Released: Build 32.27

EasyPickins

Steam Workshop:

There's a new "Workshop" button in the main menu screen. That takes you to a screen where you can upload mods to Spiffo's Workshop. Look in your user Zomboid\Workshop\ModTemplate folder for an example of how to arrange your files for uploading.

Note that uploading Workshop items is broken on Linux due to a Steam bug.

Steam Multiplayer:

There is now a proper anonymous dedicated server that can be installed and updated using SteamCMD. This is a separate Steam application. Here is an example of the commands you might use to install/update a server on Windows using SteamCMD:

login anonymousforce_install_dir C:\PZServerapp_update 380870 validatequit
Steam servers require one additional port to function. This is in addition to the DefaultPort= setting. The port can be specified in two ways:
  • In the server's INI file as SteamPort1= (just ignore SteamPort2=).
  • Using command-line options -steamport1.
Steam versus Non-Steam:

You will see "(Steam)" next to the version number in the main-menu screen when running a Steam-enabled client. Steam-enabled clients can only connect to Steam-enabled servers.  If you want to start your client in non-Steam mode, you can add -nosteam to the launch options in the game's properties. A server can be started in non-Steam mode as well using the -nosteam option.

Steam servers still require an account username and password, however be aware that you are logged into the server using your Steam account credentials. Other players can see your Steam avatar and profile name in the scoreboard regardless of the server username you choose.  This can be disabled by server admins by setting SteamScoreboard=false in the server's INI file.  SteamScoreboard=admin turns off avatars and profile names for everyone except admins.

Steam Broadcasting:

This allows other people to watch you play.  Open the Steam Overlay, click Settings, click the Broadcasting tab, then click the link at the top beside "Broadcast Status" to start a broadcast. There may be an easier way.

Build 32.17

• Fixed "Craft All" with water sources from context menu. (Issue #001925)
  • Fixed clicked-on item not being used in some recipes. (Issue #001919)
  • Fixed damage-bonus miscalculation at some Blade/Blunt levels. (Issue #001933)
  • Fixed Axeman tree-chopping damage bonus only applying to Axe/AxeStone, not custom mod axes. (Issue #001932)
  • Fixed being able to scavenge above ground level. (Issue #001926)
  • Fixed multiple zombies possibly sharing the same ID# in multiplayer (immortal zombies bug). (Issue #001907)
  • Fixed latestSave.ini ("Continue" button thing) getting written with Multiplayer save info.
  • Fixed "Continue" button being clickable after loading a game. (Issues #001970, #001951, etc)
  • Fixed LuaEventManager.AddEvent() not allowing mods to create custom events. (Issue #001958)
  • Fixed loot-respawning not working correctly after 1365 in-game days. (Issue #001923)
  • Fixed rain not rendering for all coop players. (Issue #001981)
  • Crafting UI tabs can have different widths to support translations better. (Issue #001979)
  • Fixed inventory window not sorting by custom Category. (Issue #001956)
  • Fixed Calendar bug for players in Thailand locale.
  • Fixed campfire sometimes not cooking in multiplayer. (Issue #001977)
  • Server logs include the names of players placing/throwing bombs. (Issue #001965)
  • Fixed bombs not getting removed from the ground after exploding in mp.
  • Fixed bombs burning water tiles. (Issue #001941)
  • Fixed is-it-raining status saving/loading. (Issue #001945)
  • Fixed inventory tooltip not updating/hiding when it should. (Issue #001909)
  • Show error message if "Continue" button can't load the most-recent save.

Build 32.18

• Health panel overhaul: damaged bodyparts are in a scrolling list.
  • Added highlighting to the button-labels in MainScreen.
  • Allow the EXIT button to be activated by the controller.
  • Fixed zombies that are attacking getting pushed by other moving zombies.
  • Also fixed the player getting pushed too much by zombies
  • Unequip fishing net when placing it.
  • Fixed calling sendObjectChange() in ISPlant when not on the server.
  • Fixed InventoryPane tooltips showing when another window is in front.
  • Removed xeno-mods.com from list of valid mod URLs. (Issue #001960)
  • Don't do the latestsave.ini for multiplayer game.
  • [MP] Added KickFastPlayers server option. Don't kick players that were made invisible by an admin
  • [MP] If NoFire is set on server, walls won't burn (from pipe bombs for example)
  • [MP] Prevent copying a character (MP or SP) to another server

Build 32.19

• Fixed not being able to splint a fracture
  • Fixed some bug in the health panel
  • When destroying a window with a sledgehammer, the sheet rope will also disappear
  • You can now use rope and not just sheet rope for the window
  • Fixed being kicked on server if your sprinting skill was high

Build 32.20

• Updated LWJGL (OpenGL library) to version 2.9.3.
  • ComboBox dropdown list is now a ScrollingListBox. This fixes things like the languages combobox going offscreen.
  • Disable "mouse look" after the player dies. If the player died while right-clicking, the view sometimes got stuck to the mouse pointer.
  • Fixed movement-speed bug with multiple fractured/injured body parts. (Issue #001997)
  • Added tabs to the Options screen and controller-enabled most of it.
  • Added new volume controls to the Audio options.
  • Double-tapping the Start button on a controller goes to the main menu. In multiplayer, a single press goes to the main menu (since there's no pause). Pressing Start again in the main menu returns to the game.
  • Fixed "Smash Window" doing multiple attacks per animation against barricades.
  • Fixed transfering all recipe items marked 'keep' from other containers when crafting.
  • Campfire/tent actions take items from surrounding containers.
  • Allow walls and door frames to be built when the player is standing on the same square.
  • Don't show inventory-window buttons overtop the column header.
  • Refresh containers in inventory/loot windows after building or destroying something. (Issue #002007)
  • Fixed two carpentry windows forming a SE corner not blocking movement. (Issue #002022)
  • Fixed carpentry window frames not blocking zombie migration/respawning.
  • Fixed fake-dead zombies doing damage when the player is not in front of the zombie.
  • Added 24-hour / 12-hour clock option.
  • Fixed missing ">" character in ServerWelcomeMessage breaking chat and other things.
  • Don't allow "|" in save-folder names (not allowed on Windows).
  • Fixed joypad trigger/d-pad buttons conflicting with other buttons. Usually the triggers and d-pad are treated as a single axis, but on some controllers they are individual buttons.
  • Added -ip server commandline option to handle multiple network cards.

Build 32.21

• Fixed the game not running is Steam's "offline" mode.
  • Added -nosteam option to client and server to disable Steam integration. Set it using "Set Launch Options" in the game's Steam properties window.
  • Added checkbox to public server list to display servers running incompatible versions.
  • Steam servers display "Ping" instead of "Last Update" in the public server list.
  • Stop MersenneTwisterRNG() going to random.org to get a seed.
  • Require longer 'E' press to climb over a fence when there's no floor on the other side.
  • Load mods from Zomboid\Workshop\* folders so modders don't need to copy files.
  • Fixed Mac build not loading networking libraries due to missing libsteam_api.dylib.
  • ModSelector has "BACK" button in same place as others screens.
  • Clicking 'Get Mods here!" button opens Spiffo's Workshop in the Steam overlay or Steam client.
  • Workshop items called "Mod Template" are marked as private.
  • Workshop items containing a mods/ folder are tagged "Mod".
  • Workshop items containing a maps/ folder are tagged "Map".
  • KickFastPlayers=false by default because it doesn't work right for some people.

Build 32.22

• Fixed (?) Mac OS X build.
  • Fixed not reporting a failure to create a new Workshop item.
  • Fixed button layout in the Mod screen after resizing the game window.
  • Distribute steam_appid.txt so .bat files work.
  • Fixed ProjectZomboid32.bat trying to use 64-bit Java.

Build 32.23

• A little red notification pops up for a few seconds in the bottom-right corner of the screen after an exception occurs. Currently it simply shows the number of exceptions that have occurred.
  • Added SteamScoreboard=true|false|admin server option to show/hide avatar + profile name in the players list.
  • PublicName and PublicDescription are updated for Steam servers after /reloadoptions.
  • Fixed fast-forward keys working in the menu screen. (Issue #002055)
  • Fixed rapidly pressing 'E' key not smashing a window. (Issue #002051)
  • Added "Mute" button to the player's list. This stops that player's chat messages appearing.
  • Stopped chat scrolling when new messages appear if the chat isn't scrolled all the way to the bottom already.
  • Fixed Workshop uploads and Steam overlay on Linux (thanks Blindcoder).
  • Fixed Mac Steam-stuff/multiplayer not working (thanks Rathlord and EnigmaGrey).

Build 32.24

• Fixed the ban-ip button in the players list not adding the IP address to the db file.
  • Remove any banned IP address for a username when using /unbanuser.
  • Added server option to enable/disable VAC on Steam servers. In the server's INI file, use SteamVAC=true|false. On the server command-line use -steamvac true|false.
  • Fixed (?) ProjectZomboid32.exe failing to start due to Java not being able to allocate heap space.
  • Added -modfolders command-line option to control where mods are loaded from. "-modfolders workshop,steam,mods" is the default. Any of the 3 keywords may be left out and may appear in any order.
  • Fixed a certain packet bouncing between client and server causing the server to crash.
  • Made the "Take Dirt/Gravel/Sand" commands more hack-proof in multiplayer.
  • Fixed Lua require() function not working for mod files. (Issue #002075)
  • Don't display a dialog box when a sound can't be loaded (except in debug mode).
  • Fixed going fullscreen when the current window size isn't a valid fullscreen resolution. The game now finds the closes fullscreen resolution to switch to. (Issue #002009)
  • The server lists now display whether each server is whitelisted.

Build 32.25

• Fixed highlighting on carpentry doors when placing them. (Issue #002080)
  • Fixed being able to build multiple doors on a door frame. (Issue #002079)
  • Fixed not being able to build doors in "walls with door hole" without a frame.
  • Fixed destroying a door frame leaving a floating door. (Issue #002077)
  • Fixed exception when a controller.config file specifies an invalid axis.
  • Fixed non-admins sometimes seeing local chat of invisible players in chat log.
  • /grantadmin and /removeadmin now update the 'admin' status of connected players.
  • Fixed spamming "Chop Tree" cutting trees faster. (Issue #002054)
  • Fixed exception after removing a DrainableComboItem from inventory. (Issue #002086)
  • When loading items, discard any items whose saved type does not match that in items.txt.
  • Fixed deactivating a mod deactivating all it's required mods. (Issue #002091)
  • Crafted items that don't fit in the player's inventory are dropped. (Issue #002085)
  • Fixed axe condition lowering 2x as fast when attacking a tree compared to the "Chop Tree" action. (Issue #002090)
  • "Not effected" -> "Not affected" Outdoorsman trait description. (Issue #002089)
  • Instead of writing the server's IP address in player files to prevent copying, give each server a randomly-generated ID number saved as ServerPlayerID= in the server's INI file. If ServerPlayerID="", then this protection is disabled.
  • Added right-click menu to Chat with Clear command.
  • Limit chat messages to 256 characters to combat spamming.
  • Added "Local IP" to the saved-servers list for Steam servers. If you are trying to connect to a server on your local network and it fails when testing the TCP download port, set your server's LAN address in the Local IP field. (Issue #002092)
  • Limit helicopter sounds to one every half hour of game time.
  • Added Mac server scripts for running a server from the install directory (not SteamCMD).

Build 32.26

• Fixed SafeMode getting set on single + dual-core machines. This required setting zoom/shaders in the options every time the game started. (Issue #000886, #001534, #001946)
  • Fixed exception when rendering the new controller UI.
  • Fixed 'Reload config files' doing nothing for controllers that hadn't been activated yet.
  • Fixed Linux server not running due to a lack of jinput.jar.
  • Fixed setting ServerPlayerID= to the empty string not disabling the what-server-was-this-player-created on check.
  • Fixed /changeoption not allowing an option's value to be set to the empty string.

Build 32.27

• Added RCON (remote console) support on the server. When enabled, the server accepts console commands through a TCP connection. A simple RCON client is provided in the rcon/ folder of the game. There are two options in the server INI file, RCONPort and RCONPassword. If RCONPassword is left empty, then RCON is disabled.
  • The tabs in the Crafting window will scroll horizontally if the tabs are wider than the window. They can be scrolled with the mousewheel or by clicking a button. (Issue #002100)
  • Added console messages about Steam vs non-Steam clients and servers when connecting to a server fails.
  • Require long 'E' press to climb through a broken window with no floor on the other side.
  • Attempted to fix "laggy" zombie combat in multiplayer. The server sends updates every turn (12 times per second) for the 10 closest zombies to the player. (Issue #002098)
  • Made quotes around arguments optional in all server commands.
  • Added _chat.txt log in multiplayer.
  • Added _item.txt log in multiplayer to log item drop/pickup, corpse add/remove.

Edit: An update was just released to fix an issue with servers using RCON. You'll want to update + restart your server if you're using it.

How does one set up a server for Steam while also keeping existing server settings and data?

I've had my co-op server set up with port forwarding and now the server doesn't work on the Steam version so I may have to temporarily switch to the non-Steam version for now, I'm interested in making a server for Steam so I hope there's a detailed guide on how to do it.

Lemme know if I should make a separate thread for this question.

How do i downgrade my clien? Because now i cannot access my hosted server... or how do I upgrade my hosted server to work with the new steam feature? I cannot find where is the option to allow the nosteam?

It's in the post, but I'm also wondering how to set up a Steam server.

tl;dr Go to Steam Library -> Project Zomboid -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options -> type "-nosteam"

Then start up game, boom. Your server will work again.

Steam versus Non-Steam: You will see "(Steam)" next to the version number in the main-menu screen when running a Steam-enabled client. Steam-enabled clients can only connect to Steam-enabled servers.  If you want to start your client in non-Steam mode, you can add -nosteam to the launch options in the game's properties. A server can be started in non-Steam mode as well using the -nosteam option.  

You also have to install the server per the OP. Old servers won't work.

The OP? You mean the SteamCMD? I did something with it and I typed in 

login anonymous

force_install_dir C:\PZServer

app_update 380870 validate

quit

The force_install_dir prompt didn't do anything, even when I tried to put my directory in C:\Users\Ellis\Zomboid\Multiplayer\servertest instead.

The app_update command worked though.

Also yeah, can we get a guide on how to convert to Steam servers, I've been looking around for one and I can't find any.

force_install_dir is the directory where the server will be downloaded / installed by steamcmd.

Oh, true.

After doing all that, what is the process to creating the server? For example; transferring server data (characters, the world, etc.) and PZ settings to the new server? Can we get a guide on this or some step-by-step process later on? I'd mess around myself but at the moment I'm playing on the non-Steam version to pass time with friends.

force_install_dir is the directory where the server will be downloaded / installed by steamcmd.

Oh, true.

After doing all that, what is the process to creating the server? For example; transferring server data (characters, the world, etc.) and PZ settings to the new server? Can we get a guide on this or some step-by-step process later on? I'd mess around myself but at the moment I'm playing on the non-Steam version to pass time with friends.

Please. I wasn't even aware SteamCMD was a thing untill now, and some lines of code might as well be in greek for me.

You shouldn't need to transfer anything.  The server's savegame is in Zomboid/Multiplayer/YourServerName the same as before.

Sorry to sound really stupid, but force_install_dir can be used on any folder you want to move the server to and after that you can connect to it the old fashioned way using your IP or localhost address on the Steam version?

Edit: And do you mean the ProjectZomboidServer.exe in common/ProjectZomboid?

You shouldn't need to transfer anything.  The server's savegame is in Zomboid/Multiplayer/YourServerName the same as before.

Sorry to sound really stupid, but force_install_dir can be used on any folder you want to move the server to and after that you can connect to it the old fashioned way using your IP or localhost address on the Steam version?

Edit: And do you mean the ProjectZomboidServer.exe in common/ProjectZomboid?

There are 2 different things:

1. Where the server is installed.  This is determined by force_install_dir.  SteamCMD will download and install the server files there.  You will run the server from there using either StartServer.bat or ProjectZomboidXX.exe.  On Linux there's start-server.sh.
  2. Where the server's world is saved.  This is the same as always.  By default on Windows it is C:\Users\<You>\Zomboid\Multiplayer\<ServerName>.  The server will save the world here no matter where you installed the server using SteamCMD.

There are 2 different things:

1. Where the server is installed.  This is determined by force_install_dir.  SteamCMD will download and install the server files there.  You will run the server from there using either StartServer.bat or ProjectZomboidXX.exe.  On Linux there's start-server.sh.
  2. Where the server's world is saved.  This is the same as always.  By default on Windows it is C:\Users\<You>\Zomboid\Multiplayer\<ServerName>.  The server will save the world here no matter where you installed the server using SteamCMD.

Okay, thanks. I'll try it later today.

ok, I got it working. Not sure how, but everything seems smooth. My next big question is, if its possible to install workshop mods into the server, or do I need to use a diffrent method to get those to work?

Getting the server to download workshop items is broken currently.  There's a WorkshopItems=  setting in the INI file but the server just endlessly waits for the download to start.

You'll have to install mods the old-fashioned way by putting them into the Zomboid\mods folder.

On my computer workshop items are installed here:

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\108600

Alright thanks! I assume that once whatever is breaking it is fixed, you just need to subscribe to the mod and it work install to the server?

What's supposed to happen is, you add the list of Workshop item ID numbers in the server's INI file, and the server will download / install / update them.  But the DownloadItem() call isn't working for whatever reason.

WorkshopItems=490954937;492428344;492886697;492887139

Im all lost now... I dont know how to make my paid/hosted server to work with the new steam(pzgame) can you upload a tutorial for peoples hosting server from a host compagny plz? nobody can log into the server since the new pz update ;(

I don't know how you got the server onto the hosting company's computer.  Some hosts install the server for you, and others require that you install it.  If you install the server yourself, you should run steamcmd on the hosting company's computer.

Client update via steam. Problem with the server update on my Linux dedicated server.

Command used (username and password are filled properly):

./steamcmd.sh +login steamusername steampassword +force_install_dir /home/steam* +app_update 108600" validate +exit

The result is:

./steamcmd.sh: line 34: /home/steam/steamcmd/linux32/steamcmd: No such file or directory

What the hell is going on?

There is in fact a steamcmd file in that directory, its permissions are set to rwxr-xr-x

Help please?