Petition for old Youtube Comments

silents429

Actually you may be right Xydonus- you can't delete the G+. But you can just unlink it and never look at the G+ again, which is what I've done.

Unlinking is an unholy pain in the ass (they do their best to hide it and intimidate you into not using it), but it's what I've done.

Actually you may be right Xydonus- you can't delete the G+. But you can just unlink it and never look at the G+ again, which is what I've done.

Unlinking is an unholy pain in the ass (they do their best to hide it and intimidate you into not using it), but it's what I've done.

The problem with unlinking your account now is they don't let you post or reply to comments anymore, and if its anything like it was for me the past few months, they "insist" every time you log on or do anything.

The whole system for it is a joke. Took me 3 searches to find the damn option to unlink it. I liked google back when it was just a search engine.

Yup. Google the company is scummy as hell, one of the most disgustingly messed up entities I've ever had the displeasure of working with.

Edit: Worth mentioning that you CAN now re-link your YouTube channel to a new Google + that doesn't use your real name or contact info anywhere, and instead uses whatever name you pick. They've loosened up on that (thank the light). Before you HAD to use a two part name that they judged a name, or they'd delete it.

Yup. Google the company is scummy as hell, one of the most disgustingly messed up entities I've ever had the displeasure of working with.

Edit: Worth mentioning that you CAN now re-link your YouTube channel to a new Google + that doesn't use your real name or contact info anywhere, and instead uses whatever name you pick. They've loosened up on that (thank the light). Before you HAD to use a two part name that they judged a name, or they'd delete it.

Wrongish. Tried several times they get to a point where they force you too. Or they throw you into a username but take your profile picture away for some reason, then bother you still.

I wish businesses were still held accountable for scummy behavior just like they were 400 years ago. I'm as big a believer in free enterprise and capitalism as anyone else, but I feel tht along with that comes a responsibility to the people to keep businesses honest rather than the government.

There's something to be say for an angry mob with pitchforks and torches burning a place down wen it ruins peoples lives and treats people like shit. In some ways, I wish our world was more like that- it would certainly check the rampant corruption and "fuck you" attitude corps like Gooe have now.

The problem is that capitalism has expanded so much that it's kinda a crappy system for the consumer, which is the opposite of why capitalism exists. These companies have such a massive userbase and so many people are irresponsible with where they spend their money that it's become impossible for the consumer to keep companies honey, which as I said is the entire point of capitalism.

That's the problem with high-tech companies, not everyone can simply start up a service like Google. No matter what they do, you'll still use Google because of its good search 'mechanics' and they know that. Google will keep implementing these kinds of thing because they know they can, all a company only cares about, no matter what they say, is profit.

I don't really see the big deal. Youtube comments 99% of the time offer nothing to the video and are often one of the worse places on the Internet. You don't exactly need anonominity to use it, nor does having that add anything to Youtube. Youtube is a free service run by a business, they can make whatever changes they like, they don't need approval. If you don't like it, use another service. Freedom do what you like runs both ways.

This sums up my view right here on the new system. I honestly had a G+ account way before this happened, so didn't care

Someone make a new Youtube-like website with ads to generate some money but nothing else of the shit Google/youtube are doing on their site, believe me it will make you rich...

It won't really.

While people bitch about the comment systems and such, Google won't do shit until many, many, many high profile YouTubers stop posting videos on youtube and decide to go somewhere else. In the end why do people go to Youtube? Some just browse, others go see their favorite youtubers and therefore it helps bring in money for Google.

"Then why not just block youtube ads. Send Google a message?" great idea, but flawed. You would need to bring in a huge amount of people to make even a slight difference and if it did become a huge enough problem Google would invest more time into circumventing the ad block systems.

At the moment this whole debacle is just hurting content creators more than anything, since comments are able to distribute malicious links and such. While I find it admirable that people would switch to somewhere like DailyMotion or Vimeo you have one problem with that. Monetization. While I'm unaware how Vimeo handles it I'm pretty sure Dailymotion has no system in place, or if they do a pretty crappy one. Not to mention by switching sites your hurting yourself since you would see a drop in how many viewers there were on average, since a 1:1 retention when switching channels or sites is an incredibly tough thing to pull off.

I imagine the only way Google would ever bother to change the system is if a huge chunk of content creators left, or people kicked up so much fuss it started getting covered by reputable news sites and newspapers.

Forgot to add something. Above all else people are generally... well. Lazy. When push comes to shove I doubt people will put much effort in switching sites, creating accounts and following people again.

Edited by Connall

It isn't hurting comment creators.

And the petition (not the only one)

Is a clear sign that people are fed up with the google plus.

Really the only issue is google has Youtube and they know we won't leave, but it doesn't hurt to try.

And there really is a lot of people requesting, the petition is already gotten attention on some news sites, and change.org has stated last Thursday it was the most active petition.

It isn't hurting comment creators.

And the petition (not the only one)

Is a clear sign that people are fed up with the google plus.

Really the only issue is google has Youtube and they know we won't leave, but it doesn't hurt to try.

And there really is a lot of people requesting, the petition is already gotten attention on some news sites, and change.org has stated last Thursday it was the most active petition.

Change.org is a bit bollocks.. The petitions rarely work, and some use the petition as a twisted way of advertising. I don't generally like Change.org.

I don't see how anything about this petition is advertising, but unlike other Youtube changes this got attention of the people in partnership with Youtube, the Co Youtube owner, numerous websites, and people still making comments demanding the change.

I'm not talking about THIS petition, I'm just talking about petitions in general. The one that the whole advertising thing makes me think of is The Division.

I still don't believe online petitions work. IT just feels lazy. I think stuff like "Bob and his army" are more effective because it's a never ending onslaught on their website. Content Creators begin to bitch to Youtube and the CC are the blood of youtube. A petition is  a piece of paper (well not even paper) a website with some names. Names which may or may not be fake, from people who may or may not care. I don't believe petitions to be effective. Boycotts, complaint e-mails and comments are more effective because it forces YouTube to spend time answering/sorting these things out. A petition doesn't. Google can just ignore it, because it's not their problem. Okay some people are complaining about their site, but it's only a petition. It's on it's own site away from YouTube.

If people want to sign the petition that's fine. I'm not going to stop you, more power to you. I don't even have a problem with petitions in general, it's just online petitions I can't stand. I mean there are hundreds if not THOUSANDS of online petitions. We have had petitions to have a Death Star on the white house website with hundreds of thousands of signatures, but I don't see any Death Stars floating in the sky.

I'm not even trying to be mean or anything, I imagine this seems more angry than I truly mean it to be, but I guess that's the problem with the written word. I imagine you would get more attention organizing a group of people to stay off YouTube for one day, I mean if you got 10,000 people to not go on YouTube for a day, you would be making more of a difference because then Google would be losing out on money.

I don't believe the petition is what made YouTube pay attention, I think it was the people commenting, the content creators bitching and the people posting virus links.

That's just my belief though. (fedora)

I don't see how anything about this petition is advertising, but unlike other Youtube changes this got attention of the people in partnership with Youtube, the Co Youtube owner, numerous websites, and people still making comments demanding the change.

I'm not talking about THIS petition, I'm just talking about petitions in general. The one that the whole advertising thing makes me think of is The Division.

I still don't believe online petitions work. IT just feels lazy. I think stuff like "Bob and his army" are more effective because it's a never ending onslaught on their website. Content Creators begin to bitch to Youtube and the CC are the blood of youtube. A petition is  a piece of paper (well not even paper) a website with some names. Names which may or may not be fake, from people who may or may not care. I don't believe petitions to be effective. Boycotts, complaint e-mails and comments are more effective because it forces YouTube to spend time answering/sorting these things out. A petition doesn't. Google can just ignore it, because it's not their problem. Okay some people are complaining about their site, but it's only a petition. It's on it's own site away from YouTube.

If people want to sign the petition that's fine. I'm not going to stop you, more power to you. I don't even have a problem with petitions in general, it's just online petitions I can't stand. I mean there are hundreds if not THOUSANDS of online petitions. We have had petitions to have a Death Star on the white house website with hundreds of thousands of signatures, but I don't see any Death Stars floating in the sky.

I'm not even trying to be mean or anything, I imagine this seems more angry than I truly mean it to be, but I guess that's the problem with the written word. I imagine you would get more attention organizing a group of people to stay off YouTube for one day, I mean if you got 10,000 people to not go on YouTube for a day, you would be making more of a difference because then Google would be losing out on money.

I don't believe the petition is what made YouTube pay attention, I think it was the people commenting, the content creators bitching and the people posting virus links.

That's just my belief though. (fedora)

I do think it was the petition because the petition was referred too.

Beh. Petitions are on there own not that useful but when you add the other things you mention, a list of hundreds and thousands of people agreeing something, it kinda helps reinforce it. Even if some are fake. Change.org Puts in a no voting twice with the same IP. It doesn't matter if the names themselves are fake.

This wouldn't work because youtube has no competition, even if they didn't change the comments where are you gonna go? Dailymotion? Ha.

Why would google bother changing anything just because people bitch and moan, they know they aren't leaving or going anywhere else just because of crappy comments.

• 1 month later...