Bows and Arrows

CatGuitarist

Firearms skill and Ranged skill works.

We dont need reload and aim if they are within each one.

I'm fairly in favour of that. Knowing how to reload is as much a part of being skilled in firearms as aiming is. Less usual that you would be good at one, but not the other.

Well... Could always do what Dwarf Fortress does. Have a general Fighting skill and a general Ranged skill plus specialized skills for different weapon categories. So if I level up Fighting, my basic melee ability goes up no matter what I use but I also have the option to specialize in a certain kind of melee weapon to be even more deadly. Same goes for Ranged. I level it up and it gives me a general bonus to all ranged weapons but if I wanted I could also put points in specialized categories like Bows or Firearms to increase my effectiveness with those specific weapon types.

That way I don't get screwed if I can't find the specific weapon I'm good at. If I level up Bladed but I'm unable to find any sharp weapons, I'm screwed. But if I level up the general Fighting skill, I'll be effective no matter what weapon I find. But if I get a hold of an axe head and I have enough carpentry skill to fashion new handles for it so I don't have to worry about finding new axes, I can go ahead and put specialty points in Bladed weapons so I'll be an even better fighter when I'm using my preferred weapon.

It's still sorta complex, but it makes the game more versatile so we have more options to go about doing things.

Well... Could always do what Dwarf Fortress does. Have a general Fighting skill and a general Ranged skill plus specialized skills for different weapon categories. So if I level up Fighting, my basic melee ability goes up no matter what I use but I also have the option to specialize in a certain kind of melee weapon to be even more deadly. Same goes for Ranged. I level it up and it gives me a general bonus to all ranged weapons but if I wanted I could also put points in specialized categories like Bows or Firearms to increase my effectiveness with those specific weapon types.

That way I don't get screwed if I can't find the specific weapon I'm good at. If I level up Bladed but I'm unable to find any sharp weapons, I'm screwed. But if I level up the general Fighting skill, I'll be effective no matter what weapon I find. But if I get a hold of an axe head and I have enough carpentry skill to fashion new handles for it so I don't have to worry about finding new axes, I can go ahead and put specialty points in Bladed weapons so I'll be an even better fighter when I'm using my preferred weapon.

It's still sorta complex, but it makes the game more versatile so we have more options to go about doing things.

Melee Combat 0/5

- Blunt Weapons 0/5

- Sharp Weapons 0/5

Unarmed Combat 0/5

- Strikes 0/5

- Grapples 0/5

Ranged Combat 0/5

- Firearms 0/5

- Throwing Weapons 0/5

- Projectiles 0/5

Each category governs multipliers to XP when used. Leveling enables higher multipliers to learn combat skills. Each combat levels unlocks perks and enhances the overall respective combat type.

If you throw weapons a lot, Ranges combat build up. Get to lv1 and you get +100% skill xp multiplier. Each level adds +50% to the exp multiplier to a total of +300%.

You train sub combat skills faster but it takes more XP to earn points to upgrade then due to using them up in Ranged.

Bows, Crossbows, and Slings falls Into projectiles.

DF level complexity is far out of scope for PZ. Simplicity is everything.

Farming has multipliers, so why not combat?

To balance it, maybe skill points can be easier to get.

Melee 0/5 has 0% to 300% XP multiplier for itself and its sub category.

If XP requirements are halved. Players can attain level 1 skills more easily.

Every time you swing a melee weapon, it gives you 0.1 XP per swing. Hitting things add 0.5 XP per hit per target. The XP is for Melee skills and not its sub category.

For example: Every time you hit a Zombie with blunt, you get 0.5 XP to blunt.

Melee combat requires 100 XP to get to lv1. you then get a 2x XP to ranged and its subcategory.

Melee combat in general affects your swinging accuracy and exhaustion extent.

Then Blunt affects proficiency of doing more damage and landing a critical hit. Blunt gives more benefits on a hitting basis, like knockbacks and knockdown, but expensive to master specifically.

That's why you are fine with just mastering Melee combat, as it makes you more conditioned to swinging a weapon, though it will not give impact based benefits.

Main Category = Conditioning

Subcategory = Impact

Subcategory Skills can be harder to learn due to Skill Points becoming rare as you use them up. Maxing blunt and melee already uses 10 skill points, and it takes a long while to get a 3rd point normally.

So in a sense, weapon skills build up fast, but your skill points won't be as fast.

These mechanics are complex on paper, but in gameplay its very tiny compared to huge RPG mechanics.

If PZ is about simplicity, why do we need books? And why should it take a long time to raise levels?

DF level complexity is far out of scope for PZ. Simplicity is everything.

Not talking DF levels of complexity. Nowhere near that. Just suggesting a DF inspired system that is way simpler than anything DF has. A Fighting skill and a Ranged skill that give general bonuses to fighting with a melee weapon and fighting with a ranged weapon. These general bonuses would then work alongside any specialized bonuses you get from putting skill points in a specific weapon group.

Dead Frontier is nothing without its RPG mechanics. Why are firearms and melee weapons even level scaled? Microtransaction.

In PZ the pen is as mighty as the sword, if it doesn't break that easily. But the puncture it causes to players are as deadly as a sword.

There is no grinding in this game apart from farming and carpentry.

Incorrect.

There is grinding in every skill. If you have '3' in blunt and you want '4' then grab your nailed baseball bat and hit the streets.

If you want to level sprinting... Well... Either the devs gives is treadmills to run for hours or we sprint around the current map 10x over.

There is no grinding in this game apart from farming and carpentry.

Incorrect.

There is grinding in every skill. If you have '3' in blunt and you want '4' then grab your nailed baseball bat and hit the streets.

If you want to level sprinting... Well... Either the devs gives is treadmills to run for hours or we sprint around the current map 10x over.

Oh.. and then there are my personal favorites. Sneaking endlessly around circling a zed horde to level up Sneaking, Lightfooted and Nimble. And when this gets tiring return home, grab a dozen rotten watermelons from the fridge and slice them with a kitchen knife to level up your Cooking.

Hours of fun for the easily amused.Which I count myself among. :)

Its better with maybe less time on each skill, but its a lot better then maxing your skills out in a few days and being a demi god.

I think you over estimate my abilities as a player. :)

If I didn't do that I'd be zed food inside two days. :)

I play on Insanity level zombies with their skills set to maximum. (And I am honestly not that great at this style of game) I need all the help I can get. 

Most of your bows are average weight, but my custom is a long range bullseye destroyer weighs less than a kilogram, including the strapped arrow (Or arrows, if i make it looser). Its a 10 dollar homemade sniper waiting for someone to nock an arrow.

Fun Fact: I named it the Longshot, or LS-3, as it took three attempts to make. When i get my new computer (wich will have Windows 8, hurray), I will show it to ya guys..

They could add precision and maybe a trait for faster reloading, kinda like COD's Sleight of Hand?

Fun Fact: Weight is some custom made unit made up by the devs... We don't know exactly what each item weighs, so you have a spoon that weighs 10 times less than a golf club, or 100x less than a golf club but isn't defined properly.

Having the weight system tweaked to actual weight in Kilograms would work...

I'm pretty sure in real life can hold a bunch of wooden baseball bats in two arms on the weight factor alone, no backpacks needed, they are much lighter than a log really.

So in MP having a max 'capacity' of 8 weight is a bit odd... And clothing weighs 1.0 meaning they are as half as heavy as a baseball bat or a golf club?

Most of your bows are average weight, but my custom is a long range bullseye destroyer weighs less than a kilogram, including the strapped arrow (Or arrows, if i make it looser). Its a 10 dollar homemade sniper waiting for someone to nock an arrow.

Fun Fact: I named it the Longshot, or LS-3, as it took three attempts to make. When i get my new computer (wich will have Windows 8, hurray), I will show it to ya guys..

They could add precision and maybe a trait for faster reloading, kinda like COD's Sleight of Hand?

I don't think that in a small town somewhere in Europe, they'd have Sports store focusing on modern composite bows, especially with how dated the environment looks (firearms, clothings, food, and TVs!)...

The year is around the 1990s, so it's back around the SD picture TV days.

The "weight" in the game is actually more properly "mass." It considers both how much something weighs and how much space it takes up.

I don't think that in a small town somewhere in Europe, they'd have Sports store focusing on modern composite bows, especially with how dated the environment looks (firearms, clothings, food, and TVs!)...

The year is around the 1990s, so it's back around the SD picture TV days.

I'm… not sure what's going on here, but none of that is true of PZ if that's what you're referencing o.O

kind of reads as if he does not know, or forgot, that the game is based around the real life state of Kentucky, and the real towns of Muldraugh and West Point.

Based on the location, but the timeline aren't really specified, as TVs are still the older 'Antennae' TVs that only some people still use due to rural areas.

Steel/Plastic Composite Bows of modern designs would be really rare though, and hunting rifles and the likes would be more common than these bows.

Steel/Plastic Composite Bows of modern designs would be really rare though, and hunting rifles and the likes would be more common than these bows.

False. Oh so very false. I live in Kentucky and the bows and crossbows are just as common as the guns. Archery is a rather popular sport and bow-hunting is very common in these here parts.

There's an archery shop just around the corner from where I live and last I checked they had over a hundred some odd Composite Bows in stock. New and old alike.

Ehh, bone doesn't really rot. The marrow goes away eventually and it loses some flexibility, but bone stays strong long enough that it wouldn't make much difference. That's one of the things that has always really disgusted me about TWD zombies with their flapjack skulls.

Perhaps if the zombies remember to stay hydrated and don't go solid and crumble, the bone is kept wet and without an immune system and so it may rot then? I've read that in rainforests bones do not last long after they die. Maybe then the brain rots away or falls out of the zombie.

I don't think making any gun skills also work for bows is a good idea. It just doesn't feel right.

Yes. Perhaps crossbow shooting and gun shooting and similar though.

[n]    Overpowered weapons/specific firearms

Overpowered Vehicles/Tanks

Welp, shit. There goes my idea of using abandoned tanks as the start of a base, or fixing up a World War 2 junker and pulling every zombie for a hundred miles while slowly grinding about. That said, having tanks in game with NON-FUNCTIONAL weapons, or simply as wrecked background vehicles, would be awesome :P

To fit crossbow and firearms into the same structure but different usage:

Ranged Skill alone can be for 'accuracy' and 'reloading'.

The proficiency for their separate weapon types is for RateOfFire/Recoil, and effective damage since you are shooting for the head and the chance of critically killing them in one shot.

A crossbow would rely on the fact that you need headshots to kill them, anywhere else won't make a difference.

So a crossbow would mainly be used in PvP or stealth, so it's crossbow skills is focus on 'critical hit chance' and accuracy boosts.