Game Of My Year

Strider

Every year I make a list of what I consider to be game of the year. I appreciate this is a PZ forum but I hope for some objectivity in your reply!

So, game of the year. What is yours?

I can't decide if it's been a good year or a bad year. Some of the games listed below weren't released in 2013 but in 2012 or earlier. They're on my list because it's in 2013 that I finally got to play them. Anyway, here are my contenders:

• XCom: Enemy Unknown
  • Project Zomboid
  • Gunpoint
  • Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  • The Walking Dead

I'm keen to hear what your choices as I feel I've forgotten some.

Note: I've not played GTA5 yet.

https://sites.google.com/site/scottarobson/Home/gaming

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Games I loved this year:

Monaco

Metro: Last Light

Gunpoint

The Last of Us

Batman: Arkham Origins

Risk of Rain

Football Manager 2014

I actually replayed Lone Survivor on the PS3 and I've had lots of fun with it together with my gf.

It was also one of my favourite games in 2012 (PC).

Right now I am playing the hell out of Neo Scavenger, though.

Football Manager 2014

I don't actually consider it a great game as I find that there are not enough improvements compared to the previous version.

Personally I liked XCOM: Enemy unknown too. I also played The Bureau: XCOM declassified and it was decent, had some fun with it.I don't know where to place PZ yet as I'm pretty new, but I think I'll stick around for quite a while.

My game of the year 2013 definitely is GTA V, had some fun with it and I think it's the best one (of the series) ever made.

Games I loved this year:

Monaco
Gunpoint
The Last of Us

Monaco never appealed and I wasn't going to try last light because 2033 never grabbed me. I tried it on Xbox back in the day and when it could play it on PC I tried it then too. Never grabbed me. I've only heard good things about it and it's the kind of story-driven game that I usually gravitate to.

I had little hope for this game and I was right not to get my hopes up. 

Games I loved this year:

Monaco
Gunpoint
The Last of Us
Risk of Rain
Football Manager 2014

I actually replayed Lone Survivor on the PS3 and I've had lots of fun with it together with my gf.
It was also one of my favourite games in 2012 (PC).

Right now I am playing the hell out of Neo Scavenger, though.

Neo Scavenger is something I tried very briefly. I can't get over the limited graphics but it's a wonderful idea. I watched a playthrough of The Last Of Us and to a large extent it's ruined the game for me. I suspect it might have been my game of the year otherwise. I just simply couldn't afford to buy it when it came out.

Don't Starve.

Need I say more?

It's a good suggestion. It's a game I might have otherwise loved. Not sure why I didn't get into it but I can understand why it's well loved.

It pains me to see those games on your list, Strider.

For Project Zomboid, I personally don't think its up to that caliber yet. When its full potential is reached, perhaps then.

In regards to my GOTY: None. It has been a really shit year for games as a whole with so many disappointing releases.

It pains me to see those games on your list, Strider.

For Project Zomboid, I personally don't think its up to that caliber yet. When its full potential is reached, perhaps then.

In regards to my GOTY: None. It has been a really shit year for games as a whole with so many disappointing releases.

Why does it pain you to see those games on my list. I think Gunpoint for all that it's short, is great fun and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who loves thoughtful indi games.

PZ is a terrific game that I've played for 55 hours on Steam alone. That doesn't include what I've put into Desura. That's more than I might have put into other triple A titles.

Chivalry is the first game which I feel comes close to reimagining what I would imagine the intensity of sword fighting to be like. It's great fun. However, thanks for jogging my memory. I forgot about The Walking Dead which may well win it for me. That game really got to me at the end.

I agree, it's been a poor year though. In retrospect, I think it's TWD that's going to win it. I'd need another paragraph or two to fully explain why.

The Walking Dead was 2012 but that does remind me, I do actually have a Game of the Year... The Wolf Among Us. What an awesome game, and perhaps the only game I truly enjoyed this year.

Regards to why it pains me, well their good games I just don't feel their GOTY material. X-Com may be a good game to those who might be new to the series, but as a fan of the originals I feel the game does a complete disservice to what the original was and captures none of the atmosphere that X-Com had in its day and having played it I think it employs cheap AI tricks that takes a lot of the fun and difficulty that the original was renowned for.

I also have a pet-hate for developers who milk franchise names for what they are and attempt to lure the fans in. Operation Flashpoint, the Codemasters remake would perhaps be the more infamous milking of a known name.

I completely agree. Zomboid presently lacks a 'mid-game', and generally doesn't have much content, with all of the heartiest content (survivors, fire, more complete map, multiplayer) either being exceptionally incomplete or nonexistant. As I said, however the game very seriously lacks 'flow'.

There's really only one way to progress, which is to randomly scavenge for a while until you get a safehouse up in one of the few viable locations (to qoute Animal Farm, all safehouse locations are equal, but some more equal than others), and then to just turtle things out until you get bored and leave, since the game went from a cool sandbox-esque survival game (with emphasis on survival) to Harvest Moon: Zombie Edition.

Now, I've read on the wiki that after a while the zombies actually start actively searching for you, a-la the hounds from Don't Starve, but I'm not entirely certain that's true, because the zombies haven't seemed to get any more dense than they were for me. If this truly was the case, and the zombies got so hungry that every single one of them on the whole map started slowly trudging straight towards you, pitting you versus an entire city of angry dead people, that would be pretty fucking sweet, but I'm not sure it's like that. Regardless, the game really does in some way need to continually throw challenge at you in order to make sure that you haven't started going limp yet. But yeah. Fix this, and it'll be a good game.

The Walking Dead was 2012 but that does remind me, I do actually have a Game of the Year... The Wolf Among Us. What an awesome game, and perhaps the only game I truly enjoyed this year.

Regards to why it pains me, well their good games I just don't feel their GOTY material. X-Com may be a good game to those who might be new to the series, but as a fan of the originals I feel the game does a complete disservice to what the original was and captures none of the atmosphere that X-Com had in its day and having played it I think it employs cheap AI tricks that takes a lot of the fun and difficulty that the original was renowned for.

I also have a pet-hate for developers who milk franchise names for what they are and attempt to lure the fans in. Operation Flashpoint, the Codemasters remake would perhaps be the more infamous milking of a known name.

I'm not a fan of the milking of franchises. I guess my selection was the best of what was on offer. In my opinion.

Subtle rename thread to Game of the Past Few Years?

Well thanks for reading my post before replying :-/

I can't decide if it's been a good year or a bad year. Some of the games listed below weren't released in 2013 but in 2012 or earlier. They're on my list because it's in 2013 that I finally got to play them.

Subtle rename thread to Game of the Past Few Years?

Well thanks for reading my post before replying :-/

Some of the games listed below weren't released in 2013 but in 2012 or earlier.

You seem to be in either a very bad mood tonight or are overly serious. Either way, someone is going to call you out on it -- it might as well be a mod.

... it might as well be a mod.

I feel dirty now. :oops:

Well for goodness' sake, GOTY is something different to everyone. No need for everyone to be such negative nellies.

I'm always rather behind on games (a huuuuuge backlog), and I don't think I've played too many that are from this year, and not a single AAA game. However, looking at my steam list, I think the one that I played the most is Skulls of the Shogun. It was released on consoles before, but that doesn't count ;) It is good fun for anyone who likes turn-based games.

I just got that today! I went through 2 days before I realized I hadn't read the rules regarding passports, and so missed the whole point ;)

Some other indie games from this year I'm hoping to get and/or play soon:

The Inner World

The Swapper

The Stanley Parable

Knock-Knock

The Bridge, also from this year, is quite good if you like puzzle platformers. It's very, very Braid-like in tone though.

Well for goodness' sake, GOTY is something different to everyone. No need for everyone to be such negative nellies.

I'm not being a negative nelly though. I legit don't understand how PZ in its current state could even be eligible for GOTY.

GOTY just means what game(s) you like most. I wouldn't consider PZ my GOTY right now either, but if someone else does, I'm happy for 'em :)

Well for goodness' sake, GOTY is something different to everyone.

This is the first time I've seen it used for anything other than games released within a calender year, Mash. It's generally not Games That I've Played This Year. :/

This is the only way I'm able to participate in these kinds of discussions ;)  I'm ALWAYS late.

How about we coin GOMY? (Game of My Year)

This is the only way I'm able to participate in these kinds of discussions ;)  I'm ALWAYS late.

But we've already a few Best Games threads, along with the much less positive "Biggest Disappointments" one!

You can't change this arbitrary definition. I won't let you, Mash! You don't have the power. :D

You seem to be in either a very bad mood tonight or are overly serious. Either way, someone is going to call you out on it -- it might as well be a mod.

I wasn't in a bad mood yesterday. And as much as you'd like to, you can't ban me for it. I broke the forum rules (did the crime), I served the 3 day ban (did the time) so now why don't you leave me alone until I do break a rule.

Actually, scratch that. You're making it clear that you're looking for a reason to ban me. Let me save you the trouble.