Baking Bread

Lefarge

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, I didn't see this thread and made a new one about bread. Here's a copy and paste:

"Currently in build 25a, if you have flour and water, you can make dough out of it, oddly called "pie dough". Unfortunately, this cannot be baked into bread. My suggestion is that bread be added into the game. Bread is a very common basic food. Oh lord give us our daily bread.

If you want to cook it over a fire, you could put the dough in a pan or on a stone. You can also fry flat bread. I've not tried this, but I imagine if you put a grill over a fire you could cook flat bread like that."

Of course you don't need yeast to make bread :). Bread with yeast is called leavened bread, and bread without yeast is called unleavened bread. Unleavened bread can be a big loaf like what we eat a lot of, it can be flat like what easterners like, and it can be really small and flat and called a sea biscuit. Leavened bread is something I really would not want in a survival situation. Because it rises more than unleavened bread, it may have gaps in the crust and go mouldy, whereas unleavened bread will last you months or years as long as the crust is dry and unbroken. Leavened bread also takes up more space because it rises, and it takes more to make than simply cooking some wet kneaded flour. It also breaks more easily than unleavened bread, which is bad if you want to roll around carrying food you want to eat two months later.

Edit:
Thanks, I didn't know that. So leaven means yeast. I thought then -en on the end was like the -en in risen and given and taken.
On looking up the etymology, "mid-14c., from Old French levain "leaven, sourdough" (12c.), from Latin levamen "alleviation, mitigation," but used in Vulgar Latin in its literal sense of "a means of lifting, something that raises," from levare "to raise" (see lever). Figurative use from late 14c.".
That doesn't seem to fit either of our understandings of the word. :s

Edited by Gaffa Tape Warrior