosmetic. It would flesh out the world and show the breakdown of society like the pen and paper rpg you played. 

We can already use paper and wood to make a campfire, why not money and wood?  I got the idea after raiding the Knox Bank and realizing there was only paper and magazines in all the vaults. I realized I missed seeing money in the game.

Eh.... You also have magazines and paper. Adding money doesn't really add that much to the game I feel. And do you really want a currency (even a fiat one) working in multiplayer?

I get what your are saying; I am not a fan of clutter. It is interesting to me to see how people would view this. I kinda think that since we have so much variety in our basics activities (ie soups and stews), I think it would contribute to the mood. There is a risk of clutter that could ruin the experience.

I definitely don't want to see trading with money implemented.  That is too different and would be antithetical to why I like my idea.

Money could also be used with NPCs maybe? Even after the break down of the economy there still would be people trying to get money. You could possibly buy stuff off of certain NPCs.

I really don't like the idea of trading with NPCs.  Maybe in multiplayer if they implement factions (a system where you could belong to a group that doesn't hurt each other when the pvp flag is on) currency for bartering might organically happen...but...meh.

Depending on the NPC AI, it would be cool to see NPCs who can't accept that "this" has happened and have gone a little crazy.  If there is some type of "fetch quest" for rewards or positive relationship influence, then it would be cool to have that NPC want money for his help/item---not because you are in a game that has trading but because you are working with a half mad NPC who still thinks currency matters.

---

Speaking of clutter and possibly stacks of money, I really hope that the devs put in a "move stack option" in working with smaller items in containers.  Right now when working with small items like seeds and ammo, you can only take one at a time, half, or the whole lot.  It takes forever to count out the items (the animation).

I would like a new option that is "move stack."  You could then type in how many you want to take or deposit and it moves them all at the same time.  You could extend how long that single animation takes versus moving just one item, but it should take significantly less time then seeing them move one at a time.

If I am grabbing all 124 of my cabbage seeds, it shouldn't take longer then grabbing an axe.  I never really want to grab all 124, or even 62, seeds. I would like to just grab maybe 18 and not have to count them all one at a time.

Money could also be used with NPCs maybe? Even after the break down of the economy there still would be people trying to get money. You could possibly buy stuff off of certain NPCs.

Bullets would be the new economy. When the whole world (theoretically) collapses, no one but complete lunatics would be trying to get a hold of money. Assuming the infection takes over everything, then the federal reserve is gone. Its d-day, someone offers me 100 bucks for a ride or 30 rounds of 9mm, I'm taking the bullets. The economy will keep going same as it does in a society, even a collapsed one, but no one is going to recognize the US dollar as having any value at all. The people with the guns will eat the people with money.

Adding money would destroy this game

Bullets would be the new economy. When the whole world (theoretically) collapses, no one but complete lunatics would be trying to get a hold of money. Assuming the infection takes over everything, then the federal reserve is gone. Its d-day, someone offers me 100 bucks for a ride or 30 rounds of 9mm, I'm taking the bullets. The economy will keep going same as it does in a society, even a collapsed one, but no one is going to recognize the US dollar as having any value at all. The people with the guns will eat the people with money.

I agree partially. Money has been a very big aspect of everyones life in the western world, even as kids you need money to buy sweets. as an adult you need money to buy gas and food and a car, you work 40-50h a week to get money to support your life. clearly as soon as a crisis hits, no one would start burining money... after a while, sure it looses quite the value since no one is doing squat for money it loses its value completely... however, money is in our head and there will still be people who grab money, wnat money, take money... and I personally don't see this destroying the game. since its more or less cosmetical and even functional

Money to burn is a great idea!  Considering the state of the world, money would have definitely lost its meaning.  It is something simple to add, would give a reason for wallets on zombies, and would be a nice filler for the bank.  Sure you can burn other things, but this wouldn't be about not having something to burn.  The symbolism this would provide would add a lot to immersion, without being hard at all to implement.

To keep things simple it could just be a 'Stack of Money', and you wouldn't need to worry about separate bills or what kind of money it is. (keeping it vague would help those who don't use USD, etc. from losing immersion.)

Money to burn is a great idea!  Considering the state of the world, money would have definitely lost its meaning.  It is something simple to add, would give a reason for wallets on zombies, and would be a nice filler for the bank.  Sure you can burn other things, but this wouldn't be about not having something to burn.  The symbolism this would provide would add a lot to immersion, without being hard at all to implement.

To keep things simple it could just be a 'Stack of Money', and you wouldn't need to worry about separate bills or what kind of money it is. (keeping it vague would help those who don't use USD, etc. from losing immersion.)

I agree, since its primarily a cosmetic suggestion, a "Stack of Money" would be easiest to add to the game. Also it would make it harder to use as a currency. Besides I know I will be trading in bullets not on cash anyhow.

I agree, since its primarily a cosmetic suggestion, a "Stack of Money" would be easiest to add to the game. Also it would make it harder to use as a currency. Besides I know I will be trading in bullets not on cash anyhow.

this could potentially add some function to the wallet... either you have a stack of cash in your inventory or a wallet where all the paper money goes. could also host some slots for keycards if such a thing will ever be used or needed in this game... but carrying a wallet in a zombie apocalype is a weird thing I guess... but I always feel strange not having my wallet in the backpocket

IDEA: Make paper machie sculptures from money and glue to relieve boredom :P

Seriously though, adding money brings more stuff to the world, because of the infrastructure used to support money, rather than the money itself. What am I getting at? Safes. Armoured cars. Sacks of money and little ziplock bags full of coins.

Think about it. You come across a wrecked armoured car. There are bags and bags of money inside, along with the corpses of the two guards who used to work with the truck. You've now got access to firearms, a trolley for moving loads, very durable bags for moving the cash around, and a bunch of high-end electronics (radio and GPS equipment). Hell, if you could get the car up and running, you've got the next best thing to a tank.

On the other end of the scale, you could find a few little bags of coins at a looted shop. Small plastic ziplock bags have to be of some use in a survival situation, but the coins themselves... Punch a hole in one, thread a line through it, and you've got a perfect weight for fishing. Fill a sock with coins and you could knock an NPC out with a crack to the skull. Hell, whip up a board and enough coins of different denominations, and you could play a game of checkers or chess.

Finally, if you want to go full-on bandit king, you could always make yourself a throne (or various other bits of furniture) with pallets of cash. Sure, it's worth nothing after the zombies start roaming, but the fact that you've got the influence, power and resources to move large amounts of useless paper over significant distances means you're not to be trifled with. Or are insane. Or both.

Hell, given Fort Knox IS in the area, just being able to retrieve a bar of gold would result in bragging rights, both in-character and out. Plus, there's a certain satisfaction to be had in bashing a skull open with a brick of it :P

sounds good! not that you implied that or anything, but gold will always be gold - and will still be valued, papermoney is just paper from then on if the society and structures of the system go down the drain. but yes coins and paper can be used for various things, I was immediately thinking of this beige cotton bags with the dollar / pound / euro sign on them which would be perfect for weights,lets say for a bridge, a zombie or animal trap

Let me just reply to this saying that ammo is a horrible substitute for money, it is irreplaceable and expendable, it certainly would not just become the 'new economy', what bullets will be is just another item you can barter with. A bullet has no value to me since shooting is foolish, it may have value to another, but forcing me or other people to use it would be even more ludicrous than using pre-apocalyptic money. At least with money the reason people would cling onto it is obvious, because they are unsure of the value it may well still have in parts unknown.

I contend very firmly that the economy will decay into a bartering one, not a structured one where one particular item or token is magically decided upon by everyone. It would be more like trading cabbages for nails, or a gun for ten planks, a bag for a fishing rod, item A for item B.

EDIT:

Also come to think of it, money would still have practical uses as tender even after the world ended, as long as power is on, the only way to get food or drink from a vending machine would be to PAY for it, that or you have to crowbar/beat the machine open. Robots don't give a damn about the state of the world economy, they just use money to trigger a certain response. Same goes for some bathroom doors, they would need a coin to open.

Edited by Viceroy

Let me just reply to this saying that ammo is a horrible substitute for money, it is irreplaceable and expendable, it certainly would not just become the 'new economy', what bullets will be is just another item you can barter with. A bullet has no value to me since shooting is foolish, it may have value to another, but forcing me or other people to use it would be even more ludicrous than using pre-apocalyptic money. At least with money the reason people would cling onto it is obvious, because they are unsure of the value it may well still have in parts unknown.

I contend very firmly that the economy will decay into a bartering one, not a structured one where one particular item or token is magically decided upon by everyone. It would be more like trading cabbages for nails, or a gun for ten planks, a bag for a fishing rod, item A for item B.

EDIT:

Also come to think of it, money would still have practical uses as tender even after the world ended, as long as power is on, the only way to get food or drink from a vending machine would be to PAY for it, that or you have to crowbar/beat the machine open. Robots don't give a damn about the state of the world economy, they just use money to trigger a certain response. Same goes for some bathroom doors, they would need a coin to open.

Whatever is rare will be currency.  Could be bullets, could be food, but money would vanish.  We affix value to money in a system where there are laws and law enforcement.  Of course if society was re-established money could have value, but I doubt it.  As far as vending machines, those will be broke open in no time.

Yes if you or someone else breaks them open they will be broken open, until then? And as Apollo said, a fist full of change in a sock strikes a heavy blow, albeit a noisy one. These are merely examples of secondary uses money could have, wanna distract zombies away while you loot the other rooms? Why not pop a few coins into one of those 'vibro-beds' that motels love to use in tv shows and let it amuse Ted the corpsified custodian.

The point is that not only can it be a good thing to add in terms of filler and atmosphere, it also has some novel uses that would escape the average looter the first time around. These suggestions are all made in the spirit of improving the game and I believe it would do so in all honesty.

Im not sure what evil place has bathrooms where you need to pay  to use, but I know a state such Kentucky would never have pay to use bathrooms.

Fun Answer: That would be the Shit Creek Motel.

Serious Answer: That would be South Africa.

More Serious Answer: I find it hard to believe that there are no public toilets in the entire state of KY that require a minimalist fee to enter, it is a very good way to keep vandals out. I know for a fact it is a common practice in Europe and in Africa. Although there is probably some moral outrage or court ruling or something in America's case that changed this or at least affected it somehow. If (any of) you know anything about this do feel free to share it.

Even More Serious Answer: Such an excellent example of a mustache is fit for a Prussian Hussar.

Fun sidenote, I have seen a monkey use a two Rand coin (Well more like tried a bunch of coins until it found the right one)  to open a restroom. It was in St. Lucia on the East Coast of South Africa, they also stole roll-on for some reason.

Here is an awnser to your pay to use the restroom question: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-347927.html

Also my profile pic is US Admrial Burnside, alive during the civil war.

My grandfather himself was a navy man, I can respect that. Any particular affinity to Admiral Burnside? No offence intended but I must say as South African I do not really know American Civil War heroes all that well. Though certainly in such a vast struggle many names sadly become forgotten. Forgive me for I simply must ask.

• 2 weeks later...