Biggest Disappointment of 2013?

Xydonus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can now add ArmA 3 onto that list.

After trying out the first part mission of what is no doubt going to be a very short lackluster campaign, I think ArmA 3 is shaping up to be a mainstream mess.

Such a shame, hopefully the community can save this doomed franchise.

Have you played the Arma 2 campaign? It's pretty.... awful. Apart from the occasional sandboxy mission which were alright it was an awful mess of a thing. Out of place music, awful voice acting as well as pretty poor AI. The only reason Arma 2 became so popular before was the niche it was in along with the Modding community and the ability to create epic battles in minutes. Then DayZ came along and brought more people into the fold.

What I think is more deserving to be pissed off at is the content. I'm aware that they wanted to place it in the "near future" but frankly. Screw that. The lack of weapons plus the similarity between just about all the BLUFOR main weapons (I mean seriously what's up with that?) and the lack of vehicles pisses me off to no end. I want my M16 and M14. MP5 and M21. I don't care for the new stuff. I might like it more, if there was more of it, but there isn't. At a first glance it can be incredibly tough to actually tell what the difference between the weapons actually are.

After trying out the first part mission of what is no doubt going to be a very short lackluster campaign, I think ArmA 3 is shaping up to be a mainstream mess.

Have you played the Arma 2 campaign? It's pretty.... awful. Apart from the occasional sandboxy mission which were alright it was an awful mess of a thing. Out of place music, awful voice acting as well as pretty poor AI. The only reason Arma 2 became so popular before was the niche it was in along with the Modding community and the ability to create epic battles in minutes. Then DayZ came along and brought more people into the fold.

What I think is more deserving to be pissed off at is the content. I'm aware that they wanted to place it in the "near future" but frankly. Screw that. The lack of weapons plus the similarity between just about all the BLUFOR main weapons (I mean seriously what's up with that?) and the lack of vehicles pisses me off to no end. I want my M16 and M14. MP5 and M21. I don't care for the new stuff. I might like it more, if there was more of it, but there isn't. At a first glance it can be incredibly tough to actually tell what the difference between the weapons actually are.

Yep, I agree.

But I must stress that the ArmA 2 campaign, while not brilliant, had co-op and the first mission alone was far more interesting than what the first campaign episode threw out. I also feel that we will be getting less content wise with the campaign than previous installments.

This is just another nail in the coffin for the ArmA franchise. As I ranted about before, the creative design and the lack of any sort of meaningful assets on full release is hugely disappointing.

Both ARMA III and Rome II... especially Rome II.

The-AI-has.jpg

Just to stick 2 fingers up at all of you knocking Rome 2, its probably the closest to the original Rome/early series games than any since Empire so not something to really be sniffed at.... yes yes problems..ai oh the horror.. errmm the ENTIRE franchise has suffered from that & to some extent worse than this so nothing new.

Also lets add the money grabbing Sega into the mix, have we seen something similar to this earlier this year? oh yeah Aliens Colonial Marines..(Sure Gearbox as well) but Sega have their hands firmly in CA's pocket & are pulling a lot of strings there no doubt, including false advertising & in my own opinion are responsible for the DLC frenzy TW games have become.

I wouldnt be surprised that the game WAS in a far better state at some stage but them being forced to pull parts out for dlc an then patching it back for release. Just a thought..

Anyways..

We just live in an age where people fart and move on so quickly that nobody stands a chance anymore, the audience so fickle that 1 misplaced comment is unforgiveable. Gamers just need to relax, is Rome 2 perfect? No.. but is it fun?. yep so thats mission accomplished then unless your looking for something else? & if you say Crusader Kings 2 then if your looking for a medieval marriage simulator then why play TW games anyway:/

As for disappointing ive gotta say Dead Island Riptide as the biggest pile of doo this year..buggy (yes worse than Rome 2) short (less than half the size of the orig) a real mess of a release and none of the after sales comms that CA provided.

Deep Silver tsk tsk..

Not true. Shogun's AI was far superior; explain why its managed to end up stupider. Even Rome I's AI provides more of a challenge. It's logical, at least, and very moddable. The overall design and concept of Rome I worked so much better than Rome II's streamlined attempt. I'm not saying it's terrible; I'm saying their design decisions didn't work out. 

I agree SEGA is partly to blame, too. I imagine they didn't bother if the game was actually working before they released it. 

The battles in Rome II are nothing like Rome I's, and are less tactical than every previous Total War game. You just can't use proper strategy. Battle lines don't exist, it's just a giant, pathetic blob.

New Update!

X-COM Enemy Within.

Releases worldwide on 12/11/13, which means the 13th of November for us in Australia. Okay. That I can understand. The game releases retail, in stores, on November 14th. Strange, but not too bad. The game itself unlocks for play on Steam on November 16. November 16.

Flashbacks to me getting my shiny new retail preorder of X-COM Enemy Unknown and being unable to play it for two or three days because it has to unlock on Steam first.

Stupid modern-era-game-release-logic. It drives me bananas at times.

One of the largest dissapointment for me is probably Neverwinter.

It's just another nail in the coffin of the good old dnd rpg era ....

Didn't even play it; knew it was bad news from just looking at the amount of classes they got. It had shallow gameplay written all over it.

Yep, I agree.

But I must stress that the ArmA 2 campaign, while not brilliant, had co-op and the first mission alone was far more interesting than what the first campaign episode threw out. I also feel that we will be getting less content wise with the campaign than previous installments.

This is just another nail in the coffin for the ArmA franchise. As I ranted about before, the creative design and the lack of any sort of meaningful assets on full release is hugely disappointing.

That is true. I think this generation is showing more than anything that nostalgia for the old doesn't mean the new will be good or better. I expected more from these games and I also expected ALOT more from Takedown (seriously, what the fuck?) it's kind of made me think that these series should probably stay dead to avoid more disappointment. 

Well, after trying it out on a friends computer and watching him fail at it (he's never played any of the previous games) I can honestly say that X-Rebirth is another big disappointment.

O well, it will certainly improve post-release but regardless of how many patches they can't revert the mechanics. They sold out the PC audience to accommodate the console market, which is fine in some respects but they really did a number on emphasizing 'For Consoles' part.

Shame.