The new Cooking System !

RobertJohnson

Heya peeps,

So, we've worked on a new cooking system, trying to make it more user friendly, much more realistic and cool.

Please bear in mind that it'll be in test and numbers may be tweaked ! It'll probably be in test in the next update...

2qbbuog.png                             33a76dv.png

1) The new recipes !

Let me introduce the new "evolved recipe", let's have an example (brace yourself, you'll have a tons of example in this post !) :

Spoiler

How to add an item for a recipe ?

Example of Chicken (directly in items.txt) :

Spoiler

What does this mean ?

Now to make a soup, you'll need a water pot, and at least one of the ingredient in the list, so yeah, it look like the same ol' recipe... But, as you can see, there's more than that in this recipe, some ":10", ":15" etc. This mean that we gonna take only the number for hunger reduction, let me explain :

To create recipe/add ingredients, just right click on the base item (Water pot or Pot of soup)

I create the soup with some Chicken, the chicken item say Soup:15, I'm creating the soup and it'll be a soup with 15 hunger reduction, while my Chicken will have -15 hunger reduction, meaning I can add more than 1 time Chicken (Chicken have 40 base hunger reduction).

Then I could add some carrots in my soup, etc. As you probably saw, there's a limit of 6 ingredients in this soup.

You can also add a "Cookable" in the recipe, meaning the recipe can be cook.

But also ask for a ingredient to be cooked before being added (think about a chicken sandwich, you won't cook the sandwich, but the chicken need to be cook), like this :

EvolvedRecipe = Sandwich:5|Cooked,

Please note that even if you have a Chicken with only 5 hunger reduction left, you can still use it (but will only use 5 hunger reduction for the recipe, and count as 1 ingredient).

2) Bonus, bonus, BONUS !

We all love numbers ! (do we ?) So let's have a look at bonus for your recipe.

Everytime you add 1 item, you'll add the hunger reduction + some hapiness/boredom reduction (5 per items), exepct if you're adding more than 1 time the same item, you won't have a hapiness/boredom reduction, and more than 2 times, you'll start to have malus in this properties, have an example ! :

- Create soup from Chicken = Soup with 15 hunger reduction, +5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Chicken = Soup with 30 hunger reduction, +0 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Chicken = Soup with 45 hunger reduction, -5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Chicken = Soup with 60 hunger reduction, -10 hapiness/boredom reduction.etc.

But don't think that adding 6 differents ingredients will give you 6*5 hapiness/boredom reduction ! It depend on cooking skill, a better chef will be able to add more ingredient and mix them well, so every cooking level will allow you to add 1 more ingredient without a hapiness/boredom malus, another example ! :

Level 0 cooking :- Create soup from Chicken = Soup with 15 hunger reduction, +5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Carrots = Soup with 30 hunger reduction, +10 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Broccoli = Soup with 45 hunger reduction, +5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Leek = Soup with 60 hunger reduction, +0 hapiness/boredom reduction. 
Level 2 Cooking :- Create soup from Chicken = Soup with 15 hunger reduction, +5 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Carrots = Soup with 30 hunger reduction, +10 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Broccoli = Soup with 45 hunger reduction, +15 hapiness/boredom reduction.- Add Leek = Soup with 60 hunger reduction, +20 hapiness/boredom reduction.etc.

Level 2 cooking mean I can add 2 more ingredients and still have the hapiness/boredom reduction bonus.

PLEASE NOTE : The cooking level WON'T influence the hunger reduction ! Only the hapiness/boredom reduction.

3) What's the difference between a good chef, and a bad one... ?

So, if cooking skill doesn't infgluence the hunger reduction of the recipe, how does it works ?

It'll reduce the used hunger reduction of the base item, ooook, another example because I'm sure you love them :

Level 0 Cooking :- I create soup from Chicken, meaning my Chicken will have : 40 - 15 hunger reduction = a chicken with 25 hunger reduction.Level 2 Cooking :- I create soup from Chicken, meaning my Chicken will have : 40 - (15 - 10%) hunger reduction = a chicken with 26.5 hunger reduction.

This mean I can use more time my Chicken !

Cooking skill will also influence the time to add ingredient in your recipe.

You'll also gain 2 xp per ingredients added.

4) Rotten Food ? NOT ANYMORE !

Erk. Yes, you can now use rotten food in your recipe... That's... Disgusting...

You first need to be at least level 4 in cooking, if you have a rotten ingredient in your inventory, at level 4 you can use 5% of his hunger reduction, and 10% at level 5, let's have an example :

Im level 5 cooking and have a rotten Chicken (40 base hunger reduction), I add it in my recipe :
- Create soup from rotten chicken : Soup with (10% of 40) = 4 hunger reduction (and Chicken totally consummed)

That's maybe not a lot, but still can use any rotten food in your recipe !

Reality explanation : "A skilled chef has managed to cut away the parts which are still fine and used them." -Andy.

Geez, I have to add more quote, they look awesome...

5) Get a spicy day !

You can also add salt and pepper to your recipe, it will not count as ingredient but add a slight hapiness/boredom reduction bonus, you can only add 1 unit of each spices in your recipe.

Spice can be Salt and Pepper (for almost all recipe), Ketchup and Mayonnaise for some other recipe (sandwich, burger..).

6) Excuse me sir, want some bleach with your soup ?

Once you have at least 3 ingredients in your recipe, you can add Poison inside your food, to poison your fellows "mate".

The poison can be detected by them though, each poison have a detection level (bleach is quite normal, poison ivy is low...) and a poison power, here's some example :

Bleach : Detection level 7, Poison power 40, Dose of bleach per use : 15 (the Bleach have 60 thirst reduction, meaning 4 dose total)

- I'm a level 3 chef.- I add Bleach inside my recipe, Detection level = 7 - 3(my cooking lvl) = 4 -> Meaning you need to be at least lvl 1 cooking to notice it.- Poison power is now 10.- I add Bleach again, Detection level is now 4 + (7-3) = 8, but capped to 5 (meaning ANYONE can detect it's poison !)- Poison power is now 20 though.

So, what does this poison power thing mean ?

Once you have been poisoned by food, you'll start to get some pain (after 20min ~), after some time being sick (around 1h30-2h30, depend on the strength of the poison) and start to lose health, you can try to eat a lot to counter this effect.

A power of 20 won't kill you, but will let you with really low health ! And you'll need some time to fully recover.

A power of 30 will kill you, even if you manage to eat well.

Here's the icon when you detect a poisoned food (may be not the final one) :

minu49.png

7) That's cool, but if I want to make custom recipe... ?

Oh, first of all thanks for saying it's cool.

Once you added at least 3 ingredients, you can rename your recipe ! Make it your very own, just right click on it and select "Rename *insert food name*.

Transform your Soup into a Mighty Soup of Awesomness + 50 !

8) Planned recipes !

Here's some example we have in game :

• Soup
  • Stew
  • Sandwich (cold)
  • Burger
  • Pie (Fish Pie, hell yeah UK boys !)
  • Cake
  • Pan Fried vegetables
  • Salads

9) Soooo, is it over... ?

NO KIND SIR ! More things are planned (probably done tomorrow, I was just too excited to not post this now...), like :

Use of "bad food" (like dog food, dead rat...), a good chef could "hide" their smell and so make good food from them.

Add "unique recipe" for example creating a hot sandwich, add meat patty, salad, tomato, pickles, ketchup and it'll become a "Burger" with a slight bonus in his stats... (or a malus if you dare making a Fish pie... (actually kidding... It'll add a bonus if you're from UK only :D))

Add sleeping pills, broken glass, etc. as poison.

Add a Chef profession..

Remember we're always open for suggestion ! :D

Absolutely fantastic! Glad to see my bleach in soup idea caught on (and people thought I was crazy for wanting to poison people  (fedora) )

Can't wait to see these in game and what else you come up with, great work!

Actually it was an Andy's idea after talking about fish pie.. (who said Fish pie are like poison ? Mmh, not me... :P)

Absolutely fantastic! Glad to see my bleach in soup idea caught on (and people thought I was crazy for wanting to poison people  (fedora) )

Can't wait to see these in game and what else you come up with, great work!

Actually it was an Andy's idea after talking about fish pie.. (who said Fish pie are like poison ? Mmh, not me... :P)

There was a lengthy discussion on the steam forums about it, but it got out of hand when people suggested adding nails etc to the soup. But one good idea was adding sleeping pills to soups, instead of murdering someone you could force them to sleep then steal all their stuff :P

RJ, thanks for making these threads for preparing us for the next release. The cooking overhaul is awesome.

What about Chef as a profession? It should give a trait which makes you make tastier food(more hunger reduction) or something like that.

RJ, thanks for making these threads for preparing us for the next release. The cooking overhaul is awesome.

What about Chef as a profession? It should give a trait which makes you make tastier food(more hunger reduction) or something like that.

Deffo a great idea, I'll add it in my TODO list ! :)

How does this fit in with the improved UI that is supposed to be in development? Seems to me this is just a UI update thats going to become obsolete in the future.

It's much more than just a UI update. It's an entire overhaul of the cooking skill to make it work better and feel better for the game.

We really need to be able to grow chili's and add them to our recipes... Your characters heat level should rise from eating them, but they help you overcome normal sickness (and colds), and could maybe give you a better resistance to sickness (not the zomboid sickness)

You cant have a great chef without a great Chili con Carne recipe (with Beans, coffee and chocolate, thank you ;-))

How does this fit in with the improved UI that is supposed to be in development? Seems to me this is just a UI update thats going to become obsolete in the future.

The same code that makes tooltips and menus work will work with the new UI. 

Primarily the planned UI is largely an inventory interface overhaul so little will be impacted by the cooking system.

Can't wait to get more sources of food to go with this tasty cooking update. Particularly more renewable ways to get things like eggs, flour, and milk  :D

But that's neither here nor there. Time for me to stop being off topic  :oops: