Bathing

Marinus

Sandbox Mode was something the devs definitely didn't want, but the idea had overwhelming support in the community. The resistance of the Devs to Sandbox mode is still visible in the "proper zombies" box you have to unclick if you want to play with anything else than the zombies as the Devs envisioned them. It's so we will always know that the Devs are sad when we want to have ourselves ripped to pieces by running zombies or something instead of Proper Zomboids 

i know its one of the no's of the development but i feel its a need in the game as i exposed.... has several advantages in terms of immmersion and gameplay... 

consider the following how fucking realistic is having a fortress in which you live for months and there is no fucking bathroom...

althou in a certain point taking a shower is not a priority consider what i exposed... there will be alternatives as the option will be clean yourself. for this you can use either a water bottle a bucket... or something else. a shower is one that will give you the higher effect... 

but  will requiere a lot of work... 

also there is some alternatives to have hot water... including even a boiler to do so. 

let me show you some alternatives from the simplest to the most complex ones. 

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/3351219_f520.jpg the camping shower... the water inside will get warm with the sun and thus provide a good quality shower... the waste of water is minimal as you control the amount of water you use to take a shower.

http://static.betazeta.com/www.veoverde.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/calentador.jpg

the hand crafted solar shower... this is not so portable... but it can be made using plastic bottles, and some pipes... in this picture you see a water tank which contains the water suply... 

the stream runs through the pipes and the sun heats the water providing even hot water to wash the dishes...

http://insix.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/termopanel.png this is a thermal panel... same concept as the above but with higher quality materials. can be handcrafted too but requieres more work and equipment.

http://www.termocalor.cl/imagenes/somos/2.jpg

the thermal cannon... another sort of simple one.. this can be handcrafted and when you make fire will heat the water and thus provide enough to cook and shower. the most versatile of the above.

the crafting of most of the above equipment may include 

wood... tape... fittings ... black paint... nails... glue... water bottles...a knife...

for the thermal cannon you might need some welding... and metal panels... a metal shear and a few other things

including some valves and cooper pipes, but nothing impossible to gather. 

Also, consider how it would affect the NPC's you meet when they are implemented. Smelling like shit and being covered in blood might be a negative when interacting with an NPC the first time.

The system could be so simple. If a bathroom has hygene products and a bucket of water then: right-click->hygene (or whatever)->fade to black/fade in -> clean moodle.

I really have no idea why this isn't implemented. Maybe they will change their minds.

I really don't see a game need for watching and going through the animations of taking a poop. I feel like this recommendation is from a giant troll, or a 8 year old. (or both)

When it comes to taking a shower,

One word, dirt! The more dirt you have on you, the higher chance a scratch or bite will be infected.

I really don't see a game need for watching and going through the animations of taking a poop. I feel like this recommendation is from a giant troll, or a 8 year old. (or both)

When it comes to taking a shower,

One word, dirt! The more dirt you have on you, the higher chance a scratch or bite will be infected.

I didn't see the talk about "poop" anywhere in this discussion, and the suggestion didn't seem troll-y to me.

I'd personally like to have showers in as an OPTIONAL thing to have a positive effect when there's nothing to do in PZ (which happens a lot for me). Like having a hot shower will keep away depression and boredom (That'll be important when those elements begin to have effects, such as the topic of insanity).

I'm all for hygiene in the game. :D I mean, me personally, I hate being all sweaty and gross after working on things outside (and in Texas, it's absurd at times). I say that showers should maybe help relieve stress and minor tiredness in the game, and maybe even help to relieve some pain (good way to forget about muscle tightness).

Stressful environment? Showers and baths are usually a really good unwinding method.

I mean, the more outlandish request would be to ask to add bubble bath or bath salts to make the bath more relaxing. |D

Though, I'm also in agreement with disinfecting wounds and stuff so as to not get infected. Though, this could also be solved with the placement of cleaning alcohol in the pharmacies, or even in bathroom cabinets.

I don't seem to recall the devs saying "no there will never be sandbox."

Anyways, Mash just recently stated that maybe showers coul give you a small boost or something; however, that will never be required and bodily functions won't ever be part of PZ. Period.

Yeah, gotta agree. Skip the waste management system... However the baths (and any creature comforts) and be a great addition to boost morale and happiness. Plus, it would help flesh out the carpentry system with the ability to build a solar heated shower. Not sure if there are any fans of the old Discovery show The Colony, but a lot of the items they build in that show would be awesome additions to this game. Still sad that show got cancelled.

I think the big deciding factor for anything with cleanliness and such- where the devs have drawn the line- is "is it required."

If you can continue to play the game while your cleanliness suggestion is in play without taking part in it, then your suggestion is fine. If it's disruptive to gameplay and it's something you're forced to do, it's not fine.

Guys, guys. You are all slipping way off topic and way into the depths of "showering vs being dirty mechanic with a bunch of traits". Developers already said no to that.

What if showering becomes something a player himself will have to look for, but it will not affect the character you play with, at all? Basically, all this nonsense I've just written right now means this :

The character, with time (Depending on the amount of zombies you've killed in close counter, etc) starts getting dirty. His clothes become torn, dirt shows all over the face, and at some point he becomes really, really wrecked by the apocalypse, showing signs of how cruel the world outside is. For men, additionally, you can have beards grow (Hooray for beards idea!.. cough), women won't need to worry about them though.

Dirt appearing physically on a character is kind of cool, but some people prefer to stay clean and be as close to "Default human" as possible. Let them shower their faces in bathtubs and clean their clothes. You may cut your hair short with scissors, too, just sayin'... Not like I'm suggesting anything... Err.

So, yeah. No need for debuffs or buffs for hygiene, let it solely be up to player if he wants to shower or not.

The cosmetic thing would be cool Leolvanov, but to be honest, it would probably be much more work to code that in than a simple happiness boost. In all reality, a thing like a hot shower can have a huge psychological effect. Its almost like the person is back to normal life, albeit for only a minute. I don't think it in any way needs to be tied to negative effects if you don't, but if a player takes the time (especially when the water is turned off) to find a way to "clean up", that's worth giving a small happiness boost to help with some of the negative effects like depression or boredom. 

A lot of good thinking and reflecting happens in the shower, too. |D Which could also lead to said happiness boost whilst their body is being cleansed of sweat, dirt, blood, and muck.

A person with the hypochondriac trait might also benefit from shower boosts. :'D

Though, I have to also agree with Brannty that coding in something such as a progressively dirtying character and cleaning them up with a shower would be a little more work (collectively) than adding in the happiness boost (though, I also vote that it alleviates stress as well).

actually adding dirt and blood over a character is not that hard... here is a simple solution for such things

every character has a sprite made of layers... which contain the divisions of the body such as pants... maybe upper clothing and even the equipment a character is carrying... 

so how do we add the blood and dirt to a character..

apply such things in the highest layer. the character wont have the effect althou it can be textured based on a character model to look dirtier or bloodier with the passing time. the effect will only remain on top of the character so it will behave the same way an object that is held by a character. so... in some way the file weight considering such thing would be pretty much the same as 2 clothing styles. this same way of solving it can be applied if in the future they want to add a way to know if a character has been healed with bandages. 

and like i said before... taking a shower is not a must for gameplay althou will make more sense having a fortress with a bathroom than living in one without it.