Released: Build 32.27

EasyPickins

Not sure why you keep trying to do it all in one line .  . . Type the following, one line at a time:

Go to the directory housing SteamCMD.

Without setting force_Install_dir, the game will be installed into /home/username/Steam/steamapps/common/Project Zomboid Dedicated Server/

./steamcmd.sh

login anonymous

app_update 380870 validate

quit

And I can only guess the error indicates it can't connect online or to Steam for some reason.

On Linux (and only on Linux) you can pass -pzexeconfig filename.json to use a custom .json file.  I could change it so it looks for ProjectZomboid64.site.json or similar if that's easier?

why only linux? it would be better all systems has the same command line options.

i have a custom webinterface for my gameservers (win & linux) .

command lines are stored in database, so i can make change any time if needed, without to open/edit the gameserver files through sftp/ftp

Like:  ProjectZomboid64/32 -maxRam 1024M -minRam 1024M  -others

You don't have to use ProjectZomboid64/32 to start the server.  At the bottom of start-server.sh is code for the old way of starting the server straight from Java.

i know that, but ProjectZomboid64/32 is a good identifier, instead of java in the running task. 

Will something like this work? Arguments before -- are passed to the JVM.  Arguments after -- are passed to the game.

ProjectZomboid64 -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -- -nosteam

By the way, I tried the method described here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514493377

to launch the client in non-steam mode by specifying a parameter -nonsteam
It does not work.
Launched the client with steam integration anyway, displaying my steam name in the player list.

To run our roleplay server we really need to get the non-steam mode working, because a big part of our game revolves around player anonymity, people all know each other, but don't know who is playing who.

I'm a noob at Linux. I got the server running in Steam mode, and the client running in Steam mode. Server is Linux.
I need like the "for idiots" instructions on how to break the server and the client out of steam mode.

I looked at the .json files on the server, and I have no clue what modifications to make.
What does it mean to pass it a custom json file?

All the help is super appreciated, guys! This is way more complicated than before.

By the way, I tried the method described here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=514493377

to launch the client in non-steam mode by specifying a parameter -nonsteam

It does not work.

Launched the client with steam integration anyway, displaying my steam name in the player list.

To run our roleplay server we really need to get the non-steam mode working, because a big part of our game revolves around player anonymity, people all know each other, but don't know who is playing who.

I'm a noob at Linux. I got the server running in Steam mode, and the client running in Steam mode. Server is Linux.

I need like the "for idiots" instructions on how to break the server and the client out of steam mode.

I looked at the .json files on the server, and I have no clue what modifications to make.

What does it mean to pass it a custom json file?

All the help is super appreciated, guys! This is way more complicated than before.

To hide Steam avatars + profile names in the scoreboard, set SteamScoreboard=false in the INI file.

If you want only admins to see those things, set SteamScoreboard=admin.

The option is -nosteam not -nonsteam.

Will something like this work? Arguments before -- are passed to the JVM.  Arguments after -- are passed to the game.

ProjectZomboid64 -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -- -nosteam

a little example in php ,  because i can't code in java :P

./ProjectZomboid64.php -maxRam=1024M -minRam=1024M -noSteam

will result:

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -nosteam

#!/usr/bin/php<?phpparse_str(implode('&', array_slice($argv, 1)), $_GET);$arg = array();if (isset($_GET['-maxRam']) && $_GET['-maxRam'] !== null ) {        $arg[] = '-Xmx' . $_GET['-maxRam'];}    if (isset($_GET['-minRam']) && $_GET['-minRam'] !== null ){        $arg[] = '-Xms' . $_GET['-minRam'];}    if (isset($_GET['-noSteam'])){        $arg[] = '-nosteam';}    echo 'java ' . implode(' ',$arg);

What part is point? That i don't have friends? Rude  :cry:

5326974.jpg

Get. Memed. Bitch. Get. Memed.

Warning:

If you're admin you're not allowed to read this. Content of this post isn't a joke. Totally. 100%. Eat memes.

The ammount of people using the Steam servers will be higher than those win non-Steam servers, so it'll be easier for you to find friends.

Considering there is nothing that prevents you nor your currently imaginary friends from just using the non-Steam version of the game, you could still with friends if you had 'em. :)

Soo...

People with steam can't play with people on non-steam? Well... That sucks. Hopefuly i don't have friends to play with.

Kind of the point. There's no security outside of whitelisting otherwise.

So basically you are saying that you don't care about non-steam mode users. Shame.

So basically you are saying that you don't care about non-steam mode users. Shame.

Well, basically, no. No one is saying that. This is a limitation from Steam- it's not possible to have Steam and non-Steam people playing on Steam based servers (you connect with Steam ID). Non-steam users can still play multiplayer, and Steam users can still play multiplayer with them by toggling the -nosteam option.

Well, basically, no. No one is saying that. This is a limitation from Steam- it's not possible to have Steam and non-Steam people playing on Steam based servers (you connect with Steam ID). Non-steam users can still play multiplayer, and Steam users can still play multiplayer with them by toggling the -nosteam option.

What you are basically saying is to let steam do all the anti-cheat handling. In short-term for business production, this is a solution, however as a dependency. What is this for non-steam. This is a very subtle way of saying, "Well, we don't know.". What I am hearing from this is "Steam multiplayer is more important", which I already understood early on in the steam migration. That's not shocking at all. What's shocking is how quickly TIS is to abandon concerns over possible security issues outside of steam integration.  

Well, basically, no. No one is saying that. This is a limitation from Steam- it's not possible to have Steam and non-Steam people playing on Steam based servers (you connect with Steam ID). Non-steam users can still play multiplayer, and Steam users can still play multiplayer with them by toggling the -nosteam option.

What you are basically saying is to let steam do all the anti-cheat handling. In short-term for business production, this is a solution, however as a dependency. What is this for non-steam. This is a very subtle way of saying, "Well, we don't know.". What I am hearing from this is "Steam multiplayer is more important", which I already understood early on in the steam migration. That's not shocking at all. What's shocking is how quickly TIS is to abandon concerns over possible security issues outside of steam integration.  

Yeah, no. If that were the case we wouldn't be heading towards more approrpiate logging and methods to detect and disable cheaters server-side. This is something that both non-Steam and Steam sever hosts and players benefit from. There's no bias between them because it's the same game.

That said, non-Steam is effectively the Wild-Wild West. Steam provides much better authentication and protection than we can.

That's not a case of not caring -- that's just our reality.

I'm not saying these things to lecture or force someone's hand to care about the perspective I mentioned above ( A bit rude, and I have no issue apologizing about that.). I feel strongly about this because of the consistency between both options, and I know that this team here has made a very tough decision to move on. 

This is my opinion though. No one has to like it. I don't like the decision TIS has made. I just want to have some form of consistency between the two options. If one option isn't being used, then what is the point of having it? Why go half way when you can share a basic form of protection between both versions? A lot of things seem unanswered, and if that isn't too time consuming to explain, I'd like to at least know why non-steam servers have been handled this way.

I at least have the right to ask questions. I don't expect answers to these questions. 

This is my opinion though. No one has to like it. I don't like the decision TIS has made. I just want to have some form of consistency between the two options. If one option isn't being used, then what is the point of having it? Why go half way when you can share a basic form of protection between both versions? A lot of things seem unanswered, and if that isn't too time consuming to explain, I'd like to at least know why non-steam servers have been handled this way.

I at least have the right to ask questions. I don't expect answers to these questions. 

Are you seriously attempting to try and argue that we remove the non-Steam component now?

Is this like some weird devil's advocate thing where first, you're upset that you perceive us focusing on Steam, and now you try to force us to do exactly that, or it's going "half way?" Or are you suggesting TIS set up the same infrastructure as Valve and the same authentication scheme so the two are equal?

We don't have to like your opinions or your questions, but I'd really appreciate it if you were less dramatic when stating or asking them.  :-|

Are you seriously attempting to try and argue that we remove the non-Steam component now?

Is this like some weird devil's advocate thing where first, you're upset that you perceive us focusing on Steam, and now you try to force us to do exactly that, or it's going "half way?" Or are you suggesting TIS set up the same infrastructure as Valve and the same authentication scheme so the two are equal?

We don't have to like your opinions or your questions, but I'd really appreciate it if you were less dramatic when stating them.  :-|

Well I tried asking this properly several times. I guess even talking about it straightforward as it is is not going to either. I'm done asking questions here.

Well I tried asking this properly several times. I guess even talking about it straightforward as it is is not going to either. I'm done asking questions here.

Neither question was straight forward. You seemingly tried to twist my words into something else when I mentioned that non-Steam is less secure (it's only real mode of protection being relying on a whitelist, instead of Steam's authentication system), and frankly, I'm still confused as to what you think you're asking, as it seems quite different from what you typed.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I am about to have an anuerysm at this point. After trying multiple methods. Resetting everything. And going again. No one is giving clear instructions on how to run and connect to the server.

I have never successfully ran a server. I am new to this. Dont assume I have done anything besides what I say below.
I am running windows. Downloaded and successfully ran the SteamCMD and its app update for the dedicated server. Now what. Every port on my router is open, so port forwarding is irrelevant. I do have workshop items as well, hydrocraft ect. I saw them update uwhen i ran app_update from steam cmd so until i can check the server that seems to be in order. How do I run the server. How do i configure it. How do i connect to it. How do others connect to it. I have Hamachi if it helps at all.

I have no idea why the text looks like this. Sorry.....

Nero, if you could post this in its own thread in multiplayer support that'd be great. Unless you've already posted in Steam support- if you did post a link an we'll help you there if we're not already. I have a feeling you've already got a threat there.

Nero, if you could post this in its own thread in multiplayer support that'd be great. Unless you've already posted in Steam support- if you did post a link an we'll help you there if we're not already. I have a feeling you've already got a threat there.

Didnt start my own thread just yet. Have questions on all the others, but since you're  the only response ive got ill put my own thread up i guess.