Anyone planning to host server things in the U.S.?

Footmuffin

So. Project Zomboid's getting multiplayer moderately soon-ish assuming things go well. Since most of you cool forum cats are over in Europe, and I am not, I figured I'd do a thing that asked where most of the people on here who plan to host servers will be hosting from and if they'd be so sweet as to let me in on their thing because I haven't done anything like this before and I am moderately bewildered and confused by the whole whitelisting thing, need buddy-folks, and promise to be really nice.

Spoiler
wow im even having trouble just clicking post *anxious, sweaty sniffle*

So is someone planning on hosting server things in the U.S., and will I get to play on that thing if I promise to be really really nice there?

RP VPS server (maybe.)

what is this i dont knwo what that means but it sounds cool also thank you for the fast reply

RP VPS server (maybe.) Chances are looks like it will be in Dallas. It all depends. Though I'm in the UK, so there's that.

Good to hear! Even though that's half the continent away from me, Dallas servers usually get such fast internet speeds it's like its only a few hundred miles away, as opposed to thousands.

i do tentatively plan to rent some server space, but need to know which companies will have it. if Lowping carries the game, i will be using them. most likely on their Chicago server.

my server would definitely use mods, with the Yet Another Weapon mod being high priority

i do tentatively plan to rent some server space, but need to know which companies will have it. if Lowping carries the game, i will be using them. most likely on their Chicago server.

my server would definitely use mods, with the Yet Another Weapon mod being high priority

Hello, you should consider using this mod when it's finish.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/5388-return-of-the-map-mod/#entry72501

Also let's be friends.

Finders fee!

I will rent a server but there is only 1 rule... E.L.E people E.L.E! Hoping to rent a PvE/PvP server though so the option will be there if anyone wants to break the rule. My internet connection might handle it but I doubt it. Does anyone know if 25 dl and 6 ul is good enough???

RP VPS server (maybe.)

what is this i dont knwo what that means but it sounds cool also thank you for the fast reply

RP = Roleplay VPS = Type of server. (maybe) = My uncertainty of whether or not I'll get the server.

There you go! :D

I will rent a server but there is only 1 rule... E.L.E people E.L.E! Hoping to rent a PvE/PvP server though so the option will be there if anyone wants to break the rule. My internet connection might handle it but I doubt it. Does anyone know if 25 dl and 6 ul is good enough???

ELE = Extreme Low Energy?

Lemmy made a statement to the fact that PZ was running in multiplayer at TIS HQ on a "domestic cable connection", and there were no hiccups experienced due to bandwidth.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind chipping in for the costs of running a server with a few other people, if others are interested in doing so.

ELE = Extreme Low Energy?

Lemmy made a statement to the fact that PZ was running in multiplayer at TIS HQ on a "domestic cable connection", and there were no hiccups experienced due to bandwidth.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind chipping in for the costs of running a server with a few other people, if others are interested in doing so.

I'm sure there are going to be plenty people, who will want someone to chip in costs to a server if it means not paying themselves. xD

Still it's probably best to have a dedicated machine, since I hate servers that are at the whims of the owners, and usually end up turning it off by accident before going to bed.

Edit: Screw it I'm buying the VPS. Guess that means there will be at least one  two servers up.

Edit2: If it really is low bandwith then it might be possible to run multiple instances of the server. Though that might tie up resources, idk.

So. Project Zomboid's getting multiplayer moderately soon-ish assuming things go well. Since most of you cool forum cats are over in Europe, and I am not, I figured I'd do a thing that asked where most of the people on here who plan to host servers will be hosting from and if they'd be so sweet as to let me in on their thing because I haven't done anything like this before and I am moderately bewildered and confused by the whole whitelisting thing, need buddy-folks, and promise to be really nice.

Spoiler
wow im even having trouble just clicking post *anxious, sweaty sniffle*

So is someone planning on hosting server things in the U.S., and will I get to play on that thing if I promise to be really really nice there?

I wouldn't worry about it mate. There are a couple of points to be made:

1. There are plenty of our American cousins in this forum. Hell, the game is based in Kentucky. I'm sure there will be more than a few who host their own server.

2. The game isn't what I'd call a 'twitchy' game. Some games, like Counter-strike for example, are all about split second timing. Those games tend to require a really low ping, no packet loss etc. PZ is not one of those games. It's about being smart and making the right decisions. My point is, if you connected to a server in the UK and your connection is decent then I don't think you'd have many problems. Obviously local servers are better. Something to consider though.

Try pinging the BBC. That'll give you a good indication.

When the Z's come I'll come for you guys. I promise. Just hold out, I'll be there!

If you come rescue you me first I can show you the super secret grade A whiskey distillery that is only know by the Scottish. I could get into a lot of trouble for that sort of thing, but save me first and it's all yours.

When the Z's come I'll come for you guys. I promise. Just hold out, I'll be there!

If you come rescue you me first I can show you the super secret grade A whiskey distillery that is only know by the Scottish. I could get into a lot of trouble for that sort of thing, but save me first and it's all yours.

Save me first and I'll show you where all the best cheese, clogs, windmills, and red light districts (yes, there is more than one) are... not to mention the, ahem, coffee shops.

Save me first and I'll show you where all the best cheese, clogs, windmills, and red light districts (yes, there is more than one) are... not to mention the, ahem, coffee shops.

Sold!

p.s there was only really one of those that I was interested in

p.p.s I also love Dutch food.

I'll be in Amsterdam for an hour or two when I'm making the flight to Rezzed.

Call me.

I'll be in Amsterdam for an hour or two when I'm making the flight to Rezzed.

Call me.

Not much time for touring the sights, but sure, let's make it happen.

Plenty of peeps from the US.

Here's a map from some peeps who pinned their location:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=453615&x=-1.617780&y=54.978252&z=4&add=1

On that note, a little fun fact:

Almost 1/3 of all the PZ Facebook likes are from the US.

13% from the UK. 

About 6% from Canada, Germany and France each, while Australia hits them with about 4.5%.

The rest of the world makes the rest (which is another 1/3).

Plenty of peeps from the US.

Here's a map from some peeps who pinned their location:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=453615&x=-1.617780&y=54.978252&z=4&add=1

On that note, a little fun fact:

Almost 1/3 of all the PZ Facebook likes are from the US.

13% from the UK.

About 6% from Canada, Germany and France each, while Australia hits them with about 4.5%.

The rest of the world makes the rest (which is another 1/3).

What's the breakdown for EU countries, out of interest?

Archived