[Spoilers] The Walking Dead and terrible decisions

Rikashey

Really The Walking Dead isn't necessarily down to a point of zombie survival, but more of the bigger issues, social problems, and the way society breaks down. It isn't about them finding ammo, food, or keeping survival, but developing characters and stories.

This pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

It's a TV show, and it's supposed to appeal to as many people as possible, not just serious zombie fans. and it's done a very good job of appealing to people that would probably normally never watch a show with zombies in it.  Now take us, people that like zombie games, especially detailed ones like PZ, and the situation gets even worse.  Of course we want to see all that detail on how things happen, and we want to see how they survive and such, because we enjoy that stuff, that's why we like to do it in games.

I would love to see all that stuff but it just isn't going to happen.  I like that there is a zombie show on TV, and it didn't get canceled after half an episode :), so I guess I just accept it.

Whilst I think it was a good read I think the part about the Battle of Yonkers was really quite silly.

Only some kinda total moronic butthead would fight that battle like it was fought. Also USA has enough planes to ensure an almost continuous stream of planes dropping napalm. Why wasn't this done?

The assumption in that chapter is that "They didn't think it would be necessary -- they were just that awesome."

The Hubris of the US Military.

Why does everyone hate Laury?

I'm at the part where she dies and I still don't see what she did wrong to angry people.

The main problem is she is a poorly written character. The writers use her as a tool to initiate drama or tension, when there's no course for it. Her motivations, actions and feelings are usually devoid of consistency. She's just there as a tool for writers and that's about it.

The big one that people like to harp on about the most is the Shane, Carl, Lori (:Pdynamic. Where she was kind of pushing Rick about taking care of Shane maybe even killing him, then when he does and admits it, she acts all shocked and "Oh god how could you!" kind of thing.

Really I think she was just a victim of poor writing and Season 2 did it's fair share to absolutely destroy the series and it's characters.

"Oh God, how could you [come back from the dead], Rick? Didn't you know I have a life now?! Now, shut up and kiss me, then be a father!"

"Hey Shane, thanks for making a hard choice that ultimately benefited me and my son that if you hadn't lied to me would be dead right now, but fuck you for doing the right thing, I'm going to shut you out of my life with absolutely no consequences!"

"Oh God, how could you [come back from the dead], Rick? Didn't you know I have a life now?! Now, shut up and kiss me, then be a father!"

She didn't hate Rick for coming back. As soon as he got back she stayed true to him and never once went back to Shane. I don't remember anytime at all where she says anything like what you quoted. She stayed with Rick right up to the end and never cheated on him. She was there for him the entire show. And news of the baby happened well after Rick had been back and with her for sometime course it's his baby.

"Hey Shane, thanks for making a hard choice that ultimately benefited me and my son that if you hadn't lied to me would be dead right now, but fuck you for doing the right thing, I'm going to shut you out of my life with absolutely no consequences!"

What was she supposed to do? The only reason she was with Shane was because she thought Rick was dead. Shane told her that Rick was dead. When Rick appears she goes back to her husband which is the right thing to do. What was she supposed to do, stay with Shane even though her husband is back and alive? Shane didn't get the message that they can no longer be together and kept pushing himself on her. She had to block out Shane because that's the only right thing to do. Shane becomes just another person in her group.

Yes. I was quoting her verbatim above. You'll find it in the third episode -- the complete phrase.

Spoiler
:-|

She teased Shane quite a bit in the early episodes, finally leading to a confrontation between Shane and herself in the bunker (and no, that doesn't excuse Shane getting grabby in any way). It was a pretty big thing during the intial run -- will they, won't they, who will they be re: love triangle, and who will kill the other first: Shane or Rick?

Carl is the baby in the above sardonic condensation of dialog.

She didn't hate Rick for coming back. As soon as he got back she stayed true to him and never once went back to Shane. I don't remember anytime at all where she says anything like what you quoted. She stayed with Rick right up to the end and never cheated on him. She was there for him the entire show. And news of the baby happened well after Rick had been back and with her for sometime course it's his baby.

What was she supposed to do? The only reason she was with Shane was because she thought Rick was dead. Shane told her that Rick was dead. When Rick appears she goes back to her husband which is the right thing to do. What was she supposed to do, stay with Shane even though her husband is back and alive? Shane didn't get the message that they can no longer be together and kept pushing himself on her. She had to block out Shane because that's the only right thing to do. Shane becomes just another person in her group.

Be a little bit thankful? The guy saved her life if he hadn't of done what he did. Ignoring that, I'm not asking her to go back to Shane, but jesus girl. Don't just dump him like a bad habit and act as if he's some sort of scum. That's not going to end well for anyone involved. It's like really, if everybody had sat down and actually talked about it maybe it would have led somewhere productive or resolved the issue, or at least done it a bit better.

No, instead it's done for plot convenience and to create drama. They could have developed Lori and made her into a fleshed out character, rather than this event starter.

The comic handled the issue of the love triangle very poorly as well, since it was all done rather quickly and brushed under the rug (kind of) but Lori as a character in the comics I didn't hate all that much. She was a bit developed and had pretty clear motivations, reactions etc. I just don't think she's any good in the TV show.

Sorry, if I could man a tank, I wouldn't be overrun by zombies. Tanks have tracks, can go and reverse + fire simultaneously, and they have this crazy thing called a fuel gauge. Only an idiot would stay stationary, and not retreat when their fuel gets moderately low.

Sorry, if I could man a tank, I wouldn't be overrun by zombies. Tanks have tracks, can go and reverse + fire simultaneously, and they have this crazy thing called a fuel gauge. Only an idiot would stay stationary, and not retreat when their fuel gets moderately low.

They can also be relatively slow, loud and hard to maneuver in a street, they make an awful lot of sound that a conga line of zombies would be following and more coming from all around you since the sound is basically a dinner bell. Some time you'll run out of fuel, and all the zeds will be walking to the location of the last noise, so good luck getting out. :P

They can also be relatively slow, loud and hard to maneuver in a street, they make an awful lot of sound that a conga line of zombies would be following and more coming from all around you since the sound is basically a dinner bell.

To be fair, the same can be said for any vehicle with an engine. Your perhaps right on the difficulty to maneuver, but if your in a tank... that doesn't matter as much.

Regards to the misconception of Tank=Slow, well, no, their not. They are quite fast actually unless of course your riding around in a museum piece, but even those ones are capable of decent speed.

Here's a quick video showing you that tanks are indeed, not slow ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5XUQ2beGfM

They can also be relatively slow, loud and hard to maneuver in a street, they make an awful lot of sound that a conga line of zombies would be following and more coming from all around you since the sound is basically a dinner bell.

To be fair, the same can be said for any vehicle with an engine. Your perhaps right on the difficulty to maneuver, but if your in a tank... that doesn't matter as much.

Regards to the misconception of Tank=Slow, well, no, their not. They are quite fast actually unless of course your riding around in a museum piece, but even those ones are capable of decent speed.

Here's a quick video showing you that tanks are indeed, not slow ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5XUQ2beGfM

Damn, that is pretty freaking fast. I would still think it would be a bit louder than the average vehicle. :P

yeah modern tanks are actually pretty quick for their size, and surprisingly "nimble"....for what they are.

though if you get one stuck without a support crew around with heavy equipment to help extract you, that tank will sit there forever.

You know what I can't understand?

Why did Rick and the group let the walkers pile up at the prison gates instead of taking them down immediately?

They waited until the last minute to take out the guns and mow down the walkers.

They had more than plenty of ammo to do it yet they just let them pile up until they brought the fence down.

Why did Rick and the group let the walkers pile up at the prison gates instead of taking them down immediately?

They waited until the last minute to take out the guns and mow down the walkers.

They had more than plenty of ammo to do it yet they just let them pile up until they brought the fence down.

They know that noise attracts walkers, or other undesirables are known about their location. Not to mention ammo is basically a currency now so you don't want to be wasting that stuff. So using the knifes is the smart option really, they just kind of let it get out of hand.

They know that noise attracts walkers, or other undesirables are known about their location. Not to mention ammo is basically a currency now so you don't want to be wasting that stuff. So using the knifes is the smart option really, they just kind of let it get out of hand.

Yeah but it seemed like they had already drawn ever walker around.

Kind of a dumb move not to have had everyone out there killing them with either guns or melee through the gates.

It's been a bit, but I think the main reason it got out of hand so quickly is because the prison was rapidly coming down with the bloody flu thing and most everyone was in quarantine.

Also I found it really damn annoying about the way they handled the whole virus thing. One character says that they need to grab medications that treat the symptoms rather than the virus itself to give everyone a chance to survive and yet immediately after they start talking about retrieving antibiotics instead. And then when they make the supply run they pretty much grab NOTHING BUT antibiotics. They knew it was a virus. They knew it wouldn't help. They came out and said as much. But they grabbed antibiotics anyway.

Does anyone else notice that the cars driven by the main characters are always clean?

Not even a spot of dirt on them.

They look brand new fresh off the lot.

It's been a bit, but I think the main reason it got out of hand so quickly is because the prison was rapidly coming down with the bloody flu thing and most everyone was in quarantine.

Also I found it really damn annoying about the way they handled the whole virus thing. One character says that they need to grab medications that treat the symptoms rather than the virus itself to give everyone a chance to survive and yet immediately after they start talking about retrieving antibiotics instead. And then when they make the supply run they pretty much grab NOTHING BUT antibiotics. They knew it was a virus. They knew it wouldn't help. They came out and said as much. But they grabbed antibiotics anyway.

Yeah but before the virus broke out there was already a large horde of walkers on the gates.

The horde had bent it back for the first time yet they still didn't take it seriously.

Instead of killing the walkers Rick sacrificed his pigs to lure them away.

Does anyone else notice that the cars driven by the main characters are always clean?

Not even a spot of dirt on them.

They look brand new fresh off the lot.

Yeah but before the virus broke out there was already a large horde of walkers on the gates.

The horde had bent it back for the first time yet they still didn't take it seriously.

Instead of killing the walkers Rick sacrificed his pigs to lure them away.

I believe that was a time where they were trying to repair the fence at that point.

RE: Cars, welcome to the glorious world of product placement.

If you had loads of zeds piling up at reinforced chain link fences wouldn't you experiment to find the best form of sticky fire weapon to kill them?

I would be out there with a science team trying to do operational research into finding effective zombie killing weapons.

Personally some form of squirtable napalm weapon that burns phosphorous which you would squirt at head height would be my choice. You never see this in zombie films or TV shows. Its part of why I think they all deserve to die.

If you had loads of zeds piling up at reinforced chain link fences wouldn't you experiment to find the best form of sticky fire weapon to kill them?

I would be out there with a science team trying to do operational research into finding effective zombie killing weapons.

Personally some form of squirtable napalm weapon that burns phosphorous which you would squirt at head height would be my choice. You never see this in zombie films or TV shows. Its part of why I think they all deserve to die.

That'd work right up until your weapon explodes, killing you horribly. Flamethrowers of any kind are hugely impractical weapons in both use and design. And the fire would just make the chain links more brittle, compounding the problem as they lose their flexibility because of the heat and start snapping instead of bending and giving.

Hell, I'd just do what the people in the walking dead did (even if they didn't keep at it enough for it to have been the least bit useful) and keep a bunch of stabbing implements in storage along the length of the fence. That way I could just stab the zeds pressing up against the fencing as they arrived. Right through the eye socket and into the brain. They'd make such good targets of themselves, too.

Archived